Cars for the disabled - Jan
MY PARENTS (IN THEIR 70S) CURRENTLY OWN A PEUGEOT 306 1.4 WHICH MY DISABLED FATHER NOW FINDS DIFFICULT TO CLIMB INTO. THE TOP OF THE DOOR IS TOO LOW AS HE FINDS IT DIFFICULT TO BEND HIS BACK. IS THERE A MODERN CAR THAT YOU CAN RECOMMEND WHICH OFFERS A GOOD DOOR-SIZE WITH GOOD INTERNAL HEADROOM IN THE CAR? HE'S IN A WHEEL CHAIR SO THEY WILL ALSO NEED GOOD BOOT SPACE WITH NOT TOO HIGH A LIP TO THE BOOT. (THE VW POLO 2 DOOR IS NOT SUITABLE BECAUSE THE WHEELCHAIR IS TOO DIFFICULT TO MANOEUVRE INTO THE BOOT.)
Re: Cars for the disabled - Cardew
Yaris Verso - See the Hj's road test on this site. An extract:-

C
Re: Cars for the disabled - Cardew
Trade Sales(www.trade-sales.co.uk) have the top of the range Toyota Yaris Verso GLS with Aircon, ABS, Metalic paint etc for £9,499 or £9,999 for the automatic. A big saving on the UK list. (RFL and indemnity fee another £170)

C
Re: Cars for the disabled - Richard P
The Citroen Xsara Picasso may well be worth looking at. I know someone who has mobility problems and can climb into this car with ease compared to her previous car.
Re: Cars for the disabled - KB
Two good suggestions above - Yaris Verso and Picasso. The Scenic is of course similar to the Picasso but slightly smaller and discreet looking, but will be replaced next year with a brand new model offering either 5 or 7 seats as I understand it. Certainly the Verso is roomy and has a side opening rear door rather than the more conventional hatchback as in most others, but unfortunately hasn't got a height adjustable drivers seat found in the hatchback version and tends to make you feel as though you want to sit up a bit higher as there's so much space above your head. Ideal if you have a 'bouffant' hairdo though or have inadvertantly jammed a pressure cooker on top of your head. It comes as a Manual or Auto in petrol form (1.3 litre) or with a 1.4 common rail diesel engine.

Don't forget the Berlingo/Kangoo option. They're good if you want sliding back doors and are extremely tall. You can get wheelchair conversions on the Kangoo and Berlingo. They're done by a firm called Brotherwood ......... www.brotherwood.com Again, both come manual or Auto and have diesel options (manual only).
Brotherwood also convert other vehicles including the Fiat Multipla. Details on the website.

KB.
Having thought further, maybe the Kangoo Multispace with the sliding doors AND, if need be, have the option of having side opening back doors (like in a delivery van) instead of the top hung hatchback door. You might find these easier to operate - the hatchback door is a monster on these as it's such a tall vehicle. It really is a big door to lift open. This option only costs £50 inc. VAT and would be worth considering.

Problem solved! (Unless you don't like French cars).

KB.
It MAY be that you can't have the twin (van type) side hung back doors as I mentioned above in the Citroen Berlingo Multispace - only on the Renault Kangoo, on which they are definitely available as stated as a £50 option.

KB.
Re: Cars for the disabled - Mahatma Coate
I am in my 40s but I have arthritis in my back (which means I can't bend it). I can get into the Focus without hitting my head (but not the Mondeo). Might be a bit more refined than an MPV or a van.
Re: Cars for the disabled - vansboy
Whichever vehicle they choose, check out the dealer is clued up on the Motability scheme & that you get them all of the benifits/entitlements they can claim.
Mark