What's your WORST MPG? - craig-pd130
I'm a diesel owner, and so tend to talk about the best mpg I get (Passat PD130).

As it's winter, short cold journeys etc, and for a change, what's the WORST mpg you've had over a tankful?

I've just had 38mpg from a tankful, which is only the second sub-40mpg tankful the Passat's given in 4 years (due to short commute, cold mornings, no journey over 15 miles).

It's still over 50% better than the 23mpg my Volvo T4 gave during winter one time ....
What's your WORST MPG? - glowplug
20MPG in a 1310cc mini.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
What's your WORST MPG? - Lud
Had a low-mileage Skoda 130 once whose original copper plug leads were past it. Once the engine got hot foot to the floor would produce jerky progress getting slower and slower. Until it got new plug leads that Skoda could easily do less than 15 mpg (normally on the road they do better than 40).

That particular car also had a porous carburettor casting that meant it couldn't run when properly adjusted, but that made very little difference to the fuel consumption. A tiny whisker of choke had been adjusted into it by a previous owner, sufficient to keep it idling with the throttle closed. Took me ages to realise the carb had to be chucked away and replaced with an older one that worked properly.
What's your WORST MPG? - stunorthants26
Jaguar XJ40 3.2 auto 1993 - 16 mpg in mixed driving altho nearly 30 on a cruise.
What's your WORST MPG? - Rattle
My firsta does 10 miles per £1.50 what ever that works out in MPG but thats city driving
What's your WORST MPG? - Westpig
current car (3.0 auto Jag S Type) does 15.5 mpg in rush hour constantly bad traffic

rather rashly bought a V12 auto Jag XJS when I was 21........that would do 9mpg when hammered (which at 21 you do don't you) and 13-15 on a run.....which is one of the reasons i got rid...urgent
What's your WORST MPG? - mark999
17mpg Saab99 auto in winter would improve to 22mpg in summer
What's your WORST MPG? - madf
11mpg

XJ6 towing a 1.5 tonne caravan at 60mph (honest.. officer .. never did 70mph).
madf
What's your WORST MPG? - local yokel
Used to get 6 mpg sometimes in the Fox CVR(W) that I drove for Aunty Betty!
What's your WORST MPG? - boxsterboy
A thoroughly enjoyable day on the track at Bedford Autodrome in my Boxster a couple of years ago saw my consumption drop to 12 mpg. Normal driving would see mid-late 20's.
What's your WORST MPG? - Westpig
the police in London in the 80's had auto long wheel base Sherpa minibuses, that were armoured, carried 10 Old Bill with all their riot kit & had 3.5 litre Rover V8 engines.........they could be 'encouraged' to do 4.5 mpg
What's your WORST MPG? - Lud
That beats my Bentley R Type, with automatic chokes, that did about 8mpg round town but could manage 17 on the road if you didn't go over 75...
What's your WORST MPG? - DP
Worst in the Mondeo is 38 mpg against an average of 47 mpg. Basically it involved a trip to Fairford airshow sat in a 6 mile queue in 33°C heat with the air-con running constantly, then getting stuck in a queue on the A419 going back, and making up time on the M4 at around 90-100 mph all the way back to avoid a kicking from SWMBO.

Worst overall was 11.6 mpg average (according to the computer) over 17 miles of my favourite minor A and B-roads in a Rouse Sport 304R Sapphire RS Cosworth. The fact that the 17 miles was completed in 14 minutes had something to do with it, but what a car that was!

Cheers
DP
What's your WORST MPG? - Stuartli
>>a 6 mile queue in 33°C heat with the air-con running constantly,>>

The simple answer was to turn the air conditioning off....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What's your WORST MPG? - mrmender
Triumph 2.5 PI Around town about 8 MPG Had the fuel pump recalibrated went up to 18 lasted about a year then it went out of calibration again and down to 8 again!
Forgot HMS Sabre - she did a gallon a minute at 45 knots ~ 52 mph, so a bit less than 1 mpg. She was 108 feet long with a crew of 10.
Ha! I forgot the Liverpool bay container ship i was on in the late 70's at 30Kts she would burn 470tons of fuel per day.............. Now this post is just getting silly!
> Ha! I forgot the Liverpool bay container ship i was on in the late 70's at 30Kts

