buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - swifty
Hi,

Have found a great deal with www.buyacar.co.uk for a new Corsa which no one can get any where near.

Have ordered it and had confirmation but notice they don't release the V5 document for 28 days as quoted below.

is this OK do you think since I'll have a receipt?
has anyone any experience of this company?

Cheers,

Steve.

"Also, under the discount terms through which we will purchase your new car, the V5 Registration Certificate will be retained for a period of 26 weeks. The reason for this is simply that the manufacturer does not want these heavily discounted cars being sold to businesses that will look to resell them immediately and thus undermine their dealer network. Retaining the log book for 26 weeks is their way of ensuring that the cars are only sold to end users. In the mean time you will have the bill of sale from Buyacar which is your proof of purchase and your V5 will be automatically forwarded on to you. I would like to stress that this purely an administrative process and will not affect your enjoyment of your new car in any way. "

buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - rtj70
The wording you provide says they keep the V5 for 26 WEEKS, i.e. 6 months. I think there is another posting somewhere on HJ about this.

The reasoning for them doing this makes sense but what if you needed the V5?
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - Gromit {P}
Your insurer may not be too happy, most policies expect the proposer (or their spouse/partner) to be the registered keeper of the vehicle under cover. Suggest you check this with your insurer before you buy.

Afraid I can't answer any of your other questions, though, as I've never heard of the company, or a seller retaining the registration documents after sale.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - paulb {P}
Sounds rather as if you won't be the first registered keeper either, which will have implications for trade-in value in years to come.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - Bill Payer
I'm baffled by how someone can read 26 weeks but see it as 28 days!
Was reading a clause about right to cancel order if car not delivered within 28 days of agreed date at the same time as looking at part about keeping V5 for 26 weeks!!!

Seems a little odd to me that's all and as you mention, will insurance company question it?

What if later some person comes knocking on my door claiming ownership of the car with V5 in hand!!

Also what about things like DVLA notification of my address in case I get done for speeding or stopped by police and asked to produce docs?

I'm hoping that someone might have bought from this seemingly large company and can reassure me!

Thanks,

Steve.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - local yokel
>Also what about things like DVLA notification of my address in case I get done for speeding or stopped by police and asked to produce docs?

Drive even more carefully then!
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - Quinny100
They are obviously supplying cars bought in on hire fleet terms, which will be way below the list price. The manufacturers will demand that these are not sold immediately to protect the interests of their retail dealers

It's not really a problem if you are the registered keeper. I can't really think of anything you would need to produce a V5 for as the car will be taxed - V5 isn't proof of ownership and millions of company car drivers never see the V5's for their cars as the lease company retains them.

If the car is registered to a spurious fleet first, as some companies do, you will need to discuss this with your insurers, as many standard policies state you must be the registered keeper to get insurance.

Also be aware that most companies offer a new for old replacement if the car is written off in the first 12 months - this will only apply if you are the first registered keeper of the vehicle.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - tack
It was I that posted a similar query back in 2005/6?

I got my car thro' uk-car-discount and they told me porkies as to where my log book was. Eventually, after about 4 months of calls they told me the truth, i.e. that the manufactureres like them to hold on to it so we can't sell car immediately. To say I had the hump would do a camel a disservice. This was never mentioned anywhere in their sales literature or contract.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - tack
..............PS, when I got the log book, I was the one and only reg' keeper from day 1.
buyacar ltd keep V5 for 28 days..???? - Quinny100
So why get the hump then? In the grand scheme of things, physical possesion of the V5 is not important as long as the details are correct.

If you want to be crafty, and the car is registered to you at your address, contact the DVLA and tell them you've lost the V5 - they'll send you another one on payment of a fee (£19 IIRC).

If you want cheap cars by the back door, you have to accept that things like this go on. Don't like it - plenty of retail dealers selling cars at list price :)
Quinny i think you've probably hit the nail on the head here...

Reading through the lines on the sales form they've sent me they're basically stopping me selling the car on for 6 months due to some agreement with the manufacturers.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with this as long as I'm listed as the legal owner somewhere.
They do say I will be the 2nd owner on the V5 but not when. Do garages get sent V5's rather than direct to my address or will they have to hold off putting my name on it to stop me getting a copy?

i presume my receipt will pretty much suffice for this since although I'm a little confused that earlier it was mentioned that a V5 was not evidence of legal ownership, so I'm not sure what is really and how I'll show up as such without this document?

As you say if I didn't want to save money then I'd go to the main dealer which in this case were still £1600 more expensive even after giving me 8% discount. They tried to convince me to stick with them by saying i might not get first choice of courtesy car should I ever need one compared to one of their customers!! How lame is that?

At the end of day I'm out to make a saving and £1600 is a big saving against future depreciation etc....