Winter Warnings - Chicken Vindaloo
Can I add the road through Thetford Forest to the list, based on recent experience!
Winter Warnings - Falkirk Bairn
NFU Mutual found deer are by far the most expensive wild
animal to hit as high-speed accidents with deer can cause very severe
damage which can sometimes result in cars being 'written off'.

Not to mention the driver & front seat passenger losing their lives.
Winter Warnings - Dave N
Not surprising they're the worse animal to hit - could it be because they're the largest?

It's worse in the country - no really? Funny that, you don't get many herds of deer in the cities then.

It's worse at night - maybe something to do with it being dark so they can't be seen easily.

Use main beam - see above.

But just remember, if you hit one and it isn't dead, the RSPA won't be interested, the police will be too busy elsewhere, the vet's won't want to turn out 'cos there's no-one to pay their bill, which leaves it down to people like me that are available 24/7 to dispatch them. I only have to fight tooth and nail to retain a firearm to offer this service against a public perception of ever increasing gun crime. But recent DEFRA rules state that carcasses shouldn't be left or buried, so they have to be taken away by a registered outfit for incineration (at a cost). The hunt would normally come and collect large road kill for free, but since Mr Blair and his chums upset them they're not so keen.
Winter Warnings - PhilW
"but since Mr Blair and his chums upset them they're not so keen."

Wonder if this is also the reason for the large number of dead foxes on the roadsides here in the E Midlands? Both son and daughter have hit one recently and caused considerable damage to front bumpers (not to mention the fox) Luckily, neither of them had time to try and swerve out of the way of the foxes (which I think most of us would do instinctively rather than in sympathy with the fox) otherwise more serious accident could have happened. Friend also hit a deer on the A1 recently and although his car was repaired he said he thought it would be a write-off the damage was so bad- they are, as mentioned above, big and heavy.
--
Phil
Winter Warnings - Lud
A badger, more invisible than a fox, but bigger and heavier, and just as likely to cross the road in a generally untutored manner, can make quite a big dent in yr front panel too.
Winter Warnings - Muggy
I must add that there are a large number of deer to the immediate south of Epsom, Surrey, specifically around the A24 towards Ashtead in the area surrounding Wells Road [ just below Epsom General Hospital ] and also the Chalk Lane area. Never actually seen one from the A24 itself, but I have seen several in the local roads either side very near to the A24.
Winter Warnings - El Hacko
also on Epsom Downs, Muggy - these delightful but so vulnerable creatures often leap across from the RAC Club over traffic busy Langley Vale Road to get to the downs and relative safety

EH
Winter Warnings - Bromptonaut
And if you hit a badger don't be tempted to see if it's OK. They have lots of teeth and very strong jaws; loss of arm a real possibility.
Winter Warnings - Bagpuss
I was driving along Interstate 4 west of Orlando about 3 weeks ago. I saw something in the 2nd lane and moved across to the 3rd lane to avoid it. As I drove past I realised it was a turtle - and quite a large one. Wonder if it ever made it across - the interstate is 4 lanes wide in each direction.
Winter Warnings - mike hannon
A year ago here in SW France I was heading out at about 8.30 pm when, 150 yards from my house, I came across a herd (?) of ten wild boar - three adults, seven teenagers - trotting along in indian file beside the road. Not having a camera in the car, I just reversed back the way I came and shut the drive gates just in case.
French amateur 'hunting' being the scarcely-regulated bloodbath that it is (I grew up in Somerset and understand hunting by the way), I guess they were only a short-term traffic hazard as they've all been eaten by now...
Winter Warnings - henry k
I guess they were only a short-term traffic hazard as they've all been eaten by now...

Warning!
This item is not to everyone's taste.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6207553.stm
Winter Warnings - jag
don't know about deer, years ago i hit a roe with a mk2 golf at about 50mph. deer was knocked 40yds along road. damage to golf? i broken headlamp. a pheasant i hit later on in life with same car resulted in smashed grille, a lot more expensive! jag.
Winter Warnings - LeePower
Have hit a fox before in a 406, I had a choice, go in the ditch to the left, hit the oncoming truck on the right or bye bye mr fox.

Pushed a fog light of its mounts but apart from the stink & mess it sprayed up the drivers side of the car it didnt do any damage.

Jetwashed the car straight away ( it really really smelt bad ) & then clipped the foglight back in correctly.

Winter Warnings - Dave N
don't know about deer, years ago i hit a roe >>

Do you mean a roe deer, or was it cod's roe?
Winter Warnings - jag
dave n, in reply to your fishy question it was a roe deer as opposed to a red deer. jag.
Winter Warnings - P3t3r
You can usually guess when deers might be around, you can always expect this sort of thing in any rural area. Something else to watch out for on these roads are people walking their horses. If you drive being able to stop within the space you can see to be clear then there is not much else you can do really.