A container ship doing 30 kts - I doubt it!
What's your WORST MPG? - rogue-trooper
21.6mpg in a diesel BMW 530dT

Not happy since injectors replaced, as seem to have lost a few mpg
What's your WORST MPG? - rogue-trooper
having said that once went from Anglesey to Liverpool and back in a V8 Land Rover and I worked out that we did about 11mpg. Great fun though and as about 15 years ago the bill was not as bad as all that. Think that it was 160 miles there and back and we used a tank and a half.
What's your WORST MPG? - Happy Blue!
Oh don't ask! I've seen as low as 14.7mpg according to the trip computer for a heavy dose of city centre driving and the last tank of purely suburban driving was no better than about 17mpg.
What's your WORST MPG? - kithmo
On the short commute to work, I have not had less than 40 mpg, in my current car, 2005 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130PS. In the past I had a 1988 Ford Granada 2.0 Ghia Efi Auto that regularly did 18 mpg and I once had a 1970 1300cc Renault 10 (manual), with Auto choke that also did 18 mpg. Both these vehicles were correctly tuned and in good condition (verifed by garage technicians)
What's your WORST MPG? - mss1tw
23mpg from my Africa Twin during the summer...what a great day that way. ;o)
What's your WORST MPG? - boxsterboy
Oh don't ask! I've seen as low as 14.7mpg according
to the trip computer for a heavy dose of city centre
driving and the last tank of purely suburban driving was no
better than about 17mpg.

Roll on those Subaru diesels?
What's your WORST MPG? - Vin {P}
WEW750X - my old 2.8 Auto Granada. 12mpg in a hot week with the (awesomely powerful) aircon on.

V
What's your WORST MPG? - markengland
8mpg in my 1981 Leyland Olympian double deck bus...
What's your WORST MPG? - Blue {P}
I feel so much better about the 24mpg that I tend to get out of my 323Ci, I used to think it was thirsy, having read these comments I now think that it must chuck rose petals out of the exhaust :-)

Blue
What's your WORST MPG? - Micky
WEW750X - my old 2.8 Auto Granada. 12mpg in a
hot week with the (awesomely powerful) aircon on.
V

12 mpg from a Mk2 Granny? That's quite an achievement. 16 mpg was the lowest I ever measured, although fuel computer could show miniscule figures.

Aircon = R12, nothing better, 0'C at the vents.
What's your WORST MPG? - Vin {P}
"12 mpg from a Mk2 Granny?"

Worth it, as it was the car that taught me that there are no substitutes for cubes. Never forgotten that. I still prefer the 30mpg I get out of the Jag.

Ref the cooler - I could get it so cold in summer that I had to turn the aircon off or I'd be shivering. Blissful.

V
> Ha! I forgot the Liverpool bay container ship i was
on in the late 70's at 30Kts
A container ship doing 30 kts - I doubt it!

Do your home work LK and i think i'm correct they were built with the fact that the Suez cannal was closed so had to speed around the cape their crusing speed was 28Kts but were able to do over 30Kts
They were 86,000 HP Steam ships
What's your WORST MPG? - craig-pd130
Speaking of bikes, I've had my Suzuki 380 2-stroke triple under 30mpg on a summer's day :-D
What's your WORST MPG? - SjB {P}
With my Bro at the wheel.
Briggs and Stratton v-twin Countax ride on mower.
John O'Groats to Land's End.
6.6MPH.
Not much more than 10 MPG, engine thrashing away against the governor for 18 days! :-)
The Disco 3.9 support truck was more economical.
What's your WORST MPG? - Martin Devon
Bedford CF2 petrol 13 MPG at motorway speeds.

MD
What's your WORST MPG? - SjB {P}
Speaking of bikes, I've had my Suzuki 380 2-stroke triple under
30mpg on a summer's day :-D

I can relate to that! My Hornet 600 normally returns high thirties to low forties MPG but in the company of an SP2 and Blackbird amogst others gave just 28MPG on the only dry part of a bike trip in the Highlands last autumn!
What's your WORST MPG? - oilrag
Auto Maestro 1.6 petrol, worsened to 23mpg on a run as the needle and jet wore,
In the end I couldnt reliably make it from yorkshire to bournmouth without refueling.

