Physical Car Security Device - Clouddz
Hi,

My old corsa was nearly nicked but I managed to chase them off and now I'm looking for a car lock as I need to keep the car for at least another year.

I was looking at the market and found it hard to find reviews on the current models.
Are the Autolok 2000 plus or EXS the best steering locks on the market? because they claim to be Thatcham cat 3 and sold secure approved and can resist over 15 mins of aggressive attack and were updated in 2005.

They seem to cover half the wheel and maybe easier to fit than the full Disclocks?

Any opinions on these please?

Cheers
Physical Car Security Device - csgmart
The disclock isn't difficult to fit.

I have no experience of those devices that cover half the steering wheel but I always get the feeling that they aren't as secure as one that covers the complete wheel.

Having said that if your car had either device a theif probably would walk on to the next car that didn't have one, unless he was particularly after your car in which case he would probably over come whatever was put in there to stop him anyway.

Physical Car Security Device - jc2
Some of these devices can be fitted upside down so that the keyhole points to the floor.It makes it harder to unlock but also makes it virtually impossible to pull out the lock assy. with a slide hammer which is about a 10 sec. job normally.
Physical Car Security Device - nick
I have both a disklock and the sort that cover half the wheel. Both are easy to fit, I would say the disklock is probably the most secure. Note that disklocks are designed to be loose on the wheel so it is difficult to get any leverage on them.
Physical Car Security Device - Hamsafar
It takes 10 seconds to cut a steering wheel with a hacksaw with a new decent blade.
So don't buy one where you imagine it would be easy to remove if the steering wheel rim is simply cut.
Physical Car Security Device - L'escargot
It takes 10 seconds to cut a steering wheel with a
hacksaw with a new decent blade.

Sounds like you've done it at least once! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Physical Car Security Device - Hamsafar
No, it was on TV recently on one of those rubbish digital repeats channels, the rim under the foam and leather is only as thick as a pencil, and this ex-thief got most of these locks off in no time, they mozaiced over some of the things he did.
Physical Car Security Device - Clouddz
Thanks for the replies.

So I guess the problem with the Half covered wheels is that the thief could saw off the exposed semi circle of the rim
and slide the lock around and off the wheel....But surely that sounds too easy?
Physical Car Security Device - L'escargot
My old corsa was nearly nicked but I managed to chase
them off and now I'm
looking for a car lock as I need to keep the
car for at least another year.

What about a wheel clamp? tinyurl.com/yf2pbe
--
L\'escargot.
Physical Car Security Device - Roger Jones
Back in my Vespa days there was no better security measure than removing the spark-plug cap. I nearly caught one of the thieving teenage toe-rags as, unaware of the missing link, he persisted with the kickstart. A padlock through the clutch lever didn't deter an earlier thief, who obviously knew how easy clutchless gear changes were. If you're really fearful of theft, perhaps removing one or more electrical components would let you sleep at night; thieves are unlikely to have spares handy.

These days I put my trust in immobilisers, but perhaps I shouldn't. On the other hand, I've never had a car stolen during the 37 years I've been driving (in 1972 on a Manchester back-street, there was one break-in).

Afterthought: notice on the dashboard saying "Apologies -- car immobile with dead engine and will be moved as soon as possible".
Physical Car Security Device - bell boy
As roger jones says an electrical deterant is the best way to keep your car.
All corsa's have an electrical fuel pump find the feed cable and splice in a hidden switch,that way even if they do get your steering lock off they wont be going far
Physical Car Security Device - steveo3002
ive seen thieves overcome imobilisers pretty easily with a few pieces of wire

i like the dislock alot and a dummy led on the dash wont hurt either
Physical Car Security Device - SimonM
Got to be the old disclock for me had one for 7 years or so and never had a car nicked.

of course i've just jinxed myself now ;-(
Physical Car Security Device - bell boy
ive seen thieves overcome imobilisers pretty easily with a few pieces
of wire

did you not think to call the police then?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
i will put this again then in simple terms
the power feed to the fuel pump on a corsa b runs down the nearside sill if you remove the plastic kickplate on top of the sill, source which wire you want (i will look for you OP if you arent sure ) and then wire a switch in series to wherever you can get to it while sat in the car or even a 1/4 inch jackplug on a chain to make and break the power then this car wont be stolen unless its towed or low loaded
Physical Car Security Device - henry k

A good visible device may make a scroat walk on.
Alternatives?
NYPD says
www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/dcca/auto.html

www.bajataco.com/zr2steve/hoodlock1.html

www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref25.html

Some different products
simjack.com:8185/

IMO a good but not very visible device, is a hood lock but they do not seem to have been adopted by the UK market but widely available in the USA.
It is an additional bonnet bolt that is operated from a dashboard mounted lock.
An armoured cable goes from the dash lock to the bulkhead.
It also includes a break switch in the lock that can be used to disable an electric circuit of your choice..
Physical Car Security Device - glowplug
My vote's with the disklok. Had one for years now.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Physical Car Security Device - MW
I am a great believer in steering locks for although they can be removed by a pro, so can an immobiliser. The key to a steering lock is the very visual deterant effect. My main problem is the faff of putting the lock on. If this becomes more than a 5 second task, over time it will soon be ignored. My old Eagle Claw though now a bit of an antique has a rachet, and so takes 2 seconds with no key. I put it on every time as it is so easy.
Is there anything better on the market with this key facility?
Physical Car Security Device - Simon
I would go with a physical device such as a steering wheel lock, because its big, obvious and the chances are a potential thief will move onto an easier target. The elctrical trip switch thing is all very well and may stop your car from getting stolen, but it won't stop them trying and that is what does the costly damage.
Physical Car Security Device - Galaxy
In the days when I had my Ford Capri Mark III I bought 3 metres of really heavy galvanised chain and a large Squire padlock.

I fed the chain around the back of the drivers seat and right underneath. When I left the car for anything more than a few minutes I used to wrap the open ends of the chain around the steering wheel and then lock it all together with the padlock which was sited so that it was prominently displayed hanging just below the steering wheel.

Never had any theft problems with that car whatsoever, either the car itself or from the interior. The lock and chain really did look big trouble to a would-be tea leaf! They would just go away and find another car to steal instead. Never damaged the seat or steering wheel, either. Only took about 30 seconds to put on once you got used to doing it.

I still have the lock and chain but don't bother using it on the Mondeo due to it's vastly increased inherent security compared to the Capri, but I could if I wanted to.

Just make sure you don't loose the keys!