BMW Diesels...which one? - barney100
I'm thinking of changing from my old C class 220d Merc to the equivalent BMW. Which is the one I should look out for -used from a non main dealer.
BMW Diesels...which one? - DavidHM
Budget and priorities?

If it's an original C220d then it'd be an E36 318tds although I imagine you'd want something a little quicker and more modern.
BMW Diesels...which one? - Xileno {P}
Doesn't the 2.0 have a reputation for blowing its turbo?
BMW Diesels...which one? - Mad Maxy
Doesn't the 2.0 have a reputation for blowing its turbo?

I hope not: I'm just about to buy one. But then that's new so I'll have three years' peace of mind first...
BMW Diesels...which one? - Pugugly {P}
The 320 is good, smooth, quiet at speed and very economical. The 330 is even smoother and even quicker, a tad less efficient in the fuel department, but its smoothness makes up for this and the power comes in at all the right places.
BMW Diesels...which one? - a900ss
I have a 2004 BMW 320d Touring with 110k on the clock. I drive very hard and nothing, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. Not even a bulb has blown. All serivce items, oil, filters, tyres, brakes, etc have been replaced. I'd certainly buy a 320d beemer with confidence
BMW Diesels...which one? - Craig_1969
I now regret selling my BMW 530d manual ex plod, the 530d is a brilliant car. I owned a boxster S and the BMW was everything the Boxster was with 3 extra seat, proper boot minus the folding roof obviously. And it even tolerated a bit of veg oil!
BMW Diesels...which one? - Pezzer
I've got the current 2l td in my 1 series (also used in 3 and 5) and it is a terrific lump. Very very strong, quick, quiet on the move . The economy could be a little better and there is a little turbo lag but highly recommended imho !

P
BMW Diesels...which one? - Oz
Blown turbos were mainly in an earlier era, and even then, the best protective measure was to allow the engine to idle for 10-15 seconds before switching off in order to cool the turbo.
My 320d (Y reg / 2001) has done 66K miles, has loads of grunt, and literally hasn't missed a beat. And they've got even better.

Oz (as was)
BMW Diesels...which one? - Pugugly {P}
Got a lift home in an E46 320d BMW tonight. Swift, smooth and surefooted. Someone said on another thread that they were nothing special, but I'd still prefer one to a lot of other cars.