A dear got a bit close to me last week, he ran straight out of a bush and was very fast. Other than doing 5mph I don't think it's possible for me to be 100% certain that I will always miss them.
Winter Warnings - Nsar
Remember there are extra ones out tonight.
But at least one of them will have its fog light on ;-)
Winter Warnings - Martin Devon
Hit a deer on a motorbike then!
Winter Warnings - Morgie
There was an incident a few weeks back on the A35 in Dorset between Christchurch and Highcliffe when a motorist was killed. The car in front of the victim hit a deer which was catapulted over the top of that car and crashed through the windscreen of his following behind. He was only visiting the area with his family, poor chap.
The car in front of the victim hit a deer which was catapulted over the top of that car and crashed through
the windscreen of his following behind.

A really freak accident and an amazing escape for the rest of the family.
tinyurl.com/yc3p5q
Winter Warnings - tyro
"It was hit by a Saab and sliced in two."

A Saab sliced a deer in two? That is really quite amazing. Can a car really slice a deer in two?
Winter Warnings - mike hannon
I daresay a 'real' Saab could cope with an elk - I have my doubts about GM ones though.
Winter Warnings - Leif
I am surprised rabbits don't figure in the original list.

i would have thought that Muntjac, a miniature deer, were a common road hazard. They are about the size of a medium sized dog.

Probably the main hazard occurs when someone swerves to avoid a cute little fluffy animal, and drives into a lamp post, or another vehicle.
Winter Warnings - Mapmaker
& why have collisions with deer been increasing? Because the national deer population has rocketed. So not a surprise, really. It always astonishes me that more poaching doesn?t happen; people will pay good money for venison which is available for free.

Dave N. I bet you always have a freezer full of venison? the main reason most people so ?selflessly? operate a deer disposal service ? been there, done that. If they eventually manage to take away your firearm, may I suggest one of Mr Cash?s finest so-called ?humane? killers. No licence needed. Gralloch it straight away to feed the foxes, and take it home to hang.

Badgers, on the other hand. Well, killing badgers is illegal, with a very strong likelihood of a prison sentence. But badgers are somewhat unpopular with farmers owing to their propensity for spreading TB, and are often shot when they ?shouldn?t? be. The only problem is, what to do with the body to dispose of the evidence. Easy, pop it on the road, and put some big 4x4 tyre marks on it (motoring link), and it becomes road kill. And we haven?t even d
Anybody know what happened to those small animal repellent things you clipped on front bumper & would make a high pitched noise humans couldn't hear but animals could & didn't like so they run away?
Winter Warnings - tyro
Anybody know what happened to those small animal repellent things you
clipped on front bumper & would make a high pitched noise
humans couldn't hear but animals could & didn't like so they
run away?

You mean deer whistles? They are still available. Some people are certain that they work, while other people have their doubts. I spoke to someone from the Deer Commission, and he was among the doubters.

And Mapmaker is absolutely right. Deer numbers rising, and poaching has virtually died out. In these parts, deer used to stick to the hills, and if a stag started hanging around human habitations, he'd disappear pretty quickly. But today, they wonder around fearlessly, and no one touches them. The old poachers are all gone. Probably a sign of the growing prosperity of our country.

For more on that subject, see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=47...5 :-)
Winter Warnings - tyro
Probably a sign of the growing prosperity of our country. :-)

Either that, or a sign of the the general decline of community spirit and training in useful practical skills in our country

For more on that subject, see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=47...5
Winter Warnings - DP
One of the salesmen at my last company wrote off his 2 day old Mondeo by hitting a deer in the New Forest. They put the photo of the car up on the noticeboard as a warning - it was almost unrecognisable. He was okay thankfully, apart from a few cuts and bruises.

I couldn't believe what a mess it made of the car. It looked like he'd hit an oncoming car head on.

Cheers
DP
Winter Warnings - Mapmaker
>>And Mapmaker is absolutely right. Deer numbers rising, and poaching has virtually died out.

There's a bloke in Kent who's supposed to be 'getting' me a Roe deer. I turned down his pheasants, as I can generally get legal pheasants more cheaply than poached ones...
There's a bloke in Kent who's supposed to be 'getting' me a Roe deer.

>>
An alternative for the menu?
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6222619.stm
Winter Warnings - ForumNeedsModerating
>> Anybody know what happened to those small animal repellent things you
clipped on front bumper & would make a high pitched noise
humans couldn't hear but animals could & didn't like so they
run away?

Interesting re the above, the local general store in my village has just installed a similar device to - and I kid you not - deter the local hoodies from gathering around the shop these dark winter evenings. Apparently, adults generally lose the upper range of hearing, so only the young scrotes are affected. i asked one of them the other evening whether he could hear it & was it a deterrent etc - his answer: "Whaat? - so apparently didn't bother them.

Shame, I thought I'd spotted a gap in the market for anti- vandal/car thief accessories.

The ones I see years ago worked through the passing airflow flowing over them.

Winter Warnings - Alebear
Interestingly, SAABs were indeed designed to be elk proof. This is because the MD of SAAB was driving his car and was killed in such a collision. The roof pillars of the 900 were beefed up as a direct result so they say.
Not sure about GM Saabs either, though in fairness, the 9-5 did well in NCAP tests before everyone got wise about how to pass them without necessarily making their cars safer in real world crashes.
Winter Warnings - deepwith
What speed would your Saab need to be going to split a stag (and they are big beasties in the New Forest) in two?