Daewoo Matiz Nightmare Update - graham woods
Hi there every-one. Well, i have just got the car back from the garage this evening, the leak in the engine was a split hose that connected from the engine to the heater matrix, hence my slight loss of coolant, and the strange putty like odour (antifreeze) A right sod of a job to get at and replace they said, and i am sure it was. Secondly,with regards to the water entering the drivers side floor when it rained, they said they had soaked all over the windscreen area, and no water came in. How-ever, when they opened the drivers door, the seal at the top of the door, about the centre top had droplets of water on the inside, and are confident that it is dripping in from here striaght to the floor, when it is parked up and raining hard. The seal looks ok, anyway, they have bent the door, ever so slightly to make a better seal at the top of it where it is coming in.

1. What would one suggest to make the seal better.It does look fine.
2. What could i use to clean the rear of the engine hoses with, as they are all stained with brown coolant from a leak from the previous owner. I have a power washer.
. So sorry to be so long winded. A BIG thank-you to you all, Happier graham.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - Aprilia
Don't go pressure washing your engine unless you want more greif. Bowl of slightly soapy water and a cloth, or a spray of cockpit shine on a rag is all you need to clean the hose - don't be too fussy.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - graham woods
Hi once again aprilia, the problem is that there is a lot , and i mean a lot of brown staining all over the place at the rear of the engine and everything is so tightly packed that you cannot get to a lot of it by hand. The garage said if i cover the coil, and dissi cap etc, before-hand i could use my power wash on it at the back of the engine to remove the dirt. it is really messy. What do you think ? cheers, graham.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - Aprilia
I never pressure wash an engine (from above or below) because it can force moisture into connectors and components. If I get a really mucky problem then a normal hose at modest pressure is what I use, with a bit of detergent if necessary. Not a believer in pressure washers except for cleaning slabs and agricultural machinery. A fan nozzle is OK for cleaning under the car, but I don't use a narrow jet. Others may care to differ....
Cheers aprilia, so if i use JUST my hose-pipe, which is very low pressure down at my works, with some fairy liquid or similar, do you think i will be ok. cheers, graham.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - mjm
I have used a garden plant sprayer(hand pump pressurised type) to direct cleaning fluid to where its wanted in a controlled manner. You can add whatever cleaning fluid you think you need, then rinse off in the same way, using rags if necessary.
I agree with Aprilia, I would never use a pressure washer on a car. I once test drove a BX 16v which had been "thoroughly cleaned, sir". It went for about 1 mile before stopping with drowned out electrics. I walked away!
Hi there mjm, thanks for the reply, Sounds like a good idea to me. would you know if i could mix it with some-thing like gunk engine cleaner to remove the mess ? Thanks, graham.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - henry k
....., the problem is that there is a lot , and i mean a lot of brown staining all over the place at the rear of the engine and everything is so tightly packed that you cannot get to a lot of it by hand.

>>.....if i cover the coil, and dissi cap etc, before-hand

Cover electrical connectors etc with cling film first , get some cheap goggles and keep your mouth shut.

>>...... wash the back of the engine to remove the dirt. it is really messy.
What do you think ?

I would use a hand sprayer with a little detergent in it.
and a high tech device called a bottle brush.
e.g. www.gordonbrush.com/bottle-brush.htm
The long handled stiffer ones are quite usefull. They also keep you from being caught in the "backspray"

I have one of these brushes and IIRC I got it from Halfords / Motor World but I would expect any local motor factor to stock them.

An old soft dustpan type brush might also help but again watch out for getting soap in your eyes.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - Micky
Close the bonnet and go for a drive.

Only joking! Each to their own etc.

A car that is being washed and polished is not in my way as I hurtle towards the next corner at the speed-limit-minus-1-mph. So that's good.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - Micky
Don't wash anything in the engine bay. If it's dirty then close the bonnet. Voila! It can't be seen!
hi micky, i know it cannot be seen. but it is a real mess. and i know its there and prefer to remove it if poss. Thanks again, graham.
DAEWOO MATIZ NIGHTMARE UPDATE - mjm
Graham, I have used Gunk a couple of times and found it to be ineffective and smelly. The smell seems to linger for ages. You are trying to remove water stains. I would be tempted to try some car wash shampoo, a bit stronger mix than normal washing, in conjunction with a bottle brush. Follow with a good rinse. I also wouldn't try to achieve a showroom finish, either.
A sincere thanks for all your replys and advice, thanks again, Graham.