How often do you change your road atlas? - frazerjp
As the above topic says, how often do you change yours?
I've had mine since 2004 do i need to change mine yet or not?
Has the sat nav age change all this?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
How often do you change your road atlas? - Altea Ego
at 2.99 a pop I get one every year. A sat nav does not replace an atlas, the two complement each other
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How often do you change your road atlas? - R75
Road atlas is circa 1998 (bridge height version), not enough has changed to make me need to update it. My AtoZ of London is Circa 1988, still does the job as well as a new one would - but have to be honest in that I use satnav the majority of the time now.
How often do you change your road atlas? - pmh
Whenever I find a 1 or 2 year old copy in a remainder bookshop for about 25% of the cover price. (Same for French road maps, as the spiral bound tend to lose the local page after about 2 years ).

The older maps then ripple down thro the variety of cars.
--

pmh (was peter)

How often do you change your road atlas? - oilrag
I changed mine and discovered a new motorway that had been there about 10 years.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Number_Cruncher
>>(bridge height version)

That would really be useful if it were also a legal requirement to put the height of a truck on a sticker in the cab, or on the front corner of a trailer.

If you drive the same truck every day, you probably know the height, but if you swap and change, it's a real problem. I have tended to stop the truck, get out, walk round and check that I'm not going to hit th bridge - much to the annoyance of following traffic! It's odd for such a technically advanced country that delays to road and rail caused by bridge strike incidents are still a problem.

Number_Cruncher
That would really be useful if it were also a legal
requirement to put the height of a truck on a sticker
in the cab, or on the front corner of a trailer.

Number_Cruncher

It has been a legal requirement for a number of years for vehicles over 3m high to have a height indicator in the cab - in fact I dont think they can pass an MOT without it. Does not mean people take any notice of it!!!!!!!!!
How often do you change your road atlas? - Simon
>>It has been a legal requirement for a number of years for vehicles over 3m high to have a height indicator in the >>cab - in fact I dont think they can pass an MOT without it.

True it is a legal requirement to have a height indicator in the cab of a vehicle over 3 metres, but it is not a MOT requirement, which I suppose is another daft part of goverment legislation, ie one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.
True it is a legal requirement to have a height indicator
in the cab of a vehicle over 3 metres, but it
is not a MOT requirement, which I suppose is another daft
part of goverment legislation, ie one hand doesn't know what the
other is doing.

But it is part of the 6 weekly safety inspection though.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Number_Cruncher
>>But it is part of the 6 weekly safety inspection though.

Ah, but that inspection is operator specific. Vehicle oerators have to define their own inspection systems in consultation with VOSA which suit their vehicle's operating conditions - for example vehicle which see a lot of site work are typically inspected more often than 6 weeks.

Number_Cruncher

How often do you change your road atlas? - Clanger
I really liked my 15 year-old Readers Digest road atlas with the fold-over east-west edges but I don't get offered Readers Digest stuff any more. Perhaps they have lost my address?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
How often do you change your road atlas? - Pugugly {P}
"Perhaps they have lost my address"

Starting Monday you will be guaranteed to have won £250,000 see the cheque it even has Pay Mr H. Eye written on it.

Seriously the old RD Atlas was the Bis.
How often do you change your road atlas? - mike hannon
We had an old Readers' Digest (French) road atlas with the fold-over pages and it was great. Last spring we had a flyer in the post from RD offering the new version so we bought it. It's even better than the old one - but, oh the heartache and extra work for the facteur (postman) ever since. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever buy another. Oddly enough we didn't win the half million euros either, even though I could have sworn they said the cheque was written and ready to post...
How often do you change your road atlas? - Avant
Philip's Navigator, about every 2 years - well worth it as I'm a great one for diverting off jammed motorways and following minor roads to the next junction (or wherever Trafficmaster says the jam ends).

Tomtom no good as 'Jane' usually tries to get you back to the motorway - she has a passion for the M1 in particular.

Navigator atlases are 1.5 inches to the mile (3 inches in the Highlands) and - at least as far as actual roads are concerned - almost as detailed as an Ordnance Survey one-inch map.

Also very useful if you are on holiday in Britain - one Navigator soon pays for itself compared with sundry OS maps.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Muggy
My London A-Z is about a year old.

My Surrey Street Atlas is brand new.

Readers' Digest do still produce a UK Atlas - I got mine last spring; the ISBN number is 0-276-42723-8.

How often do you change your road atlas? - Stuartli
I always found the Collins road atlas to be the best, both for clarity and a larger scale than the four miles to an inch type so prevalent these days.

The latest AA road atlas is sold in my area for £1.99 just prior to the year it is issued to represent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How often do you change your road atlas? - Vansboy
Not quite a fully functioning atlas, but Tesco have piles of FREE UK map booklets, with all their stores & facilities, of each, listed.