I swapped it for another Maestro, a 2.000cc Perkins prima ( non turbo)
On the same run it went there AND back on a tankful....
I was amazed by that at the time, enhanced perhaps by sitting in the same cabin.
What's your WORST MPG? - L'escargot
When my car is idling whilst stationary it does zero mpg!
--
L\'escargot.
What's your WORST MPG? - Collos25
My BMW does that but unfortunately it quickly reverts to an average of 23.7 when you move.
What's your WORST MPG? - BazzaBear {P}
If I remember rightly, the 80's Aston Martin Vantage I had for the weekend of my wedding averaged 14mpg.
I did 250 miles in it, and it cost just under £70 to re-fill, at 2003 petrol prices.
What's your WORST MPG? - L'escargot
When my car is in reverse the mpg figure has a minus sign in front of it! It uses fuel but ends up further back than when it started.
--
L\'escargot.
What's your WORST MPG? - Bagpuss
TVR Griffith - 9mpg around town. At a constant 70mph on a long run varied between 15 and 25mpg for no apparent reason.
BMW M3 - 14mpg at a constant (indicated) 230km/h with blasts up to 250km/h. 17mpg round town and up to 30mpg at a constant 130km/h with cruise control.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - 10mpg (converted from US) and never higher than 15.

I must have a very heavy right foot. I never get anything like the fuel consumption figures reported here for Mondeo TDCIs and the like when I drive them.
What's your WORST MPG? - Mchenry
I don't know exactly what my worst mpg was because the on-board fuel consumption display conldn't display it!
The vehicle was a Ford Excursion - a seriously large SUV hired in Canada: 8 full-size seats and a good-sized boot, 3100kg (I think) unladen and a 6.8l V10 to push all that around the countryside. In the interests of science, we tried to see how high we could get the consumption: with the transmission locked in 2nd accelerating up a hill the display showed --.- in other words over 99.9 litres per 100 km which is somewhere between 2 and 3 mpg.
What's your WORST MPG? - sierraman
Toyota HiAce motor caravan and SD1 3.5 V8.Both did 15 around town and 20 ish on a run,although a stiff head wind would have a dramatic affect on the Toyota,whereas a heavy right foot affected the Rover.
What's your WORST MPG? - track
16mpg in a 'slightly modified' 205 gti
What's your WORST MPG? - barney100
0 miles a gallon with a full tank...had to have the lot drained off as I stupidly put petrol in my diesel.
What's your WORST MPG? - Martin1981
About 37mpg in the 306TD, with lots of stop/start urban driving in cold weather and with the occasional heavy right foot when I get frustrated in traffic jams etc. Usually get around 43mpg combined and around 47/48 on sensible motorway driving.

Martin
What's your WORST MPG? - MichaelR
Get about 20mpg from the 530i around town.
What's your WORST MPG? - Ian D
Unmodified 1998 Subaru impreza turbo on a Goodwood track day, 10mpg
What's your WORST MPG? - frazerjp
About 37mpg in my Ford Fiesta 1.4 zetec 16v with mixed driving.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
What's your WORST MPG? - andymc {P}
38 mpg last week according to the trip - alerted me to a soft rear tyre (that plus the car felt odd). Normal service resumed following repair, now low 50s when driving within the law - which of course is always. Leon TDi 110.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
What's your WORST MPG? - DP
About 37mpg in my Ford Fiesta 1.4 zetec 16v with mixed
driving.

These are astonishingly frugal. I don't think I've ever managed to batter ours much below 40 mpg, even when caning it.

Cheers
DP
What's your WORST MPG? - daewoodave
worst mpg in a petrol was out in oz when i was driving a 4.0 lt ford fairlane auto and air con with cruise control it did 11litres per 100 kms in sport mode and trying to unstick back end did 50 lts per 100kms.in a diesel i have seen 22 mpg on focus tdci.don't ask wot speed on m/way but merc 220 in front had to move over!!!
What's your WORST MPG? - kingfisher
Years ago Ford Pilot 8 mpg and burnt a pint of oil for every 2 gallons of petrol..
What's your WORST MPG? - barchettaman
24 MPG, Astra 1.8i estate, roof box - this was a high speed run from Dusseldorf Airport - Calais ferryport in 3 hours (had to catch the last ferry). I wasn´t hanging about.
What's your WORST MPG? - perleman
I got 8.4mpg over 3-4 few miles in the Golf after I had it chipped, down a long downhill section of the M5 at 3am doing an indicated 143mph