Swinging door - Lud
Following my cousin from the crematorium to the wake through the far north-western fringes of the great Wen this afternoon - it was snowing a bit too - we came up behind a box-bodied seven tonner (I think) whose offside rear door was open and swinging wide following acceleration on left-hand bends. It was low enough, and certainly heavy enough, to damage the windscreen of a car coming the other way, and several such vehicles flinched visibly...

At the second attempt, at a traffic light, my good cousin managed to leap out and attract the driver's attention. He came back, looking aghast, and secured the door. Seemed touchingly grateful but at a traffic light, in traffic, there's no time to waste...
Swinging door - Pugugly {P}
"and several such vehicles flinched visibly.."

Nicely put Lud..
Swinging door - Dwight Van Driver
Parts or accessories in such condition as likely to cause danger PU?

Fine: £5000 3 points.

dvd
Swinging door - tr7v8
Big flat bed a few years ago had a digger on the back with an insecure bucket which I think killed & injured aside from the damage. I believe he ended up eating HMP porridge for a while.
Swinging door - GroovyMucker
Decapitated, I think. Swung out on a corner and took off the top part of an approaching car.

The scary thing was, it was dark and one of those things which the oncoming driver could do nothing about.
Swinging door - Armitage Shanks {p}
I recall the digger incident as cutting an arm off a motorcyclist; whatever ,it was a ghastly thing to happen and no avoiding action could be taken.
Swinging door - artful dodger {P}
Years ago I remember stopping a beer lorry (not for a drink!) but his sack trolley on his nearside was protuding to the side by about 3 feet. If he had over taken a car closely or driven close to a pavement he would have caused an accident. Strange thing was when I pulled alongside on a dual carriageway the driver was drinking from a milk bottle. Enough said.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Swinging door - Simon
I've known it to happen to a lorry trailer door that came loose whilst it was being towed (and it wasn't me either). But it subsequently wrote off a Rover coming the other way. The best part about it was that the driver of said lorry didn't even know that it had happened.
Swinging door - jc2
Also seen canvas that should have been covering the load dragging behind;a colleague of ours was killed one night(lost his head) and they think that was done probanly by a badly secured digger or crane but it did not stop so no-one knows.
Swinging door - deepwith
A lorry with an unsecured 'arm' killed a fourteen year old pedestrian near Southampton a couple of years ago - again, I believe the driver was jailed.
Swinging door - AlastairW
When I lived in Liverpool I was almost taken out by the swinging nearside engine cover of a Leyland Atlantean bus. Thankfully the bustop was 'guarded' by a lamppost which took the brunt of the impact. Thankfully the old bone shakers where mostly retired shortly afterwards (mid 90s, I think)