C6 - machika
I have just checked the latest prices for a C6 on drivethedeal.com and the cheapest model, the 2.2 HDI, is now available for under £25K, which is less than some dealerships are asking for used models.
C6 - Screwloose

Another heavy bomber from a French maker then; wonder when they'll get the message?

Their big luxury cars must be the Gallic equivalent of "vanity publishing;" there's no way that they can recoup the development costs.
C6 - DavidHM
I have just checked the latest prices for a 5-Series on drivethedeal.com and the cheapest model, the 520d SE, is now available for under £24K, which is less than some dealerships are asking for used models.

I'm not quite sure what this says about either car to be perfectly honest.
C6 - Peter S
lol! As a 5 series (touring) driver, I like the look of the C6 very much indeed. I'd also noticed that DTD were still offering more than 10% off 5's - doesn't bode too well for residuals on BMWs either...

Peter
C6 - mrnikko
The C6 is a hell of alot of car for this sort of money.
Sadly like most big french barges they will be totally ignored by our brainwashed silver german car buying nation. Yes they will depreciate like a stone but so what driving one will far more exclusive than your beemer,audi or merc. Also on depreciation ask the owner of the average seven series how much it worth after three years i think they too depreciate like stones.
C6 - Avant
So nobody except a Citroen fanatic buys a C6 new.... So there's then a shortage of used ones in 2-3 years' time.... So scarcity pushes the price of used ones up again....So big Citroens start holding their value better....???

There's something wrong with my logic but I can't see what.

Maybe there are enough Citroen UK executives and dealer principals, and company car buyers who are remote from their corporate finances, who will still keep the supply up. When I had company cars we could have any make we liked except Citroen and Fiat for thesse reasons.
C6 - zm
So nobody except a Citroen fanatic buys a C6 new.... So
there's then a shortage of used ones in 2-3 years' time....
So scarcity pushes the price of used ones up again....So big
Citroens start holding their value better....???
There's something wrong with my logic but I can't see what.

You could very well be right on this, as I can see this car developing quite a following on the used market. Much as I really like the German cars, I would gladly have a C6
C6 - grafen
Why don't people just buy a car to enjoy, rather than fretting about depreciation...
C6 - machika
It is a classy looking car and I thought that at £25k, the price was not unreasonable. I really can't see the point of dealers trying to get more for them than a new one would cost. The demand for them can't be very high.

I really like the car and with the new 2.2 HDI engine it has decent performance too, as well as reasonable economy. I don't have £25k to spare but if there was one around in a couple of years for around £12, I might be tempted.
C6 - eek
you'll have to race me for it.

My mid life crisis will be solved by purchasing the first decent 407 diesel coupe or C6 that hits 12k or so (well it would be solved by a 2 seater but thats out of the question so a car with toys will have to do).

Early 2009 is when I reckon it'll be doable.
C6 - Big Bad Dave
Nice one Eek, go for the C6, I'll have it off you in 2010 when it's worth 3k
C6 - IanJohnson
I even saw one of these abut 10 days ago - in Reims!
C6 - zm
I even saw one of these abut 10 days ago -
in Reims!

I even saw one of these about 10 days ago too - in Macclesfield!
C6 - boxsterboy
I'm not sure the manual only 2.2 HDI will suit this cruiser as well as the V6 HDI auto.

Either car is a tempting proposition though.
C6 - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Nice one Eek, go for the C6, I'll have it off you in 2010 when it's worth 3k

And I'll have it off you BBD, in 2013 when it's worth 1.5K...
C6 - Collos25
One of the design engineers who worked on the C6 was telling me that they will never show a profit on it their primary purpose was to get the President back in a Citroen which the have achieved.It had a design time of over 7 years and is or according to him one of the best engineeered cars on the road .Interesting fact the design headquarters are just outside Paris and are shared with Peugeot but the two teams do not even speak to each other.
C6 - ForumNeedsModerating
I had a look over a C6 in the local Citroen delaership (..I was considering a C5 as a replacement for current car)
& it has, as reported by others, a vitually Teutonic build quality & a quirky high quality cabin.
Was surprised however, to see 18inch (admittedley attractive) alloys - Citroen falling prey to fashion I thought & out of
sync with the presumed raison d'etre of limousine comfort & Gallic chic. The entry level 17inch'ers
on 225/55 (giving nearly 124mm sidewall depth) look far more appropriate, but the interesting Exclusive
spec comes only with the 18inch variety, shod with 245/45's - so less 'frontline' bump absorption
& more tramlinig , all things being equal - shame, put me off.

I was told that a business leasing cost could start from IIRC, ~£499pm (base C6, 12-15K , no maint.)
for the 2.7 - since reduced, I believe to ~£299(?) for the base 2.2hdi - not really much more than
I 'spend' in depreciation yearly - so on that level, tempting.

What surprised me, is that the dealer didn't actually seem too keen to to sell or lease one! Perhaps
because of the necessary re-training/spares stocking required for maybe 1 or 2 sales (or he just
thought I was a tyre-kicker out for a test drive!) made it more hassle than revenue earner
C6 - Vincent de Marco
>>The entry level 17inch'ers on 225/55 (giving nearly 124mm sidewall depth) look far more appropriate, but the >>interesting Exclusive spec comes only with the 18inch variety, shod with 245/45's - so less 'frontline' bump >>absorption & more tramlinig , all things being equal - shame, put me off.

