Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Nsar
I know that the etiquette of car wash queues are much more interesting but this is an interesting question with a bit more meat on the bones.

For what it's worth I don't think I would sue if I was him, I find it too morally dubious. Motoring is a risky endeavour and bad things happen.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6215351.stm
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Big Vern
Difficult one.

If the kid had not of died I would be inclined to agree, however I can not even begin to imagine what this guy has to deal with on a day to day basis. I know if it was me, regardless that the court cleared me there would always be a nagging personal doubt if I could have prevented the kids death. That would be a horrible thing to live with.

Also at the end of the day he is not claiming from the family, that fund is not just for chavs who get beaten up by their so called mates.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - zm
I know that the etiquette of car wash queues are much
more interesting but this is an interesting question with a bit
more meat on the bones.
For what it's worth I don't think I would sue if
I was him, I find it too morally dubious. Motoring is
a risky endeavour and bad things happen.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6215351.stm
Not difficult at all imo. If you as a motorist were badly hurt in a car accident as a result of another motorists dangerous driving, you would still be claiming compensation, whether the other person (who's fault the accident was) had died or not. I personally think the biker is right to go for this, I hope he succeeds. It is sad that a child has died, but it is his own fault. His behaviour was just as abhorrent as those who throw objects from mway bridges onto traffic below. No doubt the do-gooders will disagree of course....
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Zippy123
>>>His behaviour was just as abhorrent as those who throw objects from mway bridges onto traffic below. No doubt the do-gooders will disagree of course....

Horrible situation for all involved, kids often do not think about the consequences of their actions though.

I think the biker was the victim here and it could have been so much worse: What if the van driver saw the child and swerved off the road, putting his and his passengers (if any) life at risk.

Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Stuartli
I'm with the motorcyclist in this instance, sad though the death is for the boy's family and friends.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - rtj70
I think a tough call but I can see why he should be allowed to claim compensation. He had some pretty bad injuries and could have been killed himself. He was not to blame but has suffered physically and mentally. One of the posters is right to say he might question himself for the rest of his life along the lines "could I have avoided the boy" and this too is part of how he has suffered. Why should he be put through this because of some silly game of chicken.

Money won't help him get over this but I think he's entitled to something.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - local yokel
I'm with the biker. The boy knew he was taking a risk, though perhaps not how big it was.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Xileno {P}
Me too.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Simon
I'm with the biker too.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - retgwte
to be honest i think we should start locking people up for the worst cases of jay walking

same with cyclists

the number of people who think they can walk in front of you and force an emergency stop is outrageous

as are the militant anti car cyclists who think they have god given rights to jump red lights

more dead stupid pedestrians is good for us all, will cut down on future accidents

and if the motor cyclist can get some money from his estate/insurance/criminal injuires board then good luck to him
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Bromptonaut
more dead stupid pedestrians is good for us all, will cut
down on future accidents

In London something like 50% of dead stupid cyclists have been in the blind spots (mostly nearside) of an HGV. Not much sign of the victim stock being reduced!
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Robin Reliant
I'm with the biker in this case too.

It is accepted in this day and age that you are entitled to compensation when you receive injuries through another persons negligence, and despite the rather emotional dilema that this case may cause people, why should he not be compensated for his painful misfortune?

Suffering in silence will not bring the unfortunate child back, and if the blame had been the other way round the poor biker could now be facing a prison sentence of up to fourteen years.
--
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Bill Payer
He not *suing* anyone - he's making a claim to the CICA.

I would imagine he could sue the boy's parents though - their household insurance (if they've got any) should cover them under liability to third parties. There might be an issue if the negigent act was held to be deliberate.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - fossyant
Just think what the biker has been through - like could I have missed the child etc. - even though he could not. It must be a living nightmare, I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I'd killed a child through playing chicken.... I really feel for the biker.

We have a lot of kids, locally, who run out in front of cars, usually deliberately. Just a couple of weeks ago, I went out training on my pedal bike (no I'm not a red light jumper - I am a proper cyclist), when upon descending a local main road at the speed limit, a group of teenage girls started to cross - all could see me and were watching my rapid approach - just didn't care - I ended up close to the opposite pavement just to avoid the group - fortunately no oncoming traffic. On my return, just half a mile further up the hill, another set of kids run out, not in front of me, but in front of a Landrover Discovery. The driver slammed on, but the kids thought it a laugh....

