The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - craig-pd130
Has anyone driven the new 407 / 607 with the twin-turbo 2.2 diesel?

My company car is due for replacement in the next few months, and I'd be interested in any driving impressions, as the engine's coming to the new Mondeo
when it hits the UK later this year.

Currently have a Passat PD130 with 6-speed box, which has been great, I'm very fond of the motor's punch, performance and 50+mpg on a run.

I don't like the "new" Passat's looks so that's out of the running, and I've also tried the Accord and 3-series. Not tried the Avensis yet.

thanks, Craig
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - cheddar
No but planning to, however I have noticed that Peugeots quote a lower torque output than for the current 2.2 Mondeo / X-Type, I wonder if it will vary when fitted to a Ford? Nevertheless it will be intersting to drive. Having driven the Avensis D-Cat 175 I was disapointed in it's lack of torque below 2000rpm, I reckon the TDi 130 would feel more punchy below 2000 however the Avensis is more refined than any 4cyl VAG engine.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Westpig
Is the 2.2 twin turbo?

The 2.7 one (as in Jag S type) is twin turbo, but i didn't realise the 2.2 was to be as well
Yes, it's a joint PSA / Ford 4-pot motor already in the 407 / 607.

Two identical-size turbos, one is by-passed until about 2500rpm then it chimes in to give more puff at the top end.

I've read a couple of "first impression" type tests which rate it very highly (peak torque at 1750rpm, appara) but seen no performance figures as yet.

@Cheddar, thanks, I read your impressions of the Avensis, found them very useful. I must have a go in a VAG PD 170-engined car, although the road-test figures I've seen for the new Passat (AutoExpress) are actually **slower** than for a PD140-engined Passat.

That's the problem with the old PD motor, its gruff but grunty :-)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - boxsterboy
I tested a Golf 170 with the DSG and was very impressed. Apart from the ride, which was way too firm (it was GT trim).
I've read a couple of "first impression" type tests which rate
it very highly (peak torque at 1750rpm, appara) but seen no
performance figures as yet.
@Cheddar, thanks, I read your impressions of the Avensis, found them
very useful. I must have a go in a VAG
PD 170-engined car, although the road-test figures I've seen for the
new Passat (AutoExpress) are actually **slower** than for a PD140-engined Passat.

The twin turbo 2.2 is quoted by Peugeot as 370nm torque at 1500rpm which is certainly quite useful, the Ford/Jag 2.2 is 400nm at 1800rpm though is pulling strongly from below 1500, the Avensis is quoted as 400nm at 2000rpm though lacks a bit of puff below 2000, I have heard the same said about the VAG 170 compared to the 140.
Also just found details on a new 2.0 dCi motor now in the Laguna GT175, it's 175bhp and 265lb-ft at 1,750rpm. Low emissions too, 164g/km.

FleetNewsNet tested it here and liked it:

www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk/news/view_article.asp?page_...e

Pity it's in the Laguna, I tested one when they launched the "new" shape in 2002, nice car but hated the interior

(Link removed because the engine is reviewd on this site so no need to go elsewhere. HJ)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Xileno {P}
2005 facelift model has a different and far better quality interior.

Could be some bargains on runout models, new Laguna due this year which will be 'in the top three for product and service quality....' (Which? 2006/07)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Quinny100
Some interesting technical information about this engine: www.psa-peugeot-citroen.com/document/presse_dossie...f - Page 13 onwards.

Some interesting features:
- Piezoelectric injectors, as used by VAG on their latest 170 engine
- Bosch injection system
- Honeywell Turbos
- Balancer shafts to reduce vibration
- Belt driven, but timing belt designed to last the life of the engine
- 20000 miles oil change interval
- 400Nm torque from 1750RPM
- Maintenance free Particulate Filter - PSA will use a fuel additive based system, Ford will use a catalyst based system.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Mad Maxy
Peugeot seats have played havoc with my back in the past... Give me VW or BM any day.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Quinny100
Peugeot seats have played havoc with my back in the past...
Give me VW or BM any day.

You're not supposed to sit on the engine ;)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - colinh
Also being used in the Freelander 2, but with single turbo
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - local yokel
"- Belt driven, but timing belt designed to last the life of the engine" which could mean anything! How many will get to 300k?
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - rtj70
"Belt driven, but timing belt designed to last the life of the engine"

So if the belt goes the engine will fail in some way. But the belt will have lasted the life of the engine :-)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - JH
Like the Russian watch guaranteed to last a lifetime. When the main spring breaks it slashes your wrist. :-)

JH
>> - 400Nm torque from 1750RPM
-

Peugeot quote 370nm at 1500rpm in the 407.
Interesting that Quinny's article also mentions a single turbo though variable vane version with similar power and torque figures, this is fitted to the new Freelander though in a lower state of tune, I wonder whether Ford will use the single turbo variable vane version in all of their applications, perhaps it suits their preferred catalytic partical filter system better.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Imagos
I don't like the "new" Passat's looks so that's out of the running>>>

To dismiss the Passat for this reason is.. well a strange decison!
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I don't like the "new" Passat's looks so that's out of
the running>>>
To dismiss the Passat for this reason is.. well a strange
decison!

Not if you don't like the way the Passat looks! :)
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - DP
I couldn't buy a car that I didn't like (or at least tolerate) the look of.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - rtj70
Agree but look, comfort and ergonomics of inside just as important to me than outside. My next car might be the new Mondeo or S-MAX.
I have heard that Ford will kit the Mondeo with two versions of the 2.2 twin-turbo, one giving 170bhp and a tweaked one giving 195bhp (presumably in an ST variant or similar) but that's just a rumour from another car forum.
The new Ford / Pug 2.2 twin turbo diesel - Micky
So, people have purchased Passats for visual appearance. VAG will be pleased (and surprised).