2003 Mondeo Diesel dropping revs - yintong5
Hi,
I'm pretty useless when it comes to understanding diesel engines, so I hope somebody may have some ideas to help me.
I bought this car 6 months ago as a tow car with 126,00 miles and FSH, but there are a number of points that are a nuisance/worry and I really can't afford the expense of toddling off to garages without some understanding under my belt.
The car starts fine every morning. Then, after about a couple of hundred yards the revs will drop, and upon pushing the accelerator, drop a good lump of blue smoke and then shoot off as if to make up for lost time. I assume this is valve stems/seals. But the other problem is more concerning; at any time, when pulling off from a stand, the engine will suddenly drop revs and will need coaxing back to life with the accelerator - usually in the middle of the carriageway; this time jumping forward with a plume of black smoke. Upon investigation of the service history (yes, I know, check before you buy) the car had been filled with petrol sometime shortly before the sale. any ideas what damage could have been done? also, when towing my caravan, if I put my foot down too hard on the motorway the glowplug light comes on and the car drops to a crawl until I pull over, stop the engine and restart.
I've tried Wynns fuel tank cleaner and injection cleaner (for diesel) which I've always sworn by, but no difference
Thanks in advance
Stuart

2003 Mondeo Diesel dropping revs - Aprilia
I would get shot of it ASAP. One of these that's had a dose of petrol isn't going to give you low-cost motoring! Lord knows what financial nightmares lie ahead.
There's always a sucker for a Diesel though, so move it on. P/X it or put it through an auction.
2003 Mondeo Diesel dropping revs - yintong5
Thanks Aprilia, my thoughts are beginning to move in that direction. I like your comment about 'there's always a sucker for a diesel' I think on that particular day it was me!