Le Car Hire - Lee H
Hi everyone,

I'm off to Corsica in June and am looking to hire a car to whisk me around. Does anyone have any experience of hiring cars here (from Banfacio), is there anything to watch out for and any compaines to recommend?

I've heard that with the mountain roads I need a small car, but as there's four of us and all the luggage that might not be an option - would a Laguna be too big for the mountain roads?

Is there anything I should watch out for in the hiring, or special deals I could hope to get?

Any advice, as ever would be much appreciated.

Lee.
mail the gallery.
Re: Le Car Hire - crazed
try one of the discount brokers in the sat or sunday papers, usually much cheaper than booking direct
Re: Le Car Hire - UKC32
Few years back now, but we got a taxi from the airport then rented an open top jeep type thing once we'd settled in and explored on foot - may even have been based on the old Renault 4. Great fun, for tracks up in the mountains, and getting your shoulders burnt.
Loads of local firms hire those, and you must haggle if they're not too busy...can't recall what we paid, but got about 20% off for a week.
Oh yeh, its all coming back to me - beware the mad coach drivers coming down the hill at you.
If you're nervous, forget the R4, go for **** crash protection.
Sorry can't help more, but have a great time, and seriously, watch out for the Wild Boar if you do go up in the mountains.
Re: Le Car Hire - David Millar
Bent a hired 2CV against a rock in Corsica while trying to swat a bee buzzing around my head. The locals drive all sizes of cars so it's a question of just how nervous you will be for the first day or two on narrow roads in the uplands. You will occasionally see two lines of tyres marks disappearing over the edge of the mountain roads so take care.

Around Bonifacio you should find some local hire companies. I hired in Ajaccio so can't help. Try an internet search on 'voitures location Bonifacio', that's how I found the car I'm hiring next week in Toulouse.
Re: Le Car Hire - Lee H
Thanks all,

I tried the back of the telegraph and only "holiday autos" covered Bonifacio (which I can now spell correctly!).

If it was just me then I'd probably just hire when I arrive but I'm going with the in-laws so don't want to increase the stress for them. I'd absolutely love to get a 2CV but Europcar don't seem to have them ;-) and no-one is admitting to having open top 4x4's.

So, it's going to be the Laguna and hopefully the Laguna II. Must say I'm a little nervous about the mountain roads as I'm not the best with heights but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Lee.
Re: Le Car Hire - David Millar
Just relax and enjoy. The mountains ain't that big in Corsica, it's just the roads that are a bit narrow (no more than in northern Scotland) and precipitous only in places. I see one local site in Bonifacio offering Vitara 4x4s with aircon so presumably not open top but at £300 a week I think it is too much to pose.

Have a good time.

David