Mileometer an MOT requirement? - nick
The mileometer on a 1953 Daimler Conquest I own isn't working although the speedo works perfectly. It doesn't bother me much but obviously Mr. MOT man is going to notice I have done zero miles in a year including driving to and from the MOT station. Is it legal requirement to have a working mileometer?
Also, does anyone have any experience of fixing old speedos or know of any companies that can do it? I could always swap it for a secondhand one I suppose if it was too expensive.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - martint123
Not part of the test - not even required.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - local yokel
I've had vehicles through the Good Vehicle test without a working speedo or mileometer. The tacho does not need to be checked as they are private LGV status.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - Imagos
Mileometer?

Odometer shurely?
Mileometer?
Odometer shurely?

According to my dictionary, mileometer is the english word, odometer is the US word. However they are synonymous and I use either. You caught me in a mileometer mood.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - s61sw
I suppose mileometer is O.K. when you are dealing in miles, but 'kilometremeter' is a bit awkward - hence odometer.
S6 1SW
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - NARU
Many imported vehicles have the speedo face changed to mph, but continue to clock up Km on the odometer.

Non-working odometers takes me back to a car a friend asked me to check over for him. It had "35,000 miles". But when I started to check the paperwork, the last three MOTs showed much the same mileage - but some a little more than was showing now, some a little less. Turned out that the pin from the hundreds to the thousands digits was broken so it always read 35xxx, and when xxx got to 999, it went back to 000.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - JH
serves 'em right, they should have thought of it at the time :-) I'm sure the French Ecole has a long French word for it anyway.
JH
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - artful dodger {P}
The MOT for vehicles as old as yours are far more lax than a modern car. 30 years ago I can remember seeing a car of similar age having a test and both front doors were missing, it still passed! I feel sure someone else should be able to direct you to a site for MOT requirements for older vehicles.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Mileometer an MOT requirement? - Cliff Pope
I have a feeling that any car that was originally fitted with doors has to have them for an MOT, unless perhaps it's a jeep-type vehicle where the doors were optional extras.

Mileometers (I'll stick with that word, now I know it is the English) usually have a pair of little bevel gears, on the end of the input shaft, just after the flexible bit enters. This drives the shaft that carries all the tumbler wheels with the numerals. The gears have to turn the drive through 90 degrees, and are usually the first bit to fail in a mechanical speedometer unit. You may be able to get spares, or cannibalise from another unit, but the ratio of the number of teeth will be important for accuracy.
Many thanks for the advice one and all.