Fit for sale? - DuncanSuperb
One for HJ here perhaps.......

Investigating an oil leak, our local mechanic has just informed me that the 'rear main oil seal' on our Focus needs replacing, which apparently means taking out the gear box and fly wheel and replacing the clutch plate etc.... I'm not mechanically knowledgeable so just reapeating what was said.

The car is a 2001 tdi saloon with 50K on the clock and we bought it from an independent dealer in December with a 3 month dealer warranty.

I have contacted the dealer who said "bring it in and we'll look at it"...... which I will do over the weekend.

Please can I have some advice on my consumer rights.... Is the dealer liable? Is it wear and tear? Can I expect a heated debate? If it comes to it can I threaten a small claims court?

None of these issues may arise if the dealer (as I hope) simply complies and sorts it for me but advice would be appreciated.
Fit for sale? - Collos25
The selling agent within the first three months of purchase has an outright obligation to correct the fault .
Fit for sale? - T Lucas
My bet says some 'magic seal repair solution' added to the oil will be the repair.
Fit for sale? - local yokel
Cut and dried - fault develops within warranty period, dealer should fix.
.... the cynical view I hope, but how can I ensure against this sort of outcome? Would my local mechanic be able to verify that the full repair has been made? How do I know that the clutch plate has been replaced?
Fit for sale? - local yokel
You could ask to see the old one, perhaps?
I'll let you know how it goes....
Fit for sale? - zm
Please can I have some advice on my consumer rights....
Is the dealer liable? Is it wear and tear?
Can I expect a heated debate? If it comes
to it can I threaten a small claims court?

>>

Why are you asking a load of people on an internet chat room?

Would it not be more sensible to go and ask trading standards in the first place, who would tell you exactly the best course of action?

Fit for sale? - cheddar
Why are you asking a load of people on an internet
chat room?

Its called sharing experiences.
Fit for sale? - drbe
>> Why are you asking a load of people on an
internet
>> chat room?
>>
Its called sharing experiences.

>>

It's also called a discussion forum for motoring matters.