Looking for a Harley - TheGrocer
OK I know its not a 4 wheel question but here goes:
After many years battling with the lovely wife I finally have the chance to spend around 8K on a used Harley. Is there an Honest John equavalent in the Harley or 2 wheel world. I need some advice on buying used Harleys as its my first (15 years driving a 750 Honda though so Im not completely green). Any one point me in the right diection for some non biased advice?
--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Looking for a Harley - Chris M
The local Harley club?
Looking for a Harley - cheddar
There are a lot of different Harleys, do you want a Sportser or an Electraglide or perhaps a newer (in design terms) VRSC like a Night Rod which IMO is the only Harley with reasonable dynamics.
Looking for a Harley - Pete M
Oh dear. If you've spent 15 years on a Honda 750, then it might be a good idea to have a good test ride on a Harley Davidson before committing yourself to anything. The traditional H-D is a triumph of form over function, of style over substance. They are the blue LEDs of the motorcycling world. I think the arrival of the original Honda 750 in 1969 was the death-knell for H-D as a serious motorcycle manufacturer. What H-D have done since is to concentrate on marketing over manufacturing.
Having said that, notable exceptions to this are the V-Rod, and the Buell machines.

If you want a fast tourer, all of the Japanese manufacturers, and BMW produce credible machines that have handling, performance and reliability. Leave the H-Ds to the born-again and never-born bikers.

Looking for a Harley - Pugugly {P}
8k'd get you a very recent 1200GS.
Perhaps two bikes?

£4k on a five year old Harley and £4k on something of a similar age that is reliable, fast, goes round corners, economical, comfortable and in it's own way just as charaterful.
Looking for a Harley - mss1tw
A Hardly Movingson? Why oh why... :o(
Looking for a Harley - SteVee
take a look at www.bikeshare.co.uk - especially if your annual mileage will be low.
HDs tend to retain their value very well, which can make a second hand harley seem expensive.
Most HD dealers i've seen have been extremely helpful, so my first check would be my local HD dealer.

Second I'd look for a local HD club - they're a breed apart from other bikes.
Looking for a Harley - jc2
Not quite a Hog but our local m/c shop is offering a BEAUTIFUL 1400 Yamaha with all the chrome and all the lights for £5350.
Looking for a Harley - J Bonington Jagworth
Where's Growler when you need him? Do hope he's OK...
Looking for a Harley - PatrickO
www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bikes/detail.php?ref=intruderm...7

Nice.
Looking for a Harley - dsc
Save yourself 10k and buy a Triumph Thunderbird Sport.
Looking for a Harley - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Get yourself to one of the big bike venues- like Matlock Bath on a Sunday.
Loads of Harleys there and I'm sure the owners will chat to you.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

Not for me though....

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Looking for a Harley - Lud
There's a nice rough old sidevalve V-twin Indian parked at the top end of Portobello Road most days. It's outside a junk shop but I don't think it's for sale...
Nice.

Much nicer!

www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/mt-world/

Actually the Intruder is supposed to be a reasonable addition to the cruiser genre though though the Suzuki brand just does not have the quality credentials or sheer integrity of Yamaha or Honda, or Harley D for that matter.
Looking for a Harley - Micky
If you want a Harley then buy a Harley. The copies are laughable. Well, Harleys are laughable as well but at least other Harley riders won't laugh at you (not to your face anyyway)

With 8k to squander, i prescribe a nice Norton 750 Commando with the Combat engine, an unrestored Ducati 900SS from the late 1970s (with high level pipes) and a grossly overtuned 350LC. The combined reliability of this small but perfectly collection should ensure that you remain nice and safe in your motor car.
No, no.

Relive the summer of '76.

900SS, Le Mans Mk1, Jota and ..... and ..... Benelli Sei? Z1 was earlier. And has there ever been a better name for a 'bike than Z1? Z1000 was slower and fatter.

Summer of '76 ..... FS1E!! Perhaps. MV Augusta? Errr, I think the budget has been blown. No BMWs though, far too tedious.
Summer of '76 ..... FS1E!!

That was summer of 78 for me, a 75 P reg, KYH959P how's that for memory!
Looking for a Harley - pafosman
'KYH' - thats Somerset isn't it ? How's that for sad anorak? There must be a door to this place somewhere.

Papho
'KYH' - thats Somerset isn't it ? How's that for
sad anorak? There must be a door to this place
somewhere.

Strange that, I was living in Surrey at the time and bought the Fizzie in Sutton.
And has there ever been a better name
for a 'bike than Z1?

R1, maybe?
Looking for a Harley - doug_523i
Look for a low mileage StreetBob, it's the entry level big twin with absolutely no extras, so any additions to the bike will not leave you with a garage full of removed parts you've already paid for. Buy the Harley and wet yourself laughing at the lack of depreciation. I've never owned a Harley in my life, but I see the attraction, what I can't see the point of is spending the same or more on a Japanese Harley copy, buy the real thing.

Having said that, at the NEC the bike that caught my eye was the Victory eight ball. It's like a Harley that's had money spent finishing it off properly, and it's still a Yank bike.
I've never owned a
Harley in my life, but I see the attraction, what I
can't see the point of is spending the same or more
on a Japanese Harley copy, buy the real thing.

