Y2000VW 1.6SE Golf Mk IV NVH at 2,750rpm - Birdman
Between 2,500 and 3,000rpm there is an intrusive noise, like a loudly whirring fan, in the cabin corresponding to 50 - 55mph in fifth gear. I can reproduce it with the (manual) gearbox in neutral at the same revs, when it simply sounds like a quietly whirring fan (smooth not harsh), but when returned into fifth gear the noise becomes prominent again. After 3,000rpm/60mph it merges into the cabin ambient noise.

I have had the car for only a month and the noise was present from the first. I guess it to be caused by fan or auxiliary resonance combined with poor damping/insulation when the drivetrain is engaged. Or could it be a sign of mechanical problems yet to come? For instance, I notice a slight jerk of the gearshift between power on/power off when in gear, which might not be normal (or perhaps I've been driving quiet automatics for too long). Is this "character" or something else?
Thanks.
Y2000VW 1.6SE Golf Mk IV NVH at 2,750rpm - sine
The car shouldn't really be making such a noise and VW usually have good sound insulation although if by quiet automatic you mean Lexus then yes i'd expect the VW to be noiser.

Its difficult without hearing the noise, but this sort of noise can be caused by something resonating and possibilities could include: exhaust silencers or catalyst, heat shielding & probably others as well.

It could also be a failing engine mount which would transmit engine vibrations into the car and may also account for the gearstick moving about. Some gearstick movement is to be expected though.

I expect someone with better advice will post soon....
Y2000VW 1.6SE Golf Mk IV NVH at 2,750rpm - Peter D
Does it do it when stationary at those revs, does it do it at those revs in third, does it quiten as soon as you press the clutch, and if you just apply a little pressue to the clutch when the noise is worse, does it change the noise at all. Is the noise high pitched and have have you checked under the cat. Go to a fast fit outfit and get it up on the ramps. to check heat sheilds cat secondary cover and pipework. D Was this a privte sale or a grage sale and is there any formal warrantee. Regards Peter
Peter D - Stationery, the engine sounds fine. Depressing the clutch in third causes no change. The noise is not high pitched or metallic. It is more like a worn silencer or possible a resonance from a poorly-hung exhaust system. The car has done 55,000 miles, is dealer maintained and under a VW warranty.

It also spent it's previous life near the seaside, in Eastbourne. Could this have some bearing? It seems early days for the exhaust to need replacing.
Y2000VW 1.6SE Golf Mk IV NVH at 2,750rpm - Peter D
Best to take it back under warrantee and see if they can find it. This also records the fault so if it slips out of warrantee the actual fault will still be covered. Regards Peter
Y2000VW 1.6SE Golf Mk IV NVH at 2,750rpm - Pugugly {P}
Could it be a wheel bearing ?
PugUgly - it is definitely connected with engine revs eg the noise drops when the revs drop while maintaining road speed.

Peter D - I shall have a word with the dealer and make sure they record the problem.

Thanks for all your inputs.