What the hell are they all thinking..............
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - madf
Darwin sorts it out - eventually.
madf
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - jase1
Darwin sorts it out - eventually.
madf

Yup.

I'm surprised that there is any sympathy whatsoever shown towards the 12-year-old. What he did was reprehensible, and I don't care how young he was -- he was a little scumbag.

I am personally of the view that an idiot like this is fair game for target practice should drivers be so inclined, but how tragic that it had to be a bike that hit him.

Jase - you're last para has raised a few complaints, but as you have clearly stated it is your personal view I'm going to leave it alone. However, your "target practice" quote in my opinion places you not so very far away from the young lad in the scumbag stakes.

And on that point. you are also making a character judgement which might be totally wrong. I know I took risks - maybe not quite *that* risky - when I was young, but I would never have considered myself a scumbag..... Also I still take risks, some of which probably put other people at some degree of risk too. I haven't grown up to be a scumbag either. smokie, BR Moderator
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - LeePower
You can bet that the young lads friends have learnt a very valuable lesson.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - cockle {P}
We have a lot of kids, locally, who run out in
front of cars, usually deliberately.

another set of kids run out, not in front of me,
but in front of a Landrover Discovery. The driver slammed
on, but the kids thought it a laugh....
What the hell are they all thinking..............

Our local 'darlings' don't even bother to run out in front of you, they just amble into and across the road while looking straight at you, almost daring you to run into them or stop and say something. Most of these children are from the local upper secondary school, so year 9 and above, 14+ in other words, so they are definitely not ignorant of roads, it is blatantly deliberate.

The school is on one side of an A road dual carriageway with a 40 limit, in what was green belt with all the houses on the other side of the road, wonderful bit of planning that, the local council then built a footbridge over the road almost straight to the school's front gate so they didn't need to cross the road, did the kids use it?
No, of course not, they continued to cross the busy road right on a roundabout exit/entry.

To try and make the kids go over the bridge the council then put half a mile of fence down the middle of the central reservation to make crossing the road more difficult, do the kids now use the bridge?
No, they would rather cross one carriageway, scale a 4 foot high fence and then cross the other carriageway.

The headteacher took to standing at the roadside every morning to make sure the children use the bridge, do they now use the bridge?
No, they now walk half a mile to the other end of the fence, cross the dual carriageway and walk half a mile back down the grass verge to avoid the headteacher rather than use the bridge!

The school is now campaigning for the limit to be reduced to 30 as the risk to the children from 'dangerous, speeding motorists' is putting the children at risk on this 'dangerous, busy, fast road'. Thus far the council, to their credit, have resisted, pointing out that they have expended large sums of council taxpayers' money to separate the children from the risk of any needless contact with traffic on this stretch of road to avoid any risk to the children. However, should some unfortunate driver, perhaps a stranger to the area, or perhaps not quite aware one morning have the misfortune to come off the roundabout just as a child ambles across the road listening to his/her iPod or on the phone then the clamour will become deafening.

That poor person will end up feeling just like the motorcyclist from the original story but will probably end up being prosecuted and hung out to dry by the PC brigade so I feel it is about time that the balance was restored slightly to demonstrate that all road users have a responsibility to each other to ensure safety on the roads not just those of us who happen to be in control of a powered vehicle.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Garethj
Our local 'darlings' don't even bother to run out in front of you, they just amble into and across the road while
looking straight at you, almost daring you to run into them or stop and say something.

I'm glad it's not only me that's noticed this!

Sadly, I don't think that this accident will change any kids' behaviour
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Bromptonaut
He not *suing* anyone - he's making a claim to the
CICA.
I would imagine he could sue the boy's parents though -
their household insurance (if they've got any) should cover them under
liability to third parties.

Thanks BP, was about to make same point. I'd conclude that his insurers have advised him he has little chance of success against the child's estate or parents and that the statutory compensation scheme for criminal injury is his last resort. Will be an interesting test case.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - AllTorque
I can't comment on the rights & wrongs of whether he should claim., not knowing all the facts. I would consider that if he has suffered a loss he is entitled to persue a case, and let the legal people decide, which after all is what they are there to do.

