Getting an MOT done early. - loveylaura
hi i have a renault clio whose exhaust is making a lot of noise so i have booked it in for an early MOT on thursday. i have just realised that i am getting it done on the 8th February and it doesnt run out until 8th March. does this count as a month or is it one day over a month?

i wanted to get the exhaust fixed but didnt want to pay out for it if the car wasnt worth the MOT but am now extremely confused about the dates of MOT's and dont want to lose a month on MOT for the sake of one day!!
MOT - adverse camber
they can redate by a month - it doesnt have to be within a month of expiry.

be aware that if it fails I think you will then flag up on the computers that you have no mot. and technically I understand that you havent as the failure superceeds the year old pass.
(btw dont anyone shout at me about that - a vosa inspector told me.)
MOT - L'escargot
i am
getting it done on the 8th February and it doesnt run
out until 8th March.

"If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate for example if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2003, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2003, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2004.

To have this extension, the vehicle owner should present their old certificate to the test station to verify that the extra time is applicable."

See tinyurl.com/26kwvd

--
L\'escargot.
MOT - L'escargot
"If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month
prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test
certificate will run from the date of the test to one
year after the expiry date of the current certificate for example
if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April
2003, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March
2003, the certificate would run from the test date until 1
April 2004.

I think the test would have to be no earlier than 9th February for this to apply.
--
L\'escargot.
MOT - mfarrow
Yes you will have to cancel MoT and move the date forward to get your additional month; and just in case someone asks, no they don't take into account February only having 28 days not 30+ :-P

--------------
Mike Farrow
MOT - Simon
>>be aware that if it fails I think you will then flag up on the computers that you have no mot.

No it doesn't, your old MOT certificate is still valid right up until the day on which it expires. So if you take your car for an MOT and get a pass, then take it again a week later and get a fail, you will still have a valid MOT certificate for the following 51 weeks of the year until your original certificate expires.

On the other hand when your car fails its MOT it means that it is not up to the current acceptable standard, and whilst you old certificate is still in date you will not get done for driving without an MOT. But you may be guilty of driving an unroadworthy vehicle, although most minor MOT failings are not inherently dangerous to continue driving with. If the vehicle is in a seriously dangerous state, then the MOT tester should advise you of this on your failure sheet.
MOT - adverse camber
VOSA say otherwise.

MOT - martint123
It's been covered so many times before.

If you posses a MOT pass certificate that hasn't expired then that covers the requirement of having an MOT.

Where does VOSA say different? link please.
MOT - Tim Allcott
This from www.motester.co.uk/ (an interesting site)
whilst realising it's a commercial magazine and not VOSA, I wouldn't have thought they would have printed incorrect advice?

MOT CERTIFICATE VALID UNTIL FAILURE DATE
A friend of mine maintains that if you have a car MOT Tested before the expiry date she will have 2 weeks in which to repair / drive it before it is illegal. I am under the understanding that once the MOT has expired you are not permitted to drive at all unless going to and from a place of repair (MOT Garage or otherwise). Please can you clairfy the correct and legal thing to do. Many Thanks, Dan Clark
Your MOT is valid until its expiry date even if in the meantime your
car fails the MOT - the original pass is still valid. In fact you can have the Test done up to a calendar month before the expiry date and have the new MOT forward-dated to the expiry date of the existing certificate. So if you have your car Tested during that month and it fails, this gives you time to have the repairs carried out and the car re-tested before the expiry of the original certificate and you are not disadvantaged as a result. - MOTT.
Tim{P}
Getting an MOT done early. - a900ss
On a slightly different note, my car will be due it's first MOT on 30th March 2007 as that's when it's 3 years old. Can I get the MOT done on 1st March for example and will the MOT will run out on 30th March 2008 OR (as it's the first MOT conducted) will it end on 1st March 2008?

Thanks
Getting an MOT done early. - Dynamic Dave
a900ss,

Yes, but you will need to take your registration document as proof of when the vehicle was first registered.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/D...2