Diesel engine life - Edinburgh andy

Hi All,

A few quieries on diesels i would be interested to know your thought on

1/ I know i may be opening a can of worms here but id be interested to know peoples opinions on a fairlt typical / reasonable life of a modern diesel engine. ??

I have heard of more conventional diesels - pre common rails- doing 3-400k ( peug, citroen and renault laguna) but id be interested to what sort of milage a new style - eg common rail- diesel engine would last for before major engine trouble

2/ Do likes of fuel pump, turbo, injector, head gasket failure usually happen on a diesel engine before main engine wear?

3/ Has the vast increase in power output on modern diesels had a detrimaental effect on diesel engine life??(

3/I have heard that the pressure in common rails engines is around 18000 psi how does that compare with the pressure in a conventional diesel engine.??

Regards

Andy

Diesel engine life - rm006c4615
well i had a peug it did 320,000 then blew up now i have a mazda 6 common rail its done 118,000 trouble free
but who knows about the next 200,000 we have had problems with mondeos with injectors and dual mass fly wheels breaking up all expensive jobs and the mazda needs a clutch and that is 750 pounds plus another 815 pounds for the dual mass fly wheel if needed so even if it lasts 300,000 its hardley trouble free because the routine maintenance kills it so beware.. we are taxi drivers and stumped for a car that lasts the distance, and that you can repair it seems like 100,000 then throw it these days.
Diesel engine life - mrbeginner
we have a citroen piccasso hdi on as a taxi ntson 248000 without any problems with the engine
Diesel engine life - piston power
i used to work on forklift trucks and the engine was the nissan td27 as you find in the terrano,etc these engines would do 300,000mls before any interal overhaul's were needed, you might have to change the water pump,thermostat, etc but pump,injectors all good for the mileage!
The best way to get the mileage is servicing ie: oil & filter regular this does save the engine it is the blood!!
Diesel engine life - madf
Do a search on Autotrader for diesels with over 100k miles and see how many.. Yaris , Citroen and Mercs all run over 100k - often far above - with no problems.. Xantias - especially HDI often seen with well over 150k...
(an answer to some Citroen and CR rail knockers:-)
madf
Diesel engine life - Altea Ego
Internal diesel life is of no consequence these days. A car will be written off by some other expensive ancilory failure (ABS, DMF, Computer, Gearbox, Fueling System) before you ever get the chance to worry about engine wear,.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Diesel engine life - DP
I agree with TVM. a £2k injector pump failure on an otherwise healthy 7 year old Mondeo (or insert any other mass market car here) will write it off, even though the mechanical bits might be good for another 100k.

I think the question of engine life itself is interesting. 15 years ago, diesels were bought by economy minded motorists and usually driven gently. Modern diesels are now often marketed as enthusiasts cars, meaning not only are they more powerful than ever, but are driven more enthusiastically. I wonder if over time we will see a downward trend in terms of engine life. The diesel engine has not only been transformed in terms of technology, power and refinement, but also in terms of the way it's used and the people who buy it.

I have no evidence or experience to back this up, it's just a personal thought.

Cheers
DP
Diesel engine life - cheddar
I agree with TVM. a £2k injector pump failure >>

Perhaps £1k.

TVM's point applies to all modern cars not just CR diesels, bear in mind as well the cost of routine jobs on the likes of my old 24v 4 cam V6 Vectra, 60k mile cambelt job IRO £600, £1200 in 120k miles where as my chain cam TDCi has done 113k with no major service costs and has saved £4-£5k in fuel alone.
Diesel engine life - CHASBEE52

Just check the mileage using one of the vehicle check sites. If the mileage is low check pedal rubbers for wear or recent replacement and steering wheel for excessive shine at the top,

The first services are all done before the first MOT and its during this 3 year period that a vehicle is most likely get clocked. Also bear in mind that a lot of vehicles have spent the first 11000 miles as hire cars, this may show on the Logbook as fleet sales or something similar. Rental cars get a lot of abuse, The wheels will be replaced aloNg with mats and ashtrays .So as usual its buyer beware,this applies to petrol and diesel vehicles.

Diesel engine life - Peter.N.

I have been running Citroen/Peugeot diesels for the last 30 years and my experience with them is that they seem to last forever, I had a couple of XMs that did 300k and Peugeot 2.0. 8 valve engines in 406's that just dont wear out, I had to scrap one at 246k but that was because of an immobilser fault due to dampness and this still had the original DMF and clutch..

These engines were only made until 04 so I don't have any experience of newer one. the 1.6 does seem to have problems mainly down to the ridiculously long oil change intervals but the 2.0. 16v seem to be OK.

I certainly believe that on the whole PSA make the best diesels.