I do have first-hand experience though of a personal injury claim resulting from a motor accident. Forget about the £1K settlement for a bang up the boot - it's nothing like that whatsoever. It took best part of 7 years to resolve, and every conceivable obcstacle was put in our way by the defending insurance company and their agents.This included personal surveilance (4 days being followed and video'd), referrals to tame experts who sailed so close to the wind they caught themselves out in the end. It is stressful, messy, illogical, invasive, and an all-consuming procedure where the 'victim's' interests are the last to be considered along the way (won the case eventually).
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - cheddar
I am with the biker as long as it is the gov criminal comp scheme that is paying and the young lad is not posthumously slated as a criminal to the detriment of his family, and that his family are not penalised or deemed to be responsible in anyway so as to facilitate the pay out.
>the young lad is not posthumously slated as a criminal to the detriment of his family>>

The biker, as has clearly been made known, was blameless in this case. His life has been torn apart through someone else's stupidity - why should he suffer in silence?

If the biker had been at fault I'm sure that you and many others would have been amongst the first to express the view that the young lad should receive compensation if he had survived the incident.
Injured yes, but has his life been torn apart?

I don't understand how playing chicken is an act of violence. Surely the whole point of the game is that you give yourself and anorther a fright but escape harm.

Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - tr7v8
I am with the biker as long as it is the
gov criminal comp scheme that is paying and the young lad
is not posthumously slated as a criminal to the detriment of
his family, and that his family are not penalised or deemed
to be responsible in anyway so as to facilitate the pay
out.

Why not if he'd been a driver or a rider he'd be on a charge of Careless, does that not make him a criminal?
Also hitting the family hard in the pocket just might make some of these horrors parents realise that THEY are responsible for their little angels actions.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - local yokel
>I don't understand how playing chicken is an act of violence. Surely the whole point of the game is that you give yourself and another a fright but escape harm.

You only win at chicken if you both survive unharmed.

The lad lost........
As far as I am concerned we should be allowed to shoot idiots walking in front of cars on purpose trying to cause an accident, for the good of society, and you should get a special commendation from the queen if you kill a cyclist who has just driven through a red light

Lets face it the criminal justice joke of a system encourages them in the belief its all the nasty car drivers fault if anything happens

Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - nortones2
So long as the same applies to car drivers who jump the lights and travel through junctions when pedestrians have the lights in their favour. But the snag is that bikes rarely kill, whereas cars undoubtedlty do.
But losing doesn't make it an act of violence. Someone throwing a brick off a bridge which kills someone is clearly undertaking a violent act even if he genuinely only meant to scare someone, the culprit could clearly see there was a real risk of serious danger to someone else but none to himself. This is very different unless you can prove that the kid set out to injure or kill himself.

I don't condone the kid's actions, it was stupid and reckless and I wouldn't wish the biker's fate on anyone, but how many of us have never done something stupid knowing it was stupid and then realised afterwards just how dangerous it was and how it was only by chance that someone wasn't hurt.

I nearly got myself and my mates killed as a kid when we walked onto a frozen lake and the ice broke all around us. We were egging each other on and we nearly paid the price. Was I being violent towards my friends in egging them on? Were they being violent to me in egging me on?
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - TheGrocer
Yes he should sue as INMHO a crime was comitted in the same way as if this little toe rag had placed a railway sleeper across a busy comuter line. I do believe however it should not be the CICB who should pay (read taxpayer) but the litlle toadies parants. Oh an by the way its probably societies fault that they were playing chicken and nothing the parents could have possibly done to control it GGGRRRR!

--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Pugugly {P}
He's not suing, he's making a claim under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. Tells you more here.

www.criminal-injuries.co.uk/cica.html

Question to the "blame the parents" brigade. Do you know what your kid is doing 24/7 ?
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - TheGrocer
Mr P I am not a member of any brigade just believe we should understand that a mix of social issues cause kids to think its OK to play chicken with traffic on a busy road. One of those social issues IMHO is that parents should be held accountable for the input, time, direction, availability and dedication they provide their kids. You may not be with them 24/7 but you have a responsibility to guide them towards certain actions being acceptable and certain actions not being acceptable.With 3 kids two of whom are teenagers it has worked for me so far and it has taken a lot of hard work and effort..perhaps Ive been lucky but I find the harder I try the luckier I get.

I appreciate this guy is not suing anyone but my point is that perhaps he should!

Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - jc2
A woman across the road from me was suprised to be sued by a cyclist who she had walked out in front of from the pavement but most people have cover for this as part of their home insurance.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - tyro
I do believe however it should not be the CICB who should pay (read
taxpayer) but the "child's" parents.

