BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - perleman
I was looking at the Stig's lap times (Google search) and find the resulting table quite... startling. The BMW 535d beat lots of very quick motors, including (but not limited to): BMW M3 / Nisan 350Z / Merc SL 55 AMG. More alarmingly, it was within less than 2 seconds of beating the Honda NSX, 911 turbo, Audi S4, Imprezza STI.

Is this a compelling arguement for the torque vs. BHP diesel brigade or am I missing something here - I know that the Beemer is a good car but you'd think round a track that some of these cars (like the 911) should be all over it?
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Lud
Two seconds is quite a lot faster round a short circuit...
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Group B
Is this a compelling arguement for the torque vs. BHP diesel
brigade or am I missing something here

Did you see the lap times on the TG website? www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

One problem on there is that it does not specify which times were set in the wet. I think someone said a wet track could add 4 seconds to a lap on that track.
Having said that, with 272bhp and 413lbft it should be quick, if the chassis and brakes are up to the job, regardless of what fuel it burns..

I have read elsewhere that a German magazine tested a 535d back to back with a 545i, and the 535d won by 0.3 secs round Hockenheim, despite having 60bhp less than the 545i.

;o)
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Bill Payer
I have read elsewhere that a German magazine tested a 535d
back to back with a 545i, and the 535d won by
0.3 secs round Hockenheim, despite having 60bhp less than the 545i.

Considering it takes several minutes to get around, I'd say that was a dead heat!
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - cheddar
Considering it takes several minutes to get around, I'd say that
was a dead heat!

>>

Are you are thinking Nurburgring rather than Hockenhiem?
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Chad.R

Hockenhiem would still be a couple of minutes in a "normal" car - F1 cars do it in around 1:25 seconds.
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Bill Payer

Oops - I am. Sorry. Where's the head in paper bag smiley when you need it?
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Group B
My post earlier was badly worded. AFAIK the BMW's were tested on the Hockenheim short course and the 535d set a fastest lap time of 1m20.2s, against a time of 1m20.5s for the 545i.
For F1 they use the longer GP course and the lap record is 1m13.78s set by Raikkonen.
BMW 535d Vs... the world (Stig lap times - Pugugly {P}
Real world overtakes in the 535d is as quick as anything as I've ever driven, never driven the 545 but it doesn't surprise me that it is as quick. It is a phenomenally good all round performance car, but looks like "nothing" in most circumstances. It is a pussy cat in town driving and is mated to the a superb auto box. Stig is one thing me driving this to work is another it is an incredible car by any standard. If you get the chance drive one and I defy you to find anything negative in it's response or performance against a petrol car. (maybe the 335 is the exception - haven't driven one yet though). Sorry to harp on but this car can be driven in flat cap or racing helmet mode.