Bad Day! - tr7v8
In the Bracknell office today for a performance review, lots of praise... good job pat pat. So a good day, coming down the A322 from Bracknell towards the A30/M3 road works so we're all queuing. Just as we get to the cones, I let someone across into my lane & a Polish lorry driver decides he can go as well & thumps the back of the Jag
I pull over, a little way on having got his number, he speaks not a word of English, German & Polish yes. I ask for insurance he's not having any of it. So 999 & after 20 minutes a very nice Traf plod from Surrey comes out in & he tries to get details. 40 minutes later after he has struggled we have a form filled out!
Mr. Pole reckons he was in the right & couldn't see me, for gods sake he's hit the NSR wheel arch & bumper on the Jag with the front 3ft of his truck, is he blind.

Sorry to share this but had to have a rant, real pain is I've had it 6 weeks or so, the garages prep was poor so they had it back in & made a cracking job of the dings & chips, now it's molested. *^*&^*&^ foreign lorry drivers

Then spoke to insurers they said fine you have £200 excess & Protected NCB. The spoke to Legal bit of insurers & they said they do have success with foreign insurers but it takes a looong loooong time.

So decided to get in touch with paint guy who did the door scrapes & chips for Guy Salmon when I bought it. He made a brilliant job, which I'm not so sure an insurance repairer would. He's come out, quoted £455 VAT & can take it in next week whilst I'm in Frankfurt! So with £200 excess & it'll nail at least £150 onto the next few renewals I've decided to cough the dosh myself & then ask the legal people to pursue the Poles insurers to get the money back.

The guys name for the Record is

Colin Lamb
Isle of Sheppey
Kent
01795 872374 or 07785703412

PS asked about him tidying up the 944 when he finishes the Jag & it turns out he used to be a 911 owner!

Bad Day! - rogue-trooper
You say you have a protected NCB amd then you say that it might add £150 on to the next few renewals. I thought the point of getting NCB protected was to prevent this.

(Sorry out of touch with insurance these days as have been on a fleet policy for past 15 years)
Bad Day! - tr7v8
No what happens is that yes you keep your NCB but when they ask at renewal, have you had an accident they load what they charge you!
eSure were quite pushy about this even after I pointed out the a previous accident was totally no fault & no claim to my insurers as we reclaimed EVERYTHING!
Bad Day! - Jemima Can
NCD is just a price reduction for lack of claims - if you're paying for protected NCD (which you do - there is a cost) and your premium goes up after a claim and they say it was because you had this claim - I would query this further
Bad Day! - PR {P}
I wouldn't think it would add that much if you've got NCB protected. I had a fault claim 2 years ago now, my premium went up about £60 IIRC. They work the premium out (slightly loaded with the claim) then knock off your NCB as before.
Bad Day! - tr7v8
But it's not just the Jag, I have a 944 & a TR7 V8 on classic policies as well!
Bad Day! - rogue-trooper
Isn't there a policy that you can have more than one car on (provided that there are few or no other named drivers) that doesn't penalise you too much as they (the insurers) realsie taht you can only drive one car at any one time
Bad Day! - UncleR
And I wouldn't be too sure that your insurers haven't logged your accident even though you aren't going to claim.

I reported a ding to my wing a few years ago and asked about the claims procedure. After they explained the excess etc. I said it will be cheaper for me to get it fixed myself and I wouldn't claim on insurance Come renewal time, the first thing they said to me is "I see you had an accident in July". Which was technically correct.
Bad Day! - Aprilia
If you have notified insurers of this accident then it will be on your record. Also you are using their legal dept to recover costs so I can't see how you'll dodge a loading....?
Bad Day! - mk124
You emphisie that getting the insurance money could take a long time.

I can remeber having an accident with another UK driver and the insurance companies took a whole year or more to sort it out. It all depends on which insurer the truck driver has covering him.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Bad Day! - Westpig
I don't want to depress you too much.......but 3 years ago a British lorry clouted my S Type really hard, whilst it was parked.......clown was still parked around the corner when i got back to it......did over 5 grands worth of damage

because he denied it... and still does......despite some decent evidence (paint samples i took, which for long reasons went via a forensic science lab, paid for by police)....his ins co, via his company, wouldn't pay

to this date i'm out of pocket and have had higher premiums on my car,wife's car, bike and presumably classic car policy (didn't check)

I had 'legal protection' which was useless.......was given a decent Mercedes C Class courtesy car by a 3rd party company who set their lawyers on to it .....but eventually everyone, inc me, was too scared to initiate court action .......so he/they got away with it

still galls now, but you're stuck really......

i would imagine foreign ins co will be a right old hoo-hah