Handy if you need petrol, pint of milk & nappy change en route, I guess!!

Check the Customer Service desk for yours!

VB
How often do you change your road atlas? - Lud
Got a couple lying around, one fairly recent. They do the trick.
How often do you change your road atlas? - nick
The latest ones have speed camera locations on the maps, very useful in an unfamiliar area.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Imagos
I have a hardbound UK atlas which dates from 1976.

Interesting to to read on dark winters nights!
How often do you change your road atlas? - cardriver
I like the new AA atlases with speed camera's posted so change every 1-2 years now so they are up to date with camera info.
As a bove I buy last years just into the new year so it is alot cheaper (if you know what I mean).
How often do you change your road atlas? - Pugugly {P}
"Interesting to to read on dark winters nights!"

Yes - flashback to childhood. However only last week spent a pleasant half hour mentally touring the Mons - Ypres areas courtesy of the yellow Michelin map No 53 1/200000, as a storm roared outside. Of course the weather in mapland was perfect as were the road conditions and the food. French maps are sooo stylish.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Imagos
Still use now and again a 1991 A to Z for the West end in London.

Nothing has changed as far as I can see. Plan to keep/use it indefinitely!
How often do you change your road atlas? - Robbie
I change my UK road atlas every couple of years and I buy a new IGN road map of France every year.
How often do you change your road atlas? - mike hannon
That's all right as long as you've got someone with you to change it for you...
How often do you change your road atlas? - JH
The Christmas after it falls apart.
JH
How often do you change your road atlas? - NowWheels
In theory, I guess I'd replace it every two years or so.

In practice I replace it about once a year, always after it has been given away, or borrowed and not returned, or chewed by the dog, or otherwise damaged. At £2 or £3 each, it's a disposable item (though now used only an occasional accessory for the satnav).

Quite a contrast to my parents, who both used until a year or two ago AA Road Atlases of Ireland which dated from the late 1950s. These were beautifully detailed, robustly-bound, 1"-thick hard-cover books which came in very solid cardboard holders, to stop them flipping open and being damged. They were not just maps: these were proper atlases which also included lots of pages of detailed info on towns and tourist attractions, guidance on suggested routes etc, tables of distances, etc. I guess they must have been quite expensive when new, and were certainly not in the disposable bracket.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Manstein
A new Collins atlas every couple of years but my consumption of A-Z's might go down since I bought a GPS. I would never rely on the GPS alone always have maps with me.
How often do you change your road atlas? - rtj70
I too always have a fairly recent map - they are so cheap. But have sat nav and check route in case I disagree and need to replot.

I have had sat nav via PDA since 2003 and never looked back. Also have via the mobile now tooso almost always available. Great on the PDA with OS maps care of Memory Map too.

Jan 29th will be in Rome for 4 nights. Will take my BT GPS receiver and my mobile phone. Won't use for navigating while walking unless totally lost but useful to plan walking routes between the sites at the hotel. e.g. 3 years ago did the same to find shortest route from hotel to intended restaurant - mother in law did not want to walk far that night and via "back streets" cut journey to a few hundred yards instead of obvious tourist route ... but hotel only a few blocks away!

But if sat nav asks me to walk into the Tiber what should I do :-)
How often do you change your road atlas? - Happy Blue!
My new business partner, who i used to work with (and share an office with ten years ago) came in today with my old OS road atlas at 3miles ot the inch. Nothing I have used since has been any good and I am so glad he brought it in. Its far better than SatNav for getting out of jams.
well the sat nav was utterly useless in Venice, and not much better in rome. Rarely got a signal, and its not good to walk around advertising your sat nav!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How often do you change your road atlas? - Aretas
I, too, am a fan of the Philip's Navigator. However, if you want your computer to locate an address or to check out a route I find Mitchelin (www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHo...m ) to be very easy to use.
How often do you change your road atlas? - SjB {P}
As TVM says, an Atlas compliments sat nav, so mine still gets used despite me being an early adopted of the latter. When do I replace the atlas? I buy a coiled spined copy each time for ease of folding back, but the downside is that frequently used pages get tatty, torn, and illegible near the spine. My atlas therefore gets replaced when this happens.
How often do you change your road atlas? - Xileno {P}
Every year - £1-50 in Asda.
Maps and atlases are works of art, they are tomes of geography and history. They should never be allowed to die. A sat nav will never plan you a scenic route, or a fun drivers route, or a sunday drive in the country.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How often do you change your road atlas? - tyro
Every 5 years.

I have tended to get the cheap AA one in Bargain Books, though I have been attracted to the hard back AA ones lately on the grounds that they look more wife-proof.