The nonsense of SORN... - Waino
I recently received a £40 fine (+ backtax) for forgetting to tax/SORN my motorbike that has sat in the garage for the last 4 months - it hasn't been on the road. Now my son is renewing the annual SORN notice on his Yamaha 98cc motorbike which hasn't moved out of the garage for 5 years (current annual tax rate £15). We have no immediate plans to put the Yamaha back on the road - so we could be renewing SORN notices ad infinitum.

I have never used an untaxed vehicle on the highway and have no intention of doing so in the future. What a wasteful bureaucratic nonsense this is!

Rant over!
The nonsense of SORN... - Carse
Waino,

Although I sympathise with your plight the whole point of SORN is to stop the people who do NOT do as you do and drive their vehicles un-taxed etc? How do they make the distinction?

There needs to be a way of knowing who is driving legally and who isn?t and although I think SORN is not the complete answer it is a start.

Too many people in this country break the law and drive with no tax, MOT, insurance etc... And we need to look at all possible methods to stop this and allow the law abiding citizens to drive on the roads affordably and safely.

Carse
The nonsense of SORN... - R75
That would be fine if it were not for the fact that those who drive without tax, insurance, MOT etc are highly unlikely to have the car registered in their name - so the SORN only really affects the honest members of society.
The nonsense of SORN... - Collos25
Its only because the UK makes everything over complicated in Germany you would have to hand the plates back and thats all you would hear till you wanted to reuse it.
Could anyone tell me when SORNs came in? I've had an old, none-runner motorbike in the back of the garage for 30 years and a friend has a none-runner moped and neither of us complete an annual SORN declaration for them. Thanks
A vehicle that old will have lost the right to be registered on its existing number might even be on another vehicle by now.
The nonsense of SORN... - Dwight Van Driver
Could anyone tell me when SORNs came in? I've had an old, none-runner motorbike in the back of the garage for 30 years and a friend has a none-runner moped and neither of us complete an annual SORN declaration for them. Thanks

GB vehicles pre 31.1.98 if :

a. No duty paid on that date,and
b. No Licence taken out since, and
c. Never used on a public road since

are exempt from SORN. (Schedule 4 Road Vehicles (Reg and L:ic) Regs 2002

Probably find re motor cycle that because of non movement on the VRM DVLA may have culled it from their records unless a continued interest has been notified to them.

dvd
The nonsense of SORN... - Sim-O
A vehicle that old will have lost the right to be
registered on its existing number might even be on another vehicle
by now.

The number will not be on another vehicle unless it has been officially transfered, DVLA aren't going to withdraw a number or give it to another vehicle unless they are told to by transfer or scrapping.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
The nonsense of SORN... - Brit_in_Germany
Would a solution be to "export" the bike to Germany, deregister it and then "import" a crate of "engineering equipment"?

BIG
The nonsense of SORN... - pmh
But you then may loose the right to the Regn mark and have to reregister in the future.

--

pmh (was peter)

Well, the old Triumph T21 was last taxed in 1976 so I suppose if I wanted to retain the old number I'd have to pay £400 to the DVLC. How I adore Gordon Brown!
The nonsense of SORN... - Fullchat
Got a T20 (well the old and new log books) with a good earner on it. Find it s a case of dual standards where DVLA can sell off numbers willy nilly yet the punter who has one has to have the roadworthy machine, MOT so an and so forth before they can sell a number. I do appreciate that DVLA own all the numbers and only actuall lease them out but hey!!
--
Fullchat
The nonsense of SORN... - MagDrop
I?ve got three vehicles on SORN at most times. It?s very little bother to me, I just renew it on line on the earliest date specified on the renewal notice. I make an entry on my easy to use PC calendar to remind me.

I would be more worried by mutterings from DVLA about charging for SORN or (Heaven forbid) even making insurance compulsory for SORN?d vehicles.

Not heard much about that recently, perhaps it?s been scuppered.
The nonsense of SORN... - patpending
I can't believe I am seeing Germany held up as a shining example here.

To register a car from another town you need IIRC some 11 bits and pieces - including the original number plates clutched in your hand!

Oh yes, and you need a spare morning, too.

