Audi A4 CV joint - Dieselhead135
About 6 months ago my 00 reg A4 Tdi developed a slight cracking/clicking noise around the front of the car. Over time the noise got more noticeable. It is only noticeable when turning right at low speed on sharp turns such as car park ramps, going around small roundabouts or turning right from stationary (No trace of noise when turning left) I previously had a Passat with similar trouble which was sucessfully identified as a worn CV joint..

I had the passenger side (Outer) CV joint replaced on the A4 at the weekend.... unfortunately, I still have the problem! .... could the inner CV joint be the problem?, could the new part be defective? ...... any suggestions ?
Audi A4 CV joint - dieselnut
Had a similar fault on my sons Passat. Was due to wear in the lower ball joint which is forged in one piece with the arm. The arms are about £45 each for pattern parts.
Thanks Dieselnut
Audi A4 CV joint - adverse camber
the a4 front suspension is a collection of failing bushes and balljoint bolted together.
watch out because a lot of pattern parts last no time at all.
audi have had recalls for some of the arms/joints so you could ask your dealer.

if you replace vagparts do a kit of all the arms and track rod ends (genuine) for about 400.
Audi A4 CV joint - Hamsafar
Is it a click...click....click in sympathy with speed when you have steering lock applied? as opposed to general clicks and knocks?
If so, that is usually outer CV joints, the inners hardly ever go, I was told.
Did they replace the CV, of fob you off with a new boot and grease?
Yes, the clicking noise increases with acceleration and it is apparent only when steering lock applied. I had a 97 Passat previously with the typical front suspension problem which was evident driving in a straight line as a series of clicks and knocks, particularily on poor / uneven road surfaces.

It's definitely a new CV joint installed by a local trustworthy, mechanic, but it's a pattern part rather than a genuine VAG part ....perhaps this is the problem? Is there a chance this could be a part poorly re-conditioned ?

I also heard the same about the inner joints as there is less range of movement.
Thanks AC, will do a check with dealer regarding possible recall