Well, if that did happen (it won't of course) it would create a very interesting legal precedent. I am no lawyer, but it seems that there are two legal issues here:
1) parents being legally accountable for the actions of their children
2) pedestrians being legally accountable for accidents they cause

My understanding (and I would welcome comment from those who know more about law than I do) is that parents have, in general, very limited legal responsibility for the actions of their children, and that pedestrians are rarely held to be legally accountable for the accidents they cause.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - colino
While I feel sorry for the cyclist, who through no fault of himself, is the injured party, I think he is ill advised to commence this claim. Surely his legal team are flying a kite and the CICA will refuse to entertain the claim at the first hurdle, proving that the claimant is the victim of a crime of violence.

I hope he recovers from all the effects of this horrific accident, but that taxpayers funds are not paid out to "compensate" for what has happened.
what nonsense

stepping in front of a moving motorcycle with intent to cause death is attempted murder just as much as if you try and shoot the rider

killing a motorcyclist in this way with less intent is manslaughter

just because its not the FASHION to police jay walkers or prosecute them for their more outrageous actions does not mean they are not regularly breaking the law

just because the govt routinely blame drivers and speeding for road casualties does not change the FACT that a large proportion of pedestrians being drunk when involved in a RTA is very much something to do with it

Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - deepwith
I do wonder if the cyclist is perhaps also considering this move because he only had third party insurance so was not only injured physically and mentally, but also lost his bike and helmet. He will also find future insurance premiums loaded as at present ( I believe but am willing to be corrected) this probably counts as an 'own fault" accident - rather as in a tree falling on your vehicle?
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Simon
No doubt that this incident will be recorded in the official statistics as another motor vehicle related death on that stretch of road, and will in turn lead to a speed camera or another form of traffic calming etc in the future. Even though the bike was nowhere near speeding and the fact that it was the 'pedestrians' stupidity that led to the accident and ultimately his own death.

And no doubt the anti biker lobby will just see it as another statistic that bikes are dangerous and that another death has occured as the result of a motorcycle.

I really don't blame the biker for putting a claim in, whether he was fully comp or third party it is irrelevant, why should he end up out of pocket because of someone elses actions? And even if he is fully comp, his insurance will never cover every single cost and expense that he has lost so to speak. You always end up losing out in some way and he deserves compensation for the injuries he suffered.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Rats
Simon

I couldn't have put it better myself.

I think the biker is absolutely right in making a claim and hope he gets it. I would personally also be tempted to look at a personal claim from the parents, as someone earlier said, th eparents need to take some responsibility for their offspring.
An elderly friend of the family who rode his bike off the pavement into the path of a bus approaching a bus stop is being sued by the bus driver.

At the moment the reason is not apparent as the only loss known is that of the damaged bicycle.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - yorkiebar
Difficult one !

I think I support the biker with his claim but not sure I could do it if it was me as the rider.

But how long before we have video camera recording (or similar) mounted in our vehicles to use as proof in cases such as this?

Side issue, possibly a business idea for some one so suited to such technolgy etc. Just remember me when you are making your millions !
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Big Bad Dave
I received compensation from the CICB (as it was called back then) twenty years ago after a run-in with some rather charming marines in a Manchester night club.

As I recall, one of the conditions of a successful claim is that I had to pursue these men as far as possible through the courts. But when the case was over no further contact was recquired with them and as far as I know they and their families were completely unaware that I had made a claim at all. I wouldn't be worried about causing offence or upsetting the bereaved if I were him, I'd be concentrating on getting well and receiving what I was entitled to.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - mare
But how long before we have video camera recording (or similar)
mounted in our vehicles to use as proof in cases such
as this?

I think that this is a brillant idea, unfortunately i was derided on here when i suggested it a couple of years ago.

I think that the idea might gain acceptability as a little black box that records the minute up to an "event" which removes most (not all) of the lying, twisting of the truth and supposition that currently frustrates a speedy resolution to an insurance claim and even possibly in this case makes the coroner's job easier. The camera could even record the lighting status and speed etc of the vehicle that it's mounted in.

Of course, some people will view it as an invasion of their privacy.
Biker Sues For Injuries in Death Crash - Pugugly {P}
Some US Insurance companies are/were trialing this. There was some footage on the box over Christmas.