Laguna Mk1 dci turbo - Tartan Barty
Hi there

I have an X reg laguna mk1 dci 1.9 and today on the way home the turbo started whistling. By the time I got into the nearest town and pulled off from the traffic lights all hell broke loose, smoke pouring out the back, engine accelerating without the peddle pressed. I managed to get off the main road and even with the ignition key out the car was running on the oil. I managed to stop and was recovered by the AA to my local garage. There is very little oil left in the car.

Is it likely that there is engine damage and if I get a replacement turbo will this solve the problem. I keep reading about an ERV or similar. What is this and how does it relate to the turbo.

Thanks
Laguna Mk1 dci turbo - sine
Assuming the engine didn't rev beyond its normal limit - 5000rpm? and it was stopped by you rather than siezing and the turbo didn't disintegrate, it is possible that no damage will have occured.

ERV = EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). It can get stuck closed resulting in the turbo getting too hot under acceleration causing it to fail. At the very least this valve shoulc be checked and maybe cleaned or replaced before driving it again.
Laguna Mk1 dci turbo - Xileno {P}
It will need a new turbo, intercooler, EGR valve and associated oil feed pipework to the turbo. If you are very lucky the engine may be OK but I wouldn't bet on it. It is vital that the turbo is a Garrett certified recon unit otherwise you will be doing it all over again.