Choice for new car - cmbdon
Hi

Time to get a new car , I have looked around and taking into account my budget (apprx £2000 ) and my choices are narrowed to the following :

Vauxhall Vectra (01 ) plate petrol 83,000 on the clock
Volvo S40 (do they do these in Diesels? )
Saab 9-3 or 9-5 (again looking for diesel model )

Looking at Volvo and Saab for safety reputation as well which is important to me.

anyone any thoughts or experiences on any of these models?

cheers all

Cmbdon
Choice for new car - stunorthants26
Yes the S40 came as a diesel. Personally id choose the Volvo as I have a soft spot for one although look at the small petrol engines as they can be nearly as economical.
Choice for new car - Brian Tryzers
The Saabs are much the nicest cars on your list but not in diesel form. The 2.2 TiD engine is a really noisy, rattly old thing and does nothing for the civilized ambience of the car. I had a 1996 900 and a 1998 9-3 in 2.0 petrol form and the 9-3 in particular was a delight. By 2001 you could have it with the 150 bhp 2.0 LPT engine for a bit more oomph in the higher gears - the 130 bhp non-turbos I had were quick enough but needed revs to get them moving. Both typically gave me about 33 mpg. Get one in Cosmic Blue with the honey-coloured velour seats and no wooden dashboard inserts and I think you'll be very pleased.

The 9-5 is likeable too, especially in estate form, but I'm not sure you'd get a good one for £2,000. Or you could ask James Ruppert, who'd probably tell you to get one of the last of the old 900s instead - complete with sighing power steering. I like the 9-3, though, and those who sneer that "It's a Cavalier underneath" are missing the point in a big way - it's a far nicer thing to own and to live with, and full of touches that make you glad they took the trouble. And once you're used to a Saab, a column-mounted ignition lock in anything else just seems to get in the way!