S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - Brian Tryzers
I have, although neither very extensively. I don't need seven seats but quite often want more than four, and would value something that will carry an adult bike and some rear-seat passengers at the same time. This makes the C4P and the S-Max front runners because the last five seats fold in any combination (which the Zafira's don't) which allows for maximum versatility when travelling with children and bulky sports kit for our aspirational, highly active outdoor lifestyle. (Because, of course, I'm a sporty, adventurous type and not a fortyish, balding dad - but you knew that, didn?t you?)

I've driven each for about an hour, on a mix of familiar roads and in some town traffic to see if I could cope with something so bulky - no problem in either case. A few likes and dislikes:

S-Max likes:
very easy to drive with no fancy tricks to the controls ? everything works as you?d expect;
good seats (except in the LX) and plenty of room for a 6'6" driver and his size 12 feet;
room for another of me in the second row and for a child with legs behind him;
adequate performance in 1.8D version I tried ? sure the 2.0D would be ideal
quiet and relaxed - my motorway cruise speed is about 2200 rpm in 6th

S-Max dislikes (not many):
rather jiggly at low-moderate speeds over uneven tarmac (although smooth enough when cruising);
silver-painted console and orange-backlit LCD displays seem lurid to one used to subtle Swedish interiors;
some rather low-rent plastic below armrest level, but looks like it would be easy to keep clean.

C4P likes:
beautiful, covetable design object ? evidently done with real flair and imagination;
smooth ride but still well-poised at speed;
excellent view out;
fabulous interior in gorgeous materials;
well-shaped and supportive front seats ? a world away from the washing-up sponges in the first C5;
quiet and powerful 2.0D engine but even 6th gear is on the low side;
loading aperture with 3rd row folded 100mm taller than S-Max.

C4P dislikes:
Central speedometer ? presumably it?s just beyond your right hand in LHD but in RHD it?s just too far away; rev-counter is too small and requires too much concentration to use intuitively;
Auto-everything functions confusing: auto-wipers work well, auto-lights don?t;
Not enough space behind a tall driver for a tall adult; seatback tables reduce kneeroom;
Semi-auto gearbox hard to drive smoothly, although this will presumably improve with practice. Not so the push-button parking brake ? truly horrible and you?ll see a lot of C4Ps with brake lights on at traffic lights;
Worst ? and this probably knocks the C4P on the head for me ? I couldn?t find a comfortable position for my redundant left foot. There is a footrest but it just gets in the way ? I ended up resting the side of my foot on the floor, which won?t be comfortable for long.

I?d be interested in other people?s thoughts, since these two are clearly chasing similar markets. It may come down to a Head-v-Heart argument for some ? the C4P looks fantastic but I suspect the S-Max will work better for longer. Either way, the Mondeo estate looks redundant ? the S-Max is no bigger but offers vastly more capability.

Finally, does anyone have a current, authoritative view on the implications of sitting in the third row of one of these during a rear-end collision? The S-Max has substantially more car behind the last row, which weighs heavily on the Head side of the argument for me.

Clive
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - rtj70
For my next car (october 2007) I'm tempted by the S-MAX but will wait to see the new Mondeo first. I don't need more than 2-3 seats normally but more than 5 would occasionally be useful. And the additional seats need to be suitable for adults.

As for "Finally, does anyone have a current, authoritative view on the implications of sitting in the third row of one of these during a rear-end collision? The S-Max has substantially more car behind the last row, which weighs heavily on the Head side of the argument for me."

I cannot comment on crash safety and sure they all pass the tests. But our hire car (Fiesta) was struck from behind last summer by an HGV at some speed. Anyone in the rear would have probably been killed because the roof caved in as the car became shorter. My head ripped open at the back by the buckled roof and passed out. Lucky there were no rear passengers. This is something that says I might go for the Mondeo over the S-MAX because I would not want anyone so far back in the passenger space.

Could try to post a sobering picture if anyone interested. I keep mentioning it.
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - Blue {P}
I'm always quite morbid so wouldn't mind seeing the picture!

Blue
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - rtj70
After remembering my MSN logon details ('cos I don't logon for that) I tried to add photos to the HJ MSN page.... but you need to be a member.

So Blue I've emailed the picture for an opinion (email address from your {P}rofile) to see if you think anyone would even be interested in seeing the smashed rear of a Fiesta.... And after 5 months Italian police still investigating.....

Rob
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - Brian Tryzers
Thanks Rob. Even without pictures, that sounds seriously unpleasant and would probably have been bad news for the rear occupants of just about any car. It fuels my scepticism over the Euro-NCAP tests, though, and not just in the seven-seat sector, that the makers talk so much about the protection of occupants from frontal and lateral collisions and not at all about what happens when you're hit from behind. After all, most of us, by driving carefully, can reduce the likelihood of being hit from front or side; the two really scary near-misses I've had were both in queues on motorways, when I was stationary and other cars have come to rest level with me on the hard shoulder - nothing I could have done.
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - Altea Ego
I have great faith in NCAP * ratings having had a 5* car wiped out and walked away with all limbs and head in tact.
However, I do agree that the rear aspect is seriously neglected by NCAP testing. I have no idea how well the back of the Touran will stand up to a heavy shunt, or how well passengers in row 3 would stand up. I suspect not well, there is not much between them and the rear of the vehicle.

> come to rest level with me on the hard shoulder

Dont worry about them, its those that come to rest 4 cars in front of you that would have been a problem.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
S-Max and C4 Picasso: who's tried both? - Mike H
Saab decided not make a 7-seat version of the 9-5 estate because of the safety implications for those in a third row at the very back, whether forward facing or rearward (e.g. Volvo).