You'd just better be sure what letter of the alphabet officialdom believe your name starts with - or you will waste half an hour sitting outside the wrong closed door!
The nonsense of SORN... - freddy1
and the latest news

We know exactly where any untaxed car is located among the millions of cars in Britain. But we haven't got a clue as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the DVLA in charge of immigration...
The nonsense of SORN... - pd
That'll be a SIIN (Statuary Illegal Immigrant Notification) or a SATN (Statuary Active Terrorist-Cell Notification)? As long as you can do it online I'm all for it. :)
I like it
The nonsense of SORN... - Cliff Pope
That'll be a SIIN (Statuary Illegal Immigrant Notification) or a SATN
(Statuary Active Terrorist-Cell Notification)? As long as you can do it
online I'm all for it. :)

There's a £40 fine for failing to complete a SIIN or SATIN form.
We know exactly where any untaxed car is located among the millions of cars in Britain. But we haven't got a clue as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the DVLA in charge of immigration.>>

But this is typical of the British police service/Home Office today, isn't it? Going for the easy stuff is much more likely to yield successful statistics than the difficult stuff.
The nonsense of SORN... - Dwight Van Driver
Get used to SORN.

Why?

Coz in the Road Safety Act 2006 it will require that a similar system will apply in relation to car Insurance when they decide to bring it in. All that is required is a Stat Instrument.

dvd
The nonsense of SORN... - Cliff Pope
Get used to SORN.
Why?
Coz in the Road Safety Act 2006 it will require that
a similar system will apply in relation to car Insurance when
they decide to bring it in. All that is
required is a Stat Instrument.
dvd

Can you elaborate that? You mean there will be a requirement to insure a SORNed vehicle? Against what? Supposing it isn't roadworthy? Supposing it is in pieces?
The nonsense of SORN... - Dalglish
Can you elaborate that? You mean there will be a requirement to insure a SORNed vehicle? Against what?
Supposing it isn't roadworthy? Supposing it is in pieces? ..

Illegal to keep an un-insured car? - Cliff Pope Sun 20 Nov 05 11:08

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36407&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=35410&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...2

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/60049--a.htm#22

www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/docume...y
_pdf_033114.pdf

The nonsense of SORN... - mare
and the latest news
We know exactly where any untaxed car is located among the
millions of cars in Britain. But we haven't got a clue
as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located.
Maybe we should put the DVLA in charge of immigration...

well done! The thread lasted 13 posts and 14 hours before the all prevading evil of illegal immigration was brought up, and all because OP forgot to fill a form in on time.

It's getting boring: there are homegrown criminals and terrorists you know.
The nonsense of SORN... - Pugugly {P}
"But this is typical of the British police service"

Er......what exactly has it got to do with the Police ?

SORN isn't a perfect system, at least it ties off some loopholes, owners are asked to comply with a simple rule as in "fill out a form if your car is untaxed and in the garage/driveway" Human nature dictates that the innocent will forget, but we also forget other things as well like birthdays, anniversaries. At least DVLA might forgive you if you ask nicely. And yes people do drive SORN'd cars on roads, the courts aren't full of them but they do appear now and again. Move on.
At least DVLA might forgive you if you ask nicely.

Trouble is .... if you don't get the correspondence sorted in time, the fine doubles.

Move on >>

I have - RFL now paid ... cheque for fine in the post ... "For sale" sign on the Suzuki (head rules heart).
The nonsense of SORN... - DP
"For sale" sign on the Suzuki (head rules
heart).

Nooooooooooooooooooooo......... :-(
The nonsense of SORN... - Pugugly {P}
Sorry Waino the Move on remark wasn't aimed at you in particular. No offence meant.
Sorry Waino the Move on remark wasn't aimed at you in particular. No offence meant.>>

's OK, PU, no offence taken. I was just feeling a bit cheesed off at being caught this way.

I saw a similar sort of thing a couple of months ago when I was surveying in Feering, Essex. I was looking to park my car in a side street to start work when I noticed a sign on a wall. On closer inspection, it said 'No parking between 1000 and 1100'. It dawned on me that this was designed to prevent commuters from dumping their cars for the day and catching the train to London from the local station. A glance at my watch showed that it was a few minutes after 1100, so I was OK to park. A chap then appeared from a house at the side of the road to find a parking ticket on his car. It turned out that he was a digger driver working on the drive of the house and while he was working, both he and house-owner had to put their cars out on the street. They had been caught in a trap not meant for them and were faced with a 'double-fine if not paid by a certain date' clause to discourage any further discussion.