Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - LinuxGeek
Which one would you buy from these two if you had to get one of these with a budget of less than £2k? I've seen couple of good Golf TDis 97/98 models with a mileage of around 100k.
My main priorities are, it has to be cheap to run, reliable and fairly comfortable for motorways because I'll be doing around 80 miles in a day.
What shall I look out for when inspecting a Golf TDI?
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - andymc {P}
A Seat Toledo.
Sorry, not meant to be facetious, and I know people come on here so often asking for opinions about Car X only to get recommendations for Car Y. It's just that of all the cars built on the Golf platform, it seems to be the best value for money. They simply depreciate more than the Golfs, Leons, Octavias and A3s. The Golf and Audi A3 are the more costly (at first purchase) versions of cars built on this platform, so depreciation starts from a higher point. I think used demand for the Skoda Octavia tends to be strong because of consistently high satisfaction survey results and the perception that it is a good, basic, robust car with "hidden" Golf quality - this keeps prices firmer than average, certainly in comparison to the likes of the Toledo.

When driving them back to back, you may notice better "perceived quality" in a Toledo than in an Octavia - my Leon's doors (identical to the Toledo) close with a thunk, the doors of a 1999 Octavia I drove closed with a clang. Nothing that a little bit of extra soundproofing wouldn't solve, but you still hear it. The dash in the Toledo/Leon is more akin to that of the Audi A3, at least in the upper half - softer touch materials as opposed to the Octavia's hard plastic. Again this isn't a big thing in reality but these combine to make the Toledo a more pleasant place to be than the Octavia of the same generation. From the Seat stable, the Leon is the hatch version and seems to be more popular, which I think must be why prices for those tend to be a little firmer. Yet the Toledo is generally better equipped than the Octavia or Leon (cruise control, armrests etc as standard where these were cost options on the Leon of the same era) and sometimes better than the Golf.

The drawbacks of the Toledo are that it is saloon only, and I think (but could be wrong) that it tended to have softer suspension than the Leon, so is a less rewarding drive - certainly the Peugeot would appear to have the edge in that regard. Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to advise about the Peugeot - both the VAG and PSA cars have their own pros and cons. If I was the one choosing between these, it would probably be a VAG car, as the ergonomics suit me better and I think that Peugeots tend to have even more electrical problems than VWs.
Hope that hasn't just made things more confusing for you!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - thomp1983
id say go with the 306. at 2k you should get a decent example of the phase 2 model probably with aircon and the odd extras they came with. they are alot better to drive than a golf of similer age, the 1.9td engine is pretty bullet proof aslong as they are looked after and an eye kept on the cooling system(radiators fail every couple of years and heater matrixes can fail both will lead to headgasket failure if left). another thing to keep any eye out for is to avoid buying a dhy engined model as some of them threw conrods, having said that most will have on so by now if there going to. there relatively cheap to service, fun to drive and personally i think tey still look quite good against modern cars

chris
Thanks for your priceless advice so far. I'm keeping an eye on for few more messages with regards to Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TDi.
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - DP
Another vote for the Pug which is still one of my favourite mid-sized hatchbacks of all. Handling, ride and steering are beyond reasonable criticism, and the PSA diesels are smooth and refined. The 306 shape has also aged very gracefully in my opinion.

Go for one of the run-out Meridian models which were very nicely specced. Either that or a nice D-Turbo which is effectively a diesel version of the XSi warm hatch and is a joy to drive hard.

Interior trim and fittings are a little flimsy on the 306, but the mechanicals are tough and reliable given regular servicing.

Just don't go within a mile of a Peugeot dealer for maintenance and servicing.

Cheers
DP
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - islandman
My daughter has a Golf & my son has a 306 --- both 1.4 petrol. In terms of driveability the 306 wins hands down. It has a surperb chassis and the engine flies along -- compared to the golf. Much more equipment as well. The Golf is better built though and will no doubt last longer. In addition the Golf almost certainly has a stronger bodyshell so should be safer.
You pays your money & takes your choice ------- but if you want the best driving machine get the 306, believe me it's good -- and thats coming from a BMW driver!
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - mss1tw
I sold my 306 HDi and bought a Toledo 1.9TDI...
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - Martin1981
Both are great cars, the Golf TDi is probably slightly quicker than the 306TD and a bit better on fuel, but the 306 definitely wins in terms of refinement, ride and handling as well as being cheaper for parts, servicing and insurance. The 306TD with the old XUD engine is easy for carrying out basic servicing of items such as oil and filters and as long as they are serviced regularly they are good for 200k plus. Again, keep an eye on the condition of the radiator as these are weak points on the 306 and also change the coolant every couple of years to rule out head gasket problems.

Martin
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - Avant
If your budget is less than £2k I'd suggest you make condition your priority and go for whichever example of either car you can find with the most life left in it. Be prepared to factor in a cambelt change unless there's evidence that it's been done recently.

Good luck!
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - Shaz {p}
I bought a 306 hdi merdian on w plate, 2000 103k, with full history for my sister - for £2100. They tend to be upto £2600 / £2700, but if you can stretch your budget a bit you should be able to find one for similar money.

Really nice drive, better on fuel then the older xud (although more complicated), but still very reliable.
I'm planning to stretch my budget and buy a Toledo or Bora! I think Golfs are stupidly highly priced and after my past experiences with Peugeot(s) I'm not willing to buy another one. Thanks for all your comments guys.
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - Gromit {P}
For anyone considering a 306, bear in mind that the Citroen Xsara is built on the same platform. It doesn't have hydropenumatic suspension, but its not as popular as the Peugeot - much the same situation as the Toledo vs. Golf!
Golf TDi or Peugeot 306 TD - Martin1981
The Xsara is not as popular as the 306, nor is the Toledo as popular as the Golf, as the 306 and the Golf win because of their good looks. It's a case of same car, different clothes-don't judge a book by it's cover as they say!

Martin