Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - BobbyG
Don't know if this episode was shown nationally last night, it featured the accident on the M3 that tragically a 23 year old woman was killed due to a lorry driver being on his phone and running into the back of her.

This has certainly opened my eyes to using mobiles at the wheel, I will confess it is something I have done in the past but when you see the stark reality of what can be the outcome then it really opens your eyes at to whether that call is important.

Secondly, it also opened my eyes as to why motorways sometimes need to be closed off for accident investigation. If you are waiting in the resultant traffic it can be very frustrating but compare that to the death of the driver and it pales into insignificance. Without the prompt response of the accident investigation unit then critical evidence could have been lost as a result and the convicted driver could have went on to do the same again on the road.

Lastly, I have full admiration for the family liaison officer who has to go to the deceased's house and break the news to her loved ones, not knowing what he is going to face.

All in all, a real eye opener.

Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - my old mondeo
My brother is a traffic cop for Thames Valley, and I wouldn't do that job for 3 times his salary. Everytime I mention getting another motorbike he rolls his eyes to the top of his head.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - rogue-trooper
from what I see in London the threat of 3 points for using a mobile seems little deterrent. Without wanting to overly generalise (or be accused of being misogynistic) the last dozen or so drivers that I have seen have all been women. I am not sure quite why it is apart from some of the women that I have talked to don't want to look bad by having a blue tooth ear piece stuck to the side of their head! White van man seems more than happy.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - colino
Just returned from the states and it is amazing how things that were common here just a handful of years ago look horrific/distasteful now. Smoking in bars, slugging from beer bottles in Malls and using the mobile while driving appear very dated now.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Dalglish
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1

i didn't see it, but was it a repeat of this one:
traffic cops - Kevin Wed 8 Nov 06 22:36
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46518&...e
" ..The fatal accident at M3 J6 ..."

Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - BobbyG
Dallglish, yes, same program.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Mad Maxy
BobbyG: agree.

Re the 'deterrent' of 3 points and 60 quid, I walked half a mile down the A4010 to Tesco and back the other day and saw three people on their mobiles while driving. I just happened to notice them - wasn't even looking...
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Robbie
There are so many where I live, and so little chance of getting caught I doubt if a life sentence would prevent them using a mobile 'phone.

A couple of weeks ago I was behind a white van on the A580 and we were both turning right at traffic lights. He mounted the central reservation before stopping at the red light. When the lights changed he bounced off the kerb and I then saw he had his 'phone glued to his ear.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - perleman
I got a Bluetooth kit professionally installed, cost 120 quid including installation. It's genius, and lets me make and recieve calls to my hearts content while I drive, convieniently & safely. The fuse went last week and today I ended up taking a call by holding the handset, and quickly realised how severely it impairs my ability to drive safely. I can't understand why more people don't get these.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - UncleR
In normally enjoy watching Traffic Cops but this episode was just upsetting (very worthwhile and informative programme, just upsetting). Even my other half who hates 'silly car programmes' was gripped by it.

On a lighter note, I found it funny the way the guy who had ditched his car explained it to his boss - something like "I've put my car down a ditch, accidentally". Accidentally? Under what circumstances would this have happened deliberately?!
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - leef
I have also been amazed at the amount of people still on there phones especially on the motorway driving at high speed, it's made me think of getting a handsfree kit installed, saw an advert in the paper for Halfords, who are doing a "Parrot ck3000" fully fitted for £99.99, read the some reviews and seems to be a decent piece of Kit. Its also on Amazon for 50 odd quid (not fitted) and is a doddle to fit yourself according to some reviews? So come pay day I'm having one, not worth the 3 points on my licence for 3 years or somebodys life for the sake of a quick call.

Lee
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Dynamic Dave
I've yet to see anyone on the phone while driving since the new law was implemented.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Stargazer {P}
DD,
I've yet to see anyone on the phone while driving since
the new law was implemented.

Try visiting Oxford, still about 1 in 10 drivers using a handheld phone during rush hour.

