Tyres - Oldsinjun

Thought I should share my experience with you.

After receiving an MOT "early warning" on my two front tyres I asked Blackcircles for a quote which was £85.13 each fitted, total cost.

As this required a bit of a journey to the nearest fitting centre I thought I would ask my local Quick Fit Centre which is just around the corner. Same make and spec., total price fitted was £113. I said that I had been quoted £85.13 to which the response was "OK we can do that for £80".

Well done Quickfit.

Morale: Shop around !
Tyres - adverse camber
yes. Well done for attempting to overcharge by £30.

Well done blackcircles for having a decent price up front.
Tyres - Kingpin
Indeed. I find Kwik Fit most expensive but if they can slash their quote and still probably make something on the deal then you wonder how they get away with the regular high prices. The internet suppliers are very competitive so better to get some quotes from them to use as a benchmark. They must also be making some profit - makes you wonder how much the actual trade cost of the tyres are.
Tyres - nortones2
I've seen Vredestein Sportrac 3 tyres sold via the 'net at around £40 each, but I'd have to risk dealing with a proxy for a german company, as well as internet fraud risk. Local suppliers are asking up to £94 fitted, and even knocking off £15 to cover all sundries, this makes the mark up huge. One local, independent, shop has quoted £220 for all four corners, all in.
Tyres - boxsterboy
I would have used blackcircles on principle. I hate it when companies try and overcharge you (as Kwikfit always seem to do). They don't deserve your business.

I always ask for the best price, full and final, and that's it.
Tyres - quizman
I would not have bought from Kwikfit if they had quoted me so much. I have been looking around for a price on 4 Pirelli P 7's, 205/60/15. Kwikfit had them on offer for £71 all in, not a bad price, ATS were £ 85, but an independent in Derby quoted £ 67 for the P7's and £64 for Conti premium 2's.
I shall be getting the tyres from this firm, I have been very satisfied with P 7's but I am wondering whether to try the Conti's. Has anyone had any experience of these tyres please?
Tyres - turbo11
I recently had 4 Michelin Primacy HP's fitted.My local Kwik-fit matched the price I was quoted by costco which suprised me.They did a good job,although I did have to stop one of their operatives from getting in my vehicle while he was covered in grease.
Tyres - quizman
I recently had 4 Michelin Primacy HP's fitted.My local Kwik-fit matched
the price I was quoted by costco which suprised me.They did
a good job,although I did have to stop one of their
operatives from getting in my vehicle while he was covered in
grease.

I would buy Michelin HP's, but they don't do them in my size.
It's just like when I go shopping. for clothes!
Tyres - nortones2
Ditto: Michelin only do HP in 16 diameter and possibly above. Can't get any data about the Pilot Primacy, on whether they have changed compound, as according to Auto Express (OK, but I know of nothing better) they are lagging behind in wet grip etc. Vredestein are said to top the lot, in the size I need. The Michelin site is not very good nor open about its products, but then none of them say a great deal about their expensive products, other than blurb. Hence trying to get an independent view.
Tyres - MichaelR
Same thing. Rang up, asked for a quote for 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. £670.

Explained I'd been quoted £450 elsewhere.

Suddenly the price was £440. And they got my money.
Tyres - LeePower
Pilot Primacy is the old original tyre in the Primacy range & once again Auto Express showed a bias against Michelin in a tyre test.

The new Primacy HP ( they dropped the Pilot part of the name, Pilot is only for the sports range of tyres now ) is the second generation in the family.

Pilot Exalto PE2 is also worth a look if you cant fit the Primacy HP on your rims.
Tyres - TDi Man
Hi all!

I have bought tyres over the internet from both blackcircles and mytyres.co.uk. These two companies seem to be in close competition and can quote for home-delivery (requiring the sourcing of a fitter by onself) or can arrange for a local fitting at an appointed workshop.

Most recently I found mytyres.co.uk more competitive for tyres (often at least £20 cheaper per corner than local retail quotes) and availed of links to German test reports (the online translations were very good)). I note the concern above re online purchases but have had good experience to date.

I have discovered a local sole-trading fitter who is quieter and (I feel) more careful than the tyre-fitting franchises. He also installs new valves per fit. He offers a very good service and charges ~£8 per tyre (balanced etc).

Happy motoring!

TDi Man
Tyres - Group B
The last three times I have had tyres fitted, local independant tyre fitters have been cheaper than the online ones. I now look on mytyres.co.uk to decide on the tyres I want, then see if local places are cheaper (I ask for quotes for fitted inc. valve/ balance/ VAT/ disposal; I have not had to say "well such-and-such can do them cheaper").
The internet tyre companies must set their prices to be competitive on a national average level. I assume my local places are cheaper than the national average; local meaning where I work in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. The last place I used, Wingerworth Tyres of Chesterfield, also said they would reduce the cost of a full laser alignment check if I had new tyres fitted.

;o)
Tyres - R75
Another Mytyres fan here, could have got the tyres I had last at the same price at a fast fit place, but would have had a 20 mile round trip and taken about 1.5 hrs out of my day - mytyres fit on site so i stayed at home watching the tv, much better way to have tyres fitted if you ask me - will be using them again later this month for another couple ;o)
Tyres - IanJohnson
When I had a puncture in May I was told that the HP was the replacement for the Pilot Premacy. However in KwikFit on Saturday (as the one they fitted Tuesday is going down) they had Pilot Premacies with date code 4806!