What car for 10-12k? - Dirk
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is an oft aired subject here, but I need a new car, have a budget of 10-12k, and have no idea what to get

My requirements would be;

- fuel consumption not an issue, don't drive far, had a V6 2.5 auto last time, so something similar would be great
- favourite car I've owned would be my 2001 Audi S3, they do fall into the budget this time round, so a consideration
- I like the look of the Alfa 147, but worried about depreciation
- ideally would like something FAST, with leather, air con, CD etc, maybe auto
- like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 2.7 diesel sounds like an ideal choice, this is in budget
- other end of the scale, Lotus Elises seem to be going for around this price, as do some Honda S2000's
- also seems like some BMWs - 330, 325 - fall into budget, shape before the current one, older M3's look nice

Any advice greatfully received, as you can see I'm all over the shop really

Thanks
Dirk
What car for 10-12k? - Quinny100
Cars don't come much more different than a Lotus Elise and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel!

Think you need to do a bit more work yourself.

What about a Mondeo ST220?
What car for 10-12k? - islandman
Decide what type of car you want first then look at what's available in that range. Get the 1st bit wrong and you soon regret it!
What car for 10-12k? - BazzaBear {P}
You could probably get an Alfa 147 GTA for the money you're suggesting. It would give you a 3.2 V6 - one of the sweetest engines you'll ever come across.
You've already stated you like the look of them, and the GTA is pretty rare (I saw figures the other day, I think there's around 150 in the country) and sought after, so the depreciation seems to be keeping above the usual Alfa rate.
It is certainly fast, and has everything you ask for. Available as a 'selespeed', rather than an auto, but you might not get one of those in your budget.