Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some bad news this morning - or is it? I have used Millers Diesel Plus in my 307 110bhp Hdi from new in June 2005 - not every tankful but quite a lot. A letter in HJ's column this morning says that there are 2 types of diesel plus, one for EU3 engines and one for EU4 ie mine and I have used the wrong one for the whole time! I shall contact Millers on Monday but in the meantime any thoughts, please? I am particularly concerned about damage to or loss of efficiency of the particle filter.
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - oilrag
This is how I would see it if it were my car,
I would think, whether the fuel additive has done harm or not doesnt matter anymore, because its already happened and theres no going back.
I would be surprised if theres a problem to be honest, but thats just opinion and not based on research findings.
IMHO, It seems to me that a lot of these additives are more a `feel good` product, at best, given the vast mileages that common rail diesels are racking up with no evidence that the BS standard for Derv, needs supplimenting.
I think of the thousands of hours of testing and research that have gone into developing both the Derv ( and BS standard) and common rail pumps to be compatable.........
Sorry, not meaning to sound trite , its difficult to put an opinion in this format sometimes without seeming so.
Regards
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - chukter
I believe the EU4 option was developed by Millers specifically for use with particulate filters on EU4 compliant engines, so if there was a problem, this would be the first place to check.

A phone call to their technical department should answer your concerns, and it would be appreciated if you could post their response here, as I for one would be most interested to know.

Whilst on the subject of EU3 & EU4, can anyone help in establishing when EU4 compliant engines came onto the market, as I`m unsure if my car (2002 BMW 320d SE) is EU3 or 4 ?????
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - Ian D
I have a 2002 BMW 320d as well, and it is definitely not EU4, I believe it is only the very new shape 3 series that is EU4 (the one the has been out just a year or two.

From memory new diesels had to meet EU4 standards from late 2005.

A helpful man at Millers told be a few weeks ago the new Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 is backwards compatible, i.e. it can be used in EU4, EU3 and earlier diesels, however the standard Diesel Power Plus should only be used up to and including EU3, (i.e. not EU4 cars)
Thanks for the replies to date. EU4 became a requirement in October 2005 but cars were ,in some cases, compliant before that date. I shall ring Millers tech help line at 0901 on Monday and post the answer here!
I rang Millers technical helpline this morning (01464475060). The gist of the conversation was:-

1. The new additive for EU4 engines has only been out for about 2 months

2. No damage will have been caused by using the original additive in an EU4 engine

3. No point in using additive with any 'premium' diesel brands (etc)

4. Worth using if you run on supermarket cheapo fuel.

My own calculation is that the cost of supermarket fuel plus the right amount of Millers is less per litre than the cost of Optimax or Ultimate.
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - Collos25
Its all snake oil a procedure started by Redex and after all these years people still believe in magic.
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - a900ss
I have a 2002 BMW 320d as well, and it is
definitely not EU4, I believe it is only the very new
shape 3 series that is EU4 (the one the has been
out just a year or two.
From memory new diesels had to meet EU4 standards from late

My BMW 320d, a 2004 '04' is certainly Euro 4, I don't pay the 3% co car tax surcharge.

a900SS
Millers Diesel Plus in a 307 Hdi - oilrag
"Its all snake oil a procedure started by Redex and after all these years people still believe in magic."

I always used to bypass the tooth fairy as a kid and just got the cash, now I bypass the additives and just put decent fuel and oil in........