Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - daviedubs
I have posted on here several times with the same problem and have received some good advice, but I am now struggling with what to do next !!!!! Basically I have a 2004 2.0 DTi Zafira, I have always been concerned about the fuel consumption figures compared to the Vauxhall stated 35mpg urban and 53mpg extra urban, this has been confirmed by the vauxhall dealership (they managed 41MPG on a run of 100 miles at 58-60mph) due to this they agreed with me and have had the vehicle in about 10 times and changed about 10 different things, this has had no effect. This got passed over to Vauxhall technical and they said this figure is exceptable. I have searched on the net and found other Zafira driver reports and they are achieving the 53 MPG or close to it. As a result of all this I am basically getting told by vauxhall customer service that the only reason they changed all these bits was to try and keep me happy when they new there wasnt a problem (whos gonna beleive that?). Also if some Zafiras of the same year/model as mine can do 53mpg and mine can only do 41mpg ive basically bought one that is at the low end and ive just been unlucky, I dont beleive this either. Please someone confirm im not going mad (this has been going on for 2 1/2 years) and give me advice on how to take this further?

thanks in advance
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - Collos25
When people tell me how much mpg they are getting no matter how technical their explanation I take it with a pinch of salt ,a good friend told me how much his astra diesel did and one day I sat in the drivers seat and pressed computer stalk and found it was doing far less than he had stated its like my BMW it does 45mpg sometimes but genuinly averages 24.
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - DeepBlue
Never believe the on-board computers - they are often way out.

With my brand new Volvo, I reset the fuel computer each time I fill up. By the time it's used a tankfull it reckons 42mpg. When I brim the tank again and work it out manually it's actually doing 57mpg.

Also it's not uncommon for on-board computers to be measuring in US Gallons instead of IMPERIAL Gallons. This causes a much lower MPG reading than actual.
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - Altea Ego
The only way to get a valid MPG reading is to average it over two complete brim/empty tank cycles. Check the odo when empty, brim the tank, check the odo when empty and brim it again. Have you done this? what does this tell you?

Certainly vauxhall didnt as it was only 100 miles. All in all everyone is relying on inaccurate information,

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
i have been monitoring the fuel consumption for over two years, and record every fill up and so have got an average mpg for the last 18000 mile, this works out at 36mpg, a lot of this is round town so not to bad........but i can only get about 39mpg on a run, obviously vauxhall got slightly more cause they were trying to prove the advertised figures.........if they didnt agree it was low they wouldnt have changed all the bits
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - DeepBlue
QUOTE "The only way to get a valid MPG reading is to average it over two complete brim/empty tank cycles. Check the odo when empty, brim the tank, check the odo when empty and brim it again.

only one tank full is needed providing you brim it to the same point
yep thats what ive been doing every time over the last 2 years total of about 45 fill ups!!! which works out at about 36. And when I do it on a long run only get about 39.
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - a900ss
I assume that you are comparing like for like.

My BMW mostly does long distance motorway driving, it delivers over 50MPG on these constant speed, fully-warmed up runs. If I just drive to the shops, it will only deliver 30MPG!!! Only cars that drive mostly long distances, fully warmed up with few short stop-start drives are even going to achieve anywhere near what the manufacturers claim,

If you only ever do short journeys (20 miles or less), forget the manufacturers numbers, complete cookoo land.
Zafira diesel engine doesn't like a run - SpamCan61 {P}
This does sound pretty weird in that your real life consumption sounds close to the Vx figure for mostly urban driving but miles out on a run. Unless you are running the tyres at 10 psi or towing a huge caravan when on a run then I'm stumped. At least the problem is costing you less than 200 quid per year in extra fuel, assuming my rough calculation is correct :-/
thats right spam.....but its becoming more of a battle now!!!!!
yeh agree with that but I would be getting poor fuel consumption all round - 10% difference between urban and extra urban just isnt right.......and vauxhall would not have spent literally hundreds (if not thousands) on something unless they knew there was a problem