Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - Gazza
I have a 53-reg Mondeo Ghia X TDCI 130 (E3) with 113,000 miles. Since I got it at 96k in March, it has been quite smoky when accelerating through the mid-range and it has not been particularly economical either. Is it time to get the engine calibration re-mapped? Does the fuel injection mapping need regular updating?

Ford has not been able to find any fault with it and it passed its first MoT emission fine in September. My fuel consumption is 39.48 mpg (brim-to-brim but the trip computer states 46mpg) with the lowest at 28mpg (driving 2 miles to and from work within the congestion zone in London) and highest at 46mpg (driving up to and touring around Scotland).

I felt the excess smoke and poor economy is due to over-fuelling of the injection system.

Secondly, how would you know you are accessing the over-boost function?

Lastly, as the car is outside the warranty period, I am thinking of getting the engine remapped so the torque curve doesn't tail off quickly after 3,800rpm. With so many companies out there, which ones get your recommendation?

Thanks, Gazza
Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - cheddar
Your fuel economy is on the low side, I have averaged just under 47mpg (calculated) over 112,000 miles in my 2002 Ghia X 130, a sticking / faulty EGR valve could explain poor mpg and excessive smoke. I can easily get well over 50 MPG on a 70mph m/way run.

Have you tried premium fuel such as BP Ultimate.

The ECU has a learning function and I have read that it can be benificial to disconnect the battery to erase the ECU memory, particularly if the car has been subject to a lot of different driving styles. It needs to be disconnected for at least 30mins though dont do it unless you have both the radio code and the handbook to reset the windows / sunroof, the latter might not need doing though best to be prepared.

The over boost function is more a marketing term than a technical description, if it pulls well from 1500rpm and very strongly from 1800 then all should be well in that regard.
Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - Aprilia
If Ford have checked the car over and its also passed its MoT then to be honest it is more than likely perfectly OK. If injector calibration had been lost then you'd know about it - it would be running bad and the glowplug light would be flashing. Under normal circumstances these systems should not need any kind of recalibration or remapping.
If you still have doubts then take it to an independent diesel repair shop of a check over.

The 'overboost' function works by increasing the turbo pressure for a short period of time - IIRC it is something like an increase to 1.2bar for 30 seconds with wide open throttle - it only comes in when the throttle is fully open and is designed to give you some extra kick during an overtake, not under steady-state conditions. I suspect that the power/troque quoted by Ford for this engine is under 'overboost' conditions, which makes it look good on paper - but I'm open to correction on this.

No idea on the 'chipping' aspect.
Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - Sprice
One respected chipping company is upsolute:

www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html
Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - cheddar
I suspect that the power/troque quoted
by Ford for this engine is under 'overboost' conditions, which makes
it look good on paper - but I'm open to correction
on this.

Ford claim 330nm without / 350nm with overboost, it is the 330nm that seems to be most often quoted in the press. FWIW the 2.2 is claimed to be 360 / 400nm.

Note that most 130s actualy produce around 150bhp on the dyno, likewise X-Types with the same engine, see the Superchips chart, link below.

www.superchips.co.uk/curves/mondtdci130-2002on.pdf

Mondeo TDCI fuel inj needs calibration? - andymac1863

just responding to the remapping question --I have a 2002 130 tdci GHIA x and had countless problems with injectors being thrown out of ---ford will recode a injector once and the second time if it throws out the same injector will tell you to change it--- I took mine to a good diesel engineer who informed me that the car has the same injectors as renault and many other cars who dont have a problem--- if one gets thrpwn out of code you should move it to another cylinder and see if it follows it to that cylinder first not just change it at £250 ---my engineer charged me a hr labour and recodes all the injectors at the same time as he has all the codes ---yes all had been thrown out at some point---I TOOK IT TO A SPORTS PERFORMANCE GARAGE WHO REMAPPED IT TO 156 BHP AND I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SINCE IN OVER TWO YEARS IT COST £300 BUT WAS WELL WORTH IT----AND BOY WILL IT GO NOW!!!!!!!