Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - roda
Hi

I am looking for a small 2nd hand 4x4 and have read all the reviews available. I am thinking along the lines of either a Toyota Rav4 - Suzuki Vitara or a Daihatsu Sportrak. Alot of the reviews I have read are conflicting so I would appreciate your opinions.

Has anyone any thoughts on these? ....What should i look out for?....- or should I consider any others? ( my budget wont stretch to a Honda - as much as i wish it would!!)

Regards and thanks in anticipation!

Wilroda

Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - barchettaman
Budget?
Likely use (on/off road)?
Diesel or petrol? Any preference?

Be a wee bit more specific :-)
Hi
My apologies for not being specific.

Budget up to £3K
Preference for petrol but wouldnt discount diesel
Likely use - on road but we live in a rural area and there are some pretty rough country lanes!
Would prefer manual, but am ok with automatic.....depends on recomendations

Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - Nsar
You could pick up a 2000 W or X reg Subaru Impreza 5 door for that money. 4WD but a car, ultra reliable, very popular in rural areas.
No apology needed.
Autobild here in Germany just did an article on second hand budget 4x4´s, the original Toyota Rav4 was rated best of the bunch. Others will be able to advise on what your 3k will get you. Best of luck.
It came out top of a bunch including:

Subaru Justy (1990-1995), Toyota RAV4 (1994-2000), VW Golf II Syncro (1986-1991), Daihatsu Terios (1997-2006), Fiat Panda 4x4 (1983-1995), Kia Sportage (1994-2002), Kia Retona (1999-2001), Lada Niva (ab 1995), Suzuki Samurai (1988-2000), Suzuki Vitara

Obviously some of those aren´t available in the UK but you get the picture.
Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - mss1tw
Only a Humvee will do.
Thanks very much for your advice. Not sure about the Himvee though!!

The Toyota Rav4 pre 2000 looks good. I think I will look around for one of them

Regards
Wilroda
I notice you mention the Suzuki Vitara. How do you rate this?
Having looked around it appears to be a little cheaper than the Rav4.
Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - nortones2
I find that cars manage rough country lanes somewhat better than most 4x4. Its fun to watch them plough though bends as if they had their brakes on, and those with live axles put in a display of hopping sideways, until they back off. A friend bought a Merc 4x4 recently: he should have tried it out in the country lanes first, as I suggest the OP does.
Recommend me a 2nd hand 4X4! - Aprilia
I live in a rural area and if you don't actually go off road or do any heavy towing then a Subaru 4x4 will be most sensible. They can handle ice, snow and muddy roads very well. They have the extra advantage over SUV-type 4x4's in that they handle well and are very agile and ride nicely with little pitching or rolling.
You have the choice of Impreza Wagon (get a post-2000 'Newage' one) or a Legacy. The running gear is essentially the same on both - extremely well proven - but the Legacy body is obviously larger.
If you really want an SUV 4x4 then a Rav4 is as good as anything.