Renault Modus light bulb change - csgmart
As is common with new cars these days there is precious little space in the engine bay to get your hand in to change a light bulb.

Does anyone know how the main bulb on the front of a Renault Modus can be changed without resorting to a trip to the dealers? (££££).

I read on a another forum that the front bumper might have to come off to get the required access? More than happy to do the work myself just wanted to know what the procedure was.

Driver's side bulb if it makes a difference.

Thanks in anticipation.

Top Reply

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - 1stClassAutoparts

Ive just replaced the headlamp bulb on a 2004 modus for a customer, took about 25 mins with a bit of trial and error but id say i could do one in 10 mins flat next time.

1. Remove the 3 screws on the top platic cover under the engine bay below the wipers.

2. Remove the 6 numbered 10 mm bolts on the solid plastic panel which lays over the engine. This gives you access to the back of the headlamp and although a squeeze, you can get your hand in.

3. Remove cover on back of light...it just pulls off. Then to remove the bulb there is a squeeze clip on the back.

4. Change bulb, remembering to not touch the glass, also the cut out on the bulb must be at the top and the squeeze clip at the bottom...Make sure you push the bulb into the connector firmly as if you dont it will not locate properly.

5. Push the bulb in with the connector attatched, locating the bottom of it first, it will clip into place with a little effort.

6. Test, Then pop the cover back on and refir all the gubbins you previously removed!!

I charged my customer £8.99 inc vat, as i fit all the bulbd i sell for free. Never been beaten yet by a car although the Modus did try im glad to say it failed.

If anyone near the CV postcode wants one fitting at £8.99 give me a call on 024 7632 6666

Edited by 1stClassAutoparts on 09/02/2013 at 16:42

All Replies

Renault Modus light bulb change - bell boy
go down the dealer in the morning while the suits are playing golf sneak round the back to the greasy bits and pick a technicians brain for a glass of necter
Renault Modus light bulb change - psi
On the Megane there are "access panels" in the front wheelarches, from which you are supposed to be able to reach up to the bulbs, but reading the Owners Forum the other day, it seemed like ats actually easier to take off the bumper cover.

I'm guessing its just the bumper cover (the plastic bit you can see) that you have to remove on the Modus, and not the actual bumper (a structural bit you can't see until you take the cover off).
Renault Modus light bulb change - Xileno {P}
The official procedure for the Clio 3 is to remove the bumper so I suspect the Modus will be the same.

However there are usually ways around these problems. On the Megane you can replace the offside headlamp from above if you remove the washer bottle first. You still need to go through the access panel to remove the clip though.

If you do try this bulb change yourself, then I would change both bulbs otherwise you may be doing the other side soon...

Good luck, I hope the skin on your knuckles recovers by Christmas :-)
Many thanks to all wh replied. Job wasn't too bad in the end. Worked out how to remove the front bumper/panel enough to unbolt the headlight unit. Easy access once this was done.

Now I know what needs to be done it shoud be easy next time around. Who said modern cars were better........
Renault Modus light bulb change - modusmartyn
6 months down the line I have the same problem. Halfords offered to do the job for £4.99 but it had them stumped. I am not about to pay Renault £30.55, can you give me a few more details please? Thanks.

Modus Martyn
OK, from memory this is how you do it.

1. Remove number plate
2. Open the bonnet - remove the 5 or 6 plastic clips/screws that were covered from the front of the bonnet.
3. Get under the car. There is a pastic tray under the engine - remove the 4 bolts near the back of the tray.
4. Depending on which side the bulb is that needs replacing - undo the plastic wheel arch liner - front portion only - I think it was about 2 screws/bolts
5. You will need a socket with an extension bar for this part - pry back the pastic wheel arch liner enough to get your extension bar and socket on to the bolt that you will see. There are 2 I seem to recall - it's pretty obvious which ones need to be undone.
6. Having undone the bolts the front bumper cover should be lose enough to pull out of the way of the headlight unit. I think there is one more bol you need to remove which holds the light unit in place - just under the front of the light unit.
7. As long as all the bolts etc have been removed the light unit should now be free enough to move forward and allow you to take of the back cover and access the old light bulb.
8. Assembly is the reverse of the procedure above.

It's not as bad as it sounds and with the experience of doing it once before I reckon I could change the next one in about 20 minutes. Just keep taking off the bolts/screws until the front bumper cover is lose enough to move out of the way so you can get to the bolt holding the light unit in place.

HTH
EDIT - step 2 should read "that were covered BY the front of the bonnet."
Renault Modus light bulb change - modusmartyn
Many thanks for this. Have managed to get bulb in from behind but have been unable to screw the retaining bar in place, so will go back and use your directions - much appreciated.
Renault Modus light bulb change - Donald Klopper

