Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - Keith Corless
In October, some of you may recall I raised the question concerning repairs/replacement of V6 (1997) engine which had got corrosion on the block between the head gasket and the block. After alot of anguish I decided to have a Rover replacement (with some allowance from Rover), reassured by the main Rover distributor that any earlier problems with the V6 were now resolved. This was at 59K miles. After (perhaps unnecessary) running in over 5K miles) it has now developed a clatter/rattle coming from the upper engine/cylinder heard area. It's not obvious when starting cold, first thing in the morning but gradually gets noiser. It is less evident when pulling away. It is horribly out of tune and has lost its power.
The distributor tells me that it sounds as if there is a 'screw' rattling, and he has recommended that I take it in as soon as possible.
Obviously, I am not driving it but in the meantime (since the earliest they can look at it is well after Easter), I thought I would check if any of you have had similar experience with the V6.
My concern is that I had done about 1000 miles whilst the noise was not obvious, and it might have developed into a more serious problem. (Originally, I thought it might have just been some vibration rattle).
I expect the work to be done under warranty of the new engine (it was also serviced during the intervening period), but, I would like to pre-armed with as much information as there is available before I have to start the inevitable round of negotiations.
Thanks in antiucipation,
Keith
Re: Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - David W
Keith,

I've asked David Lacey if he can pop in to give your query a look, he may be best able to say. Also I hope he can nail the query below about the K-series stretch bolts while he's here.

David
Re: Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - Dave N
What's happened to Dave Lacey these days?
Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Hi all!
Been busy here and there...doing 12hr days at work etc etc never been busier!

Keith, the KV6 engine is a strong unit in the ZS/ZT & 75 models we have today; it just suffered reliability problems in its early days in the 800, which gave it a bad name. The problems it suffered in the 800 were usually catastrophic, requiring major repairs. The cylinder head gasket was the weak point; the engine had a nasty habit of mixing its oil & coolant. If you were lucky and the cylinder liners were within spec, the head gaskets could be replaced...this is no mean feat, I can tell you!

Your replacement engine should carry a 12 month or 12000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) and it can be repaired at ANY MG Rover dealer providing there is a fault.

The KV6 engine we know nowadays in the MG ZS/75 & ZT is a different beast; I have many examples that have covered in excess of 100K with no problems whatsoever. The KV6 today looks similar externally, but the design is quite different on the inside, which has improved the reliability of the engine no end.

Dave N - glad to see I've been missed here....I've been busy developing an MG-Rover based website with somebody...no points for guessing who Dr Dave is on the forums :-)
For anybody who is interested, check out www.mg-rover.org
Re: Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - Honest John
Thanks, David. But please could you clarify that point about the stretch bolts in 4 cylinder K series? Do they need their torque periodically re-checking? I always understood they did, but will correct car by car breakdown if I'm wrong.

HJ
Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - David Lacey
HJ - there is NO provision for cylinder head bolt re-torquing on the service schedule on the excellent K series engine; this is the whole point of stretch bolts [as John rightly says]

I'll fax you a service sheet if required!! :-)

When we replace a head gasket, the job is done and no re-torquing etc is required afterwards.
Re: Rover Sterling V6 Engine Problems - kev fergie
So, you guys rate these steaming piles of dung do you?

Fair enough. each to their own.

Having been let down big time by three rovers now (800,new shape 216iS and 25) Im never going there again!