Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Red_Dash
Hi

I am having problems trying to remove the dust caps from the tyres on my 2005 (05) Mondeo Titanium X. the caps are not your usual plastic affairs but are the standard ones which came with the car and are metal with hexagonal heads. I have tried to take them off with my fingers... no luck. I have tried to turn them with a spanner... no luck (the valve just starts to turn. I have also tried to hold the valve with my fingers or a pair of grips and the trying to turn the cap but again no luck (I had to be very careful as there is a danger that I will damage the rubber on the valve doing that.)

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get the blighters off apart from getting the tires off to get the valves off and then get the caps off??

Thanks
Dave
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Bill Payer
Are they the original tyres (and therefore valves) that the car came out of the factory with?

When was the car last serviced? Presumeably they checked the tyre pressures.

Take it back to the dealer and ask them to remove the dust caps.

(They could be a recipe for disaster - I had 2 sets of metal caps nicked off my Merc but I stopped replacing them when I read somewhere that they *always* get nicked. If someone is so determined to remove yours that they damage the valve then you could have a blowout if the valve suddenly lets go).
Hi Bill

I last checked the tyre pressures about a month ago and I only did them finger tight. I have a feeling that they have corroded slightly onto the valves and thats why they are such hard work to try and remove.

Dave
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Hamsafar
Do they have grub screws? If so, you need to loosen with an allen key first.
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Hamsafar
im.edirectory.co.uk/products/2830/i/richbrook67.jpg
?
Hi Ashok

No they dont :-(

Dave
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Dynamic Dave
Try applying a small amount of plus-gas to them. If you haven't got any, then try wd-40.
Hi Dave

I tried some WD40 a few days ago but they aint shiftin'

Cheers
Dave
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Red Baron
Lets hope that you have not managed to cross-thread them.

Try two pliers...one to grip the cap and the other to prevent the valve stem from turning.
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - sierraman
But wrap aome tape,isulating or masking,round the stem to protect the rubber.
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Have you annoyed anyone recently? May be superglued in place? :)
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Mondeo Titanium X - tyre dust cap remova - quizman
First they make it nearly impossible to change your oil, now you can't check your tyre pressures. Progress!!!
Hi

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread :-)

I tried the trick with the pliers and insulation tape but they still wouldnt budge. The only thing that was turning was the rubber on the valve. Eventaully I used a mini hacksaw to get them off, being very careful not to damage anything else in the progress. I now have a cheap plastic set on. They dont look as good but hey.. they come off easier :-)

Cheers
Dave

Oh yes... they were not superglued on ;-)