StarGazer
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Dynamic Dave
DD,
Try visiting Oxford,

Stargazer, Oxford isn't far up the road from me.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Stargazer {P}
>> DD,
>> Try visiting Oxford,
Stargazer, Oxford isn't far up the road from me.

DD,

I walk through the centre of Oxford most days on the way to the train station, usually past stop start traffic most of the way, some days I almost wish I had a camera on me! Now the weather is better and some cars have the wondows open I even get to follow one half of an animated phone conversation as a car slowly drives alongside the pavement.

StarGazer
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Westpig
it's businerss as usual in North London i'm afraid..........there's bound to be a period when there's a crackdown, which will mean shed loads of people will end up with 3 points

will non transgressors end up with cheaper insurance, because all the people with 3 points are paying more and their policies are loaded?
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - terryb
Our local paper (Bournemouth) snapped 9 in an hour at one local junction, plus one putting on lipstick while driving. There's even a picture of one wally taking a picture while driving (both hands on the camera) of the newpaper cameraman.
--
Terry
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - FotheringtonThomas
This has certainly opened my eyes to using mobiles at the
wheel, I will confess it is something I have done in
the past but when you see the stark reality of what
can be the outcome then it really opens your eyes at
to whether that call is important.

Using a telephone, hands free or not, has been found to be more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol. See the TRL Report commissioned by Direct Line:

info.directline.com/xxx/news.nsf/64125738690474fe0...f

"Hands-free was safer than using hand-held mobile phones. However, the conversation itself
is a major distraction, with the use of hands-free phones carrying hidden dangers. As a
result of this finding, even the use of hands-free proved more dangerous than driving under
the influence of alcohol."
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Kiwi Gary
I travel overseas a bit, and this debate seems to be happening in a lot of countries. Personally, I have a hands-free kit with separate speaker and microphone { but not bluetoothed }, set up so incoming calls ring twice and then connect, and disconnect when the other party hangs up. I never call out unless firmly stopped. I don't find it any more distracting than having a conversation with other passengers, especially if it is about a technical problem at work which requires me to think. It does make me wonder when Helthnsaftee will require cars to be built with separate drivers' cabs like the old Routemaster buses on the theory of no distractions to drivers.
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Cardew
I don't find it
any more distracting than having a conversation with other passengers, especially
if it is about a technical problem at work which
requires me to think.

That's your perception.

My perception is that I would drive much better if I drank several whiskies first.

I suggest tests might prove us both wrong.

Indeed there have been countless tests in many countries that say Mr/Ms Average's driving is impaired if using a phone, or under the influence.

Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - FotheringtonThomas
>>> I don't find it any more distracting than having a conversation with other passengers,
>>> especially if it is about a technical problem at work which requires me to think.
That's your perception.
My perception is that I would drive much better if I
drank several whiskies first.
I suggest tests might prove us both wrong.

That perception is addressed in the TRL report - it's quite interesting! Have a look!
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Vin {P}
"I don't find it any more distracting than having a conversation with other passengers"

IIRC, researchers found that passengers tend to pause their conversation as you approach hazards, as they can see them too. People on the other end of the phone don't know that you're entering the five roundabout system in Swindon, so they carry on talking. This leads to lack of concentration.

If I do end up on my handsfree, I make the conversation short and often interrupt with "hang on a minute" as I approach hazards.

As I say, this is all remembered rather than validated. Also, I have no doubt at all that it depends on the individual.

V
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Pugugly {P}
"on the other end of the phone don't know that you're entering the five roundabout system in Swindon"

That sounds so much like something that Douglas Adams could have written in the first draft of HG2TG !
Last Night's Traffic Cops on BBC1 - Vin {P}
"That sounds so much like something that Douglas Adams could have written in the first draft of HG2TG !"

I wonder if the similarity comes from the fact that I was listening to Episode 12 of the radio series on the train to London this very morning? Even after listening to it a dozen times, I was still laughing out loud on the train - guaranteed to raise an odd look on a commuter train full of dozy regulars.

V