Don't be scared of those 18". Ever witnessed Polish roads ? Even here, it absolutely flies over any given pothole, bump - you name it. This car is just amazing, though I've been told by an experienced Citroen technician he just wouldn't buy one with his own money. The suspension itself is so complicated that... maybe in France, where just about every workshop knows how do deals with all those liquids inside.

- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
C6 - Big Bad Dave
I haven't seen one in Poland yet VdeM although our magazine has tested it at least twice. I hope it sells well here, I don't see why it shouldn't, there are plenty of 607s in our car park.

I love it, I really do.
C6 - Xileno {P}
I hope it succeeds, a long overdue breath of fresh air into the executive car market dominated by dreary BMW's, Audi's and the like.

It is a car for people who don't care what others think. The rebel at a party is always more interesting.
C6 - mike hannon
>What surprised me, is that the dealer didn't actually seem too keen to to sell or lease one! Perhaps
because of the necessary re-training/spares stocking required for maybe 1 or 2 sales (or he just
thought I was a tyre-kicker out for a test drive!) made it more hassle than revenue earner <

From what I remember of dealers and previous big Citroens he was probably afraid that one day you'd ask him to take it back...
C6 - nutty_nissan
Drove one of these at the London motor show. Love the unique design features, but steering was vague (worse than the worst of Jap cars). Bump absorption and heads up display were two of the best things. Drove over speed bump at 30mph, and it's as if you went over a tiny stone.
C6 - happytorque
I drove a C6 2.7 HDI in June last year and i can say its a superb car in every respect. Build quality is excellent and it rides like a limo. But it also handles very well too.
If i could get a second hand one for about £15k i would.
I have also driven a 6 month old 5 series BMW many times.
Trust me, the Citroen is a nicer car in every respect.
C6 - SjB {P}
Dashboard apart, which I dislike, the first Citroen since the DS that I've really liked the looks of.
That rear window is the work of genius.
Would much like to take one for a drive, especially the 2.7 HDI.
C6 - Vincent de Marco
Build quality is excellent and it rides like a limo.

Sure it does, but personally I wish the above mentioned built quality was better. It's waaay ahead of C5 or any other Citroen for that matter, but still... Plus some other stuff, like:

www.fotosik.pl/showFullSize.php?id=c43e077cff598e9d

www.fotosik.pl/showFullSize.php?id=8be693f6470f081b

www.fotosik.pl/showFullSize.php?id=53d6363d1fab08b0

www.fotosik.pl/showFullSize.php?id=84210c0209bee732

- - - - - - -
C6 - PhilW
Oy, they've nicked the stalks out of my Berlingo!!
Still fancy a C6 though!
--
Phil
C6 - madf
I fancy one as welll sub £5k.

Oh well wait for 2010...
madf
C6 - Mad Maxy
Saw one in Thame the other week. Black. Gorgeous.
C6 - boxsterboy
Nice personal plate though. If you're Polish.
C6 - Vincent de Marco
Nah, it's not mine.
Made it on CorelDRAW & printed to cover the owner's original plates. BTW: The "Zabojad" means "he who eats frogs". Made it on purpose :)
- - - - - - -
C6 - artful dodger {P}
>>I don't have £25k to spare but if there was one around in a couple of years for around £12, I might be tempted.

I agree that depreciation will be a bit steep - but almost 100% in a couple of years is huge! I think £12 would be a good buy - even less than scap value so I hope no one notices.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
C6 - machika
I agree that depreciation will be a bit steep - but
almost 100% in a couple of years is huge! I think
£12 would be a good buy - even less than scap
value so I hope no one notices.

I think that would be around 50% depreciation, not 100%.
C6 - machika
I think that would be around 50% depreciation, not 100%.

I now see what you mean, having not noticed that I missed the K of the end off what I intended to type, i.e £12K
C6 - machika
I now see what you mean, having not noticed that I
missed the K of the end off what I intended to
type, i.e £12K

Can't get the of and off in the right order either, lol.
C6 - bignick
Biggest problem I suspect will be that limited sales will mean that the dealer network will seldom see one and the aftermarket guys will never see them so servicing is always going to be at dealer rates (£80 per hour in Reading - plus VAT!!)

Lovely car though but I do feel Citroen missed a trick in not including the C4 steering wheel set up but apparently the C6 was designed first.

Also for an executive saloon the rear headroom is a bit lacking - I'm 6'4 and my head brushed the rooflining when I tried the back seat.

A lovely motor though and I agree with everyone else that a 2-3 yr old one at £15-17 k will be a bargain.

C6 - boxsterboy
But it does share a fair bit with the C5 (not just the centre console!) and other PSA cars. And Fords on the V6 HDI

But judging by queue for a used one here, the prices may not be that soft!
C6 - adverse camber
If they did an estate....
C6 - boxsterboy
Tsk tsk. You mean Safari
C6 - JH
I hate to mention it chaps but this is Peugot Citroen, who is being castigated as being the spawn of the Devil for closing Ryton in another thread.
JH
C6 - zm
Lovely car though but I do feel Citroen missed a trick
in not including the C4 steering wheel set up but apparently
the C6 was designed first.

It's coming I beleave at face-lift time, when the interior will apparently be changed slightly.