>>

My thought process would be:

1/ Great idea, buy a Harley !
2/ Mmmmmnn, thinks, no buy a Japanese cruiser that starts in the morning and bits dont fall off
3/ Mmmmmmnnnnn, thinks more, no, no, buy a German / Japanese roadster / tourer / sports bike that starts in the morning and bits dont fall off and it goes round corners and is fun to ride.

All missing the point, he's after a Harley.
Looking for a Harley - Waino
Harleys are reckoned to be a triumph of form over function ..... but if you are considering the triumph of art over form over function, have a look at some of the custom Harleys on Krazyhorse's (Bury St Edmunds) website. I'd quite like one in my living room.
Thanks to you all for your comments...I actually had an FS1E what fun I had working on the Ghost Train at Dreamland in Margate aged 17...Learnt all about life there thats for sure..

Anyway. Im off to the Foundry tomorrow in Canterbury for my first test drive on a Fat Boy! (no its not some strange school boy initiation cermony) Will let you all know how I get on.

Last question ..How do I break it to an anti bike "youll be killed on a motorbike" wife..Any ideas???

--
"> Last question ..How do I break it to an anti bike "youll be killed on a motorbike" wife..Any ideas??? <"

Don't tell her. Keep it in your lock-up.
">R1, maybe?<"

I'll raise you a Mach 111. Or Mach 1V
>>Last question ..How do I break it to an anti bike "youll be killed on a motorbike" wife..Any ideas???<<

Don't get killed or injured would be the best way :-)
Buy good quality safety gear - including good boots, gloves and possibly a back protector.
Don't trade safety for fashion.

Have fun with the fat boy and come back and tell us
Wnet oh a test ride yesterday on fat boy and a Road King. Fell in love with the Road King. Came home and tried to pick the best momment to tel the wife. She went mad told me I would kill myself and now the tension in the house is painfull. Bubble well and truly burst....Not given up yet

Come on Backroomers I need some advice on how to convince an anti bike wife that it isnt an automatic death sentence when you buy a Harley.

Will keep you informed as things progress but it aint looking hopefull (walks away from keyboard feeling deflated...)
--
Looking for a Harley - Tim Allcott
A long time ago, I did the RAC/ACU course, and was taught by a class 1 police driver. I don't know whether such things are still in existence, but know training has changed. After we moved to Birmingham, my wife did the same course. Wait until the weather's better. You never know, you might get a convert....
Tim{P}
>>Come on Backroomers I need some advice on how to convince an anti bike wife that it isnt an automatic death sentence when you buy a Harley.<<

She has a point - motorcycles are dangerous. I was convinced by such a point when I had dependent children, but have now returned to motorcycles, along with some advanced training. If she has known someone killed on a motorcycle then that is very difficult to argue against

Enter 'MAIDS ptw accident report' in a search engine. This extensive report shows that the 'cruiser' style of motorcycle is one of the safest ptw (powered two wheeler). Is the Harley Road King any more dangerous than riding a horse, or playing rugby ? I would suggest not. There's been plenty of discussion on this report so I'm sure you can find some evidence to support your case.
A mature rider, in good safety gear, on a big harley is very likely to survive.

A Life Assurance company will not load you for riding a motorcycle - so it's a long long way from an automatic death sentence. Compare that with private flying.

Did you take the Road King home?- it's a big machine to handle on some driveways, especially gravel !
Thanks for the usefull feedback SteVee, I will check out the web site mentioned.

Youre right its diffucult to convince her that a bike is anything but a depth trap. She lost her first boyfriend at 16 (he was 17) in a bike accident (she wasnt on the bike)

I know she is just worried about me but at 46, fully experienced & trained on the 8 week motorcycle training course (when I was 18 and with 15 years accident free motoring on a bike I think she is over reacting.

The Road King was fantastic and left me feeling so exhilarated but having been brought back down to earth with such a huge thump! Not sure what to do next really.

--
Looking for a Harley - andymc {P}
If you can afford it and you've earned the money to spend on it, just do it. Life's too short for wishing. She'll get used to the idea eventually.

You know, people often tell me I should write an advice column ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Grocer, I suspect you are employing the old "I'm going to get a bike". "No, you're not, it's far dangerous" "Ok, I'll buy a 7" "Errr, I suppose that's OK then."

I recommend a R1OT.
">R1, maybe?<"

and I'll raise you .....a Shuttleworth Snap, most famous of all the TT racing machines
Looking for a Harley - alfatrike
good bit of information, 95% of harleys are still on the road, the other 5% made it home! atleast victory are proud of their agricultural history making quads for many years. you will be hard pressed to find a better bike than a honda.
Looking for a Harley - Fullchat
>>Come on Backroomers I need some advice on how to convince an anti bike wife that it isnt an automatic death sentence when you buy a Harley.<<

During my not unextensive time as a traffic cop never went to a bump involving a Harley

Hows that for starters??

Same situation mysely a couple of years ago. Afraid I stooped to the lowest level as taught by the kids 'The nag factor'! She relented in the end. But to be fair she, quite rightly, only saw the danger side.

Started on a Yam 600 Fazer and last summer changed it for the Triumph ST1050 Sprint. Am a bit of a pussy on it but its my toy and I cant hear the kids arguing when I'm out on it.
--
Fullchat
Looking for a Harley - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
As I said before,get yourself to one of the big bike venues- like Matlock Bath on a Sunday.
Loads of Harleys there and I'm sure the owners will chat to you.
Many are man/wife couples in matching leathers. Emphasise the fashion aspect and she may catch on.

--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.