Brakes...... - Paul I
I am about to buy new discs and pads front and rear for my Renault Laguna MK ii Tourer. Today I spent 30 minutes ring different factors and suppliers such as Eurocarparts and well as the main dealer for prices the question is assuming all products are sold to a minimum standard (I think its CE marking ) then what is the difference between a set of £16 front pads and ones at £46. Will my car stop 3 times as quick ?? or will they just last 3 times as long ??
Brakes...... - bathtub tom
Many years ago, I found I could buy 'Moprod' brand disc pads from Halfords much cheaper than OE, or recognisable brand from, main dealer or motor factor.
A few weeks later, descending a Welsh mountain, with caravan in tow, they faded to nothing!
Judicious use of the handbrake, and managing to get second at 50 MPH plus, eventually gave us enough retardation.
I now only buy OE from main dealer or reputable motor factor.
Guess what shop I avoid?
Brakes...... - David Horn
Same thing applies in the bike world - every time I buy cheap, I regret it, and end up buying OE ones anyway. Particularly this time of year when all pads seem to be lasting about 6 weeks the cost soon adds up!
Brakes...... - Aprilia
Stick with major brands and you'll be OK (Delphi, Mintex, Ferodo, Teves etc).
Brakes...... - Hamsafar
CE doesn't really mean much here, it just means they conform to all EU Directives applicable to brake pads, the only one I can think of is that they don't contain asbestos or some other hazardous material.
Brakes...... - Blue {P}
I had my pads changed by a local place, supposedly for OEM branded ones but I'm thinking I may have been conned. Whatever they fitted seems to give off a huge amount of brake dust that has literally destroyed my front alloys.

Always go with OEM but only when you know that it's OEM that you actually get!

Blue
Brakes...... - Collos25
You should have no problems with kit sourced at GSF or Europarts.
Brakes...... - LeePower
Good old GSF, couldnt even supply a set of discs for a 2003 Pug 206 last week, First they tried to supply the wrong type, then they came out with they couldnt supply the ones to fit my car!

Anyway for brakes, Ferodo Premier for the pads & Brembo for the discs everytime.
Brakes...... - tr7v8
I had my pads changed by a local place, supposedly for
OEM branded ones but I'm thinking I may have been conned.
Whatever they fitted seems to give off a huge amount of
brake dust that has literally destroyed my front alloys.
Always go with OEM but only when you know that it's
OEM that you actually get!

That's why I run EBC Greens in all my cars! Virtually no dust & what their is is much softer to wash off!
Brakes...... - L'escargot
CE doesn't really mean much here, it just means they conform
to all EU Directives applicable to brake pads, ........

That's correct. The CE marking is no indication of quality of material or manufacture ~ it is merely a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European Directives. . The same thing applies to all goods having the CE marking.
--
L\'escargot.
Brakes...... - jc2
Even the ones made in the Far East which have CE markings but have never been or will be tested.
Brakes...... - Hamsafar
The don't have to be tested, it's a declaration being made.
Brakes...... - MW
This really is an area where the minimum CE standard is just OK, but you can do so much better by buying an OEM part, or a top make. Brakes are not only about performance (which is crucial) but feel, bite, and sentitivity.
I always buy ECPs best brand (Textar in my case, and these are actually Mercedes specified, as the first pair I changed were Textars with a star on the back!.
The other benefit is that good pads bed-in very quickly and are not spongy.
For a Renault, get ECPs best and you will be fine.