Passat tdi 1998 -central locking problem - ianden
My front passenger door central locking does not work. Before I buy a new unit I would appreciate advice. Not long ago my carpets were soaked after heavy rain, which I understand to be a common problem . Could the failure of the c/l be due to the ecu getting wet or is that unlikely seeing as all other locks work OK?
Passat tdi 1998 - George Porge
www.passatworld.com/

I'm pretty sure there's a fix some where here if you can solder?
Passat tdi 1998 - ianden
Dox- I can solder. But what/
Taken from the above passatworld link

www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmecha.../

;O)
Passat tdi 1998 - mark25
Taken from the above passatworld link
www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmecha.../
;O)

If you're that lazy, why not just drive to the garage and pay the bill?
He may not have seen the link, it happens
Passat tdi 1998 - ianden
Yes, I have now seen the link, thanks. It's very good and I've stripped the unit down, found a couple of suspicious joints, now OK and I've just reassembled the unit. Won't know until tomorrow if it works. Will let you know. If it works it's saved me £80 quid. If not at least I know more about the car. Cheers.
Your welcome, let us know if its done the trick ;O)
Passat tdi 1998 - Stuartli
You may not also be aware that VW had, at least in the case of the Golf/Jetta, a large supply of door membranes around this time that failed after a few years, subsequently letting in water.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The Jetta went out of production in 1991, the door lock assemlies sit inside the doors and are subject to moisture even if the membranes are'nt passing rainwater into the interior.

Passat tdi 1998 - jag
not just the golf/jetta, the whole lot can have bad door membranes. jag.
Passat tdi 1998 - ianden
A result! Following the weirdbiscuit.com link was excellent. After resoldering the dubious joints I tried the unit but no joy until I realised that the large connector had to be plugged into the winder unit. Then it worked for four times then everything went dead including the couresy light and the windows. My first fear was that the ecu had failed after I had checked that the fuse was OK. However there are two fuses for the system, 15 amp and 5 amp; the 5amp fuse had blown due to the door light connectors shorting because of a damaged connector. My fault, I forgot about the lamp when I removed the trim. Anyway, new fuse and everything works fine. So, over £80 saved (that's just the cost of the part) and another poke in the eye for those who say home mechanics is dead.
Thanks for your help.
Passat tdi 1998 - ianden
Sorry, The link that worked was taligentz.com. cheers again.
Passat tdi 1998 - ianden
I'll get this right eventually! The corrrect link is www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmecha.../ but then you knew that already. The weirdbiscuit link sorted out my blocked drains problem.

Pleased you got there in the end ;O)