The Man who would ban motorcycles - mybrainhurts
Michael Meacher, guardian of the environment and enemy of the motorcycle, was caught out by the Sunday Times.

Journalists phoned his home to query his holiday trip to Spain, in view of the fact that his department is urging tourists to stay in the UK to support the countryside's economy in the wake of foot & mouth.

Throughout the telephone conversation, he passed himself off as his constituency agent and denied knowledge of his trip to Spain. The jounalist tried to call him back, but Meacher had not hung up his phone. He was heard in a heated debate with his wife, who said he should have come clean about his Spanish jaunt.

Oh dear, must go, me ribs are aching......................
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - Alwyn
Meacher has said he will take note of the Gaian hypothesis when making environmental decisions.

So humans are a cancer on Mother Earth and there are too many of us?

I think he should lead by example.
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - Brian
You might be ibterested in the reply I got From DEFRA when I queried the reported proposal to ban motorcycles in National Parks:Thank you for your e-mail message.

You will be pleased to know that Michael Meacher's letter to Police Chief Officers has been misunderstood. There is no intention whatsoever of banning motorcyclists from the countryside and the police have not been asked to harass motorcyclists.

Michael Meacher's letter was sent in response to specific complaints of some motorcyclists acting irresponsibly by using roads in National Parks or Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty to drive their bikes at excessive speeds. Press articles last summer highlighted the problem.

Michael Meacher is concerned to protect the special qualities of the National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty for the enjoyment of all. I am sure you will agree that it is wrong for a small minority of motorcyclists to spoil the safe and peaceful enjoyment of the countryside by driving illegally at high speeds. There is no suggestion that the majority of motorcyclists are other than law-abiding.

The Government fully accepts that motorcyclists have a right to enjoy National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Indeed, Michael Meacher decided in 1997 to resist calls for a general ban on off-road vehicular use. Instead he issued guidance to local authorities on how such use might be best managed.

Michael Meacher's letter simply asked Police Chief Officers to deal with any problems through the enforcement of legislation on speeding and dangerous driving.

I am sorry that this has been interpreted as criticism of motorcyclists as a group. That was not the intention at all.

Yours sincerely

Gillian Lewisohn
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - crazed
you may be interested in the open letters from serving polcie officers at abd.org.uk which specifically mention that they are often instructed to "go out and do a few bikers"

impartial "without fear or favour" policing it isnt
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - Alwyn
Brian,

Do you have an e-mail address for Mr Meachers office?

Cheers
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - crazed
oh and on the subject of police driver and other training (they have the highest off duty accident record of any profession)

Some police training is inadequate, not properly supervised or appraised and the service has been let down by a lack of strategic level management, direction, vision and resources, a damning new report by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary claims.

The report says that trainers, tutors and supervisors are essential to the probationer constable programme and while the Inspectorate found many committed, enthusiastic, expert and selfless individuals helping to make the system work, the other side of the structure could put the probationer at risk in facing the daily operational policing challenge. Sir Keith Povey, HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary, says in his forward to the report: ?All too often, however, such people are working in spite of the structures and management on whom they should depend. Too many of those essential to the development of probationers are not being given adequate training, are not properly or regularly supervised and appraised, and the higher level management is not closely in touch.?

All of this resulted in the probationer being left without necessary oversight, guidance and professional development. ?They can all too easily become at risk, when facing the daily challenges of the operational patrol strength, but lacking all the basic skills and knowledge, and without the support of a fully qualified tutor or supervisor. The risk transfers itself both to the organisation, and to the public they serve.?

The report states that there was little evidence of a structured service-wide approach to the role of tutor constable that is an essential element of the PTP (Police Training Programme). ?Where probationers are in an operational setting but inadequately tutored, they, their colleagues, the service and ultimately the public are at risk? The community is not being consulted and it is unlikely that the current training system properly takes into account society?s needs. Training accommodation in use around the country causes ?great concern.? It adds: ?No officer should have to endure the examples of the poor standards of accommodation uncovered during this inspection.?

The report says that if all the relevant planning processes are not integrated and properly resourced, the current training provision cannot be sustained and officers will be inadequately trained. Operational capability will be weakened and, as a result, public confidence in the police will be undermined.
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - J Bonington Jagworth
"the police have not been asked to harass motorcyclists"

Of course, that's not quite the same thing as being asked not to harass motorcyclists...
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - Brian
Alwyn
This is who I contacted:

Department for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs
Countryside Division 1
Zone 1/04
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6EB

Tel: 0117 372 8532
Fax: 0117 372 8250

e-mail: nationalparks.aonbs@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Web Site: www.defra.gov.uk
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - THe Growler
Yes I am here in UK. I think I'll have a few of the cats from the local Hog Chapter pay a visit to Mr Meacher and show him their baseball bats......
Re: The Man who would ban motorcycles - mybrainhurts
crazed, how right you are.

In addition to observing Panda driver errors too numerous to mention, I followed an old diesel Mondeo recently, complete with police instructor and 3 student drivers.

Making a rapid ascent of the Snake Pass, I caught them up. Noticing the small "police driver under instruction" sticker on the bootlid, I decided to refrain from overtaking. They drove painfully slowly to the summit and down the other side into Glossop. From there, the limit is 30 for several miles up to the M67. They ignored the limit and held 40-45mph throughout.

They seemed to be enjoying a joke session & the instuctor was more interested in shop windows than teaching.

I do try to observe 30 & 40 and know I shouldn't have followed them, but curiosity got the better of me. They weren't even in a hurry, I passed them on the M67 & left them on the horizon.