Code readers. Are they any good ? - graham woods
Hi there every-one. I am thinking of buying a cheap code reader for my 1999 dawoo matiz. How do they work, are they any good and usefull to have ? Which one is the best, and which model would work on my matiz. I have no faults on it at the moment, apart from the wet floor saga (see post) Just wondered if they are worth having, also, how does one interpret the codes it gives out ? Thanks in advance for any help, comments, and advice, Cheers, Graham.
Code readers. Are they any good ? - none
I use a Snap on one at work. It was bought mainly for use on Ford and VW vans. And it's more or less gathering dust now. It's fairly sophisticated and displays a lot more than fault codes, the trouble is most of the info displayed is irrelevant to the problem being investigated. We've had problems with overheating or apparently overheating Transits, so far it's always been either water pump failure due to the drive spline rounding off, or sensor failure. The code reader always shows a fault with the sensor or wiring. Ok, it won't diagnose a mechanical fault, but it can mislead you. ( When the vans were being repaired under warranty, several times the main dealer replaced the sensors because that's what the reader told them to do, then ten miles later the same problem cropped up with the same fault code).
Out of curiosity I've checked new vans and disconnected various sensors etc - sometimes the reader gets it right, other times it takes you up the garden path, on the same circuit - but at the other end. Some disconnected engine sensors don't even show up as a fault.
I suppose an experienced user will plug one in and interpret the results accurately, but I'll bet that a lot of his experience has been gained by replacing good parts wrongly coded as being faulty. Having said all that, they are an indispensable workshop tool these days, and if they get it right half the time, it's better than nothing.

Code readers. Are they any good ? - piggy
I have to agree with every word none has said.My car had an intermittent fault which was diagnosed many times as a faulty fuel potentionomer. This was replaced,to no avail,and car was just as bad. Another garage with much more knowledge of my type of car correctly diagnosed problem as a loose connection. So IMHO it depends on the quality of mech.using code reader.
Hi there, (piggy) Thanks so much for your reply. Happy new year to you and your family, graham.
Hi there, (none) Thanks very much for the info. Wishing you a verry happy new year. Cheers, graham.
Code readers. Are they any good ? - glowplug
These comments seem to fit with drivers experience of faults and their dealers inability to fix them. I find the diagnostic doctor in Car Mechanics mag a good read because it often shows how experience is needed to interpret the output of code readers.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Hi there glowplug, many thanks for the info, cheers, graham.