rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - trevs
hello my son has a rover 214 the head gasket went, the head gasket has been replaced the car runs fine ticks over fine but the water is not flowing properly, the heater is cold, and it seams to bulid up a lot of presure.The car has not been used since this work being done on it only running on my drive, does anybody have any good idears about this, i dont want to spend loads of money on it as its a p reg and not worth a lot of money and i dont want to scrap it as its a clean tidy car.
many thanks for you help trev
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Peter D
Let the car run up to normal temp with the cap undone. Tigthen the cap and rev the engine if the system now pressurised and the hoses become quite firm then eother the gasket has not sealed or the head has a hairly crack in it due to the original overhead. Do this test and come back to the tread with the results and observations. Like can you see and bubbles leaching into the ehader tank or fumes coming from the coolant. Regards Peter
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Collos25
More than likely just an airlock run the engine for 20 minutes without the rad cap and watch for the air bubbles when they stop replace the cap.
i have just put in some wounder weld for cracked heads in my car, the water started to flow as it should do after 20 mins the heater is now hot and running fine, so the car must have a small hair line crack in the head. i will see how longs it runs for and its not using water now.many thanks for your advice trev.
sorry i forgot to say its not building up presure like it was before i put the wounder weld in so we will see what happens next with it. lol
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Peter D
Was it still pressuring the water before you put the wonder weld in it. Regards Peter
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Micky

">run the engine for 20 minutes without the rad cap<"

No, no and no. The reduction in pressure of the coolant will lead to micro-boiling, erosion and HGF (have I said that before?)
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Micky
"> Let the car run up to normal temp with the cap undone. <"

No, no and no. The reduction in pressure of the coolant will lead to micro-boiling, erosion and HGF.
Before i put the wonder weld it all it was doing was building up at lot of presure, i left the cap of for 30 mins all the water was being pushed out the top and water wasnt flowing, after i put the wounder weld in after 20 mins the water started flowing as it should do, i have since used the car to do 50 miles after letting the engine cool down the water level is the same as before i left home, so i will keep my fingers crossed and check the water daily , many thanks for your kind advice trev
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Civic8
How long ago was it done,H/G that is,ie was it warranted?
--
Steve
no i done the work my self as i didnt want to pay £ 200 to have the work done, cars only worth £ 500 so it wasnt worth spending much on it, but its running fine now, if my son gets a few more months out of it its ok you no how 17yr old treat there cars. think they have F1 lol
rover 214 - headgasket / coolant prob? - Civic8
You would not get the job done properly for £200.But dont expect this wunda stuff to last,I`ve heard of it blocking the waterways and wrecking the engine.
--
Steve