New 330D - couple of questions - Jono_99
Well, having sold the Porsche 968 last October very quickly (wasn't sane with three kids, and am doing more and more motorway miles, which are a 'waste' in such a nice car), I finally got around to replacing it last week. I bought a 330D SE from Cargiant in their New Year Sale. It is a 53 reg, with 55k miles, and in the 100 or so miles I have done thus far, all appears well.

Couple of questions

PDC - It has the sensors on the back of the car, but no sound is forthcoming when I get anywhere close to objects as I reverse. Can this be turned off, and if so, is it a trip to a dealer to get it turned back on (Or does it simply not have it installed - I am certain that it was part of the spec!)

Nokia car kit - it has a full Nokia car kit installed, and buttons on the steering wheel to control calls. Having tried a a Nokia 6230 and 6233, my assumption is that it is for a 6230. Are there adaptors that exist to convert the cradle? Or should I source a new cradle.....

Centre rear seat belt - this is only a lap belt. On the few occasions the car is used as family transport, it would be appealing to have 3 x 3point belts. Anyone any views on the feasibility of such a modification?

Finally - anyone know of a decent E46 forum? It may be that specifics are best handed somewhere else, but could not find anywhere obvious!

Thanks in advance - happy to bore for ages on how good I think the car is....

Cheers

Jono
New 330D - couple of questions - Blue {P}
You could try www.bmwland.co.uk they seemed reasonable when I visited whilst looking to purchase my E46.

I was suprised to see a centre lap belt in my V plate example so I'm stunned that a 53 reg has one as well, even my 53 reg Focus had a proper belt!

Blue
New 330D - couple of questions - tanvir
Even my N reg 214i has a 3-point rear centre belt !
**chuckle**
New 330D - couple of questions - Aprilia
Yes, I too am astonished that a 53 3-series has only a lap belt. Have you looked hard !! (LOL!). Seems most odd.
There is a company called 'seat belt systems' or 'safety belt systems' or similar that will convert to 3-point for you (they also sell belts etc). They are in Hounslow or Enfield, somewhere around London anyway. They have a website so try Google.
New 330D - couple of questions - jacks
Only the first forum is UK, BMWland is not too bad and I've had some specific technical/maintainance questions answered (for my E46/petrol) on their 3 series board. But - for my tastes - the forum is a bit too "boyracer" for me (ie) a lot posts along the lines of .."......where can I get the biggest alloys? .." & "...where can I get my car chipped"

www.bmwland.co.uk/

www.bmwworld.com/models/e46.htm

www.bimmerwerkz.com/

bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46-lounge/

regards,

Jacks

New 330D - couple of questions - jacks
also

My E46 3 series (although an early model) only has a centre lap belt but I'm not aware it's changed since.
New 330D - couple of questions - CJay{P}
PDC - It has the sensors on the back of the
car, but no sound is forthcoming when I get anywhere close
to objects as I reverse. Can this be turned off,

No, you cannot turn it off.
Centre rear seat belt - this is only a lap belt.

I am afraid, that is how it is.
Finally - anyone know of a decent E46 forum? It
may be that specifics are best handed somewhere else, but could
not find anywhere obvious!

BMWland is the best of the lot.

New 330D - couple of questions - Pugugly {P}
If the PDC isn't working for any reason it should bleep when you first fire up (from what I remember from the E46's excellently written handbook). It's not switchable. I admit that I never looked at the centre belt in my 3 Series. Is the car under warranty ?
New 330D - couple of questions - Pugugly {P}
Thanks in advance - happy to bore for ages on how good I think the car is....

Feel free to bore us. It is a cracking car by anyone's standard. Lovely engine that.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts

PDC is working - I had thought it wasn't as I had never got close enough to check (doh!) - my expectations had been set by my colleagues Passat, in which the PDC goes off the entire time the vehicle is going backwards, and goes off constantly when within about a metre of anything. As good as useless. Version in 3-series is more worthwhile (now I know it works)

Lap-belt - yup, BMW dealership confirmed that it was only ever a lap-belt (though the new 3-series has 3x3 pointers). Stupid thing is that the rear bench is quite wide (not as wide as the mondeo, but perfectly OK for three kids.

Aprilla's Enfield company exists, but cannot find the website - will post up in due course

And the car - oozes torque, comfortable (tramlines a bit on 17" rims - could not contemplate anything larger!). Black with black leather (fab), no wood, just brush metal (looks really classy), and sufficient engagement after the Porker to make every journey a bit of fun...

Thanks again

Jon
This is the company - looks like just the ticket

Jon

www.auto-safe.co.uk/main.htm
New 330D - couple of questions - PhilDS
I have an 05 plate E46 Estate. Three point in the centre. Shoulder belt comes out of the top of the seat rather than the roof as in some cars. I also have a centre armrest.
Where is your phone cradle? Is it under the front armrest (BMW) or attached to the dashboard (aftermarket)? If it's aftermarket you will need to replace the cradle as Nokia have stopped being generic. For a 6233 you'll need Nokia CR-56. 6230 requires Nokia MBC-15S. This would be simple except that the aerial lead is built into the cradle so you will need to remove dash panels to get it out.. The phone connector is generic though and will fit any Pop Port Nokia phone. The alternative will be to convert the kit to Bluetooth. You remove the cradle and unplug it from the control box. The bluetooth lead then plugs into the control box.
If it's a BMW kit then you can get a replacement holder tinyurl.com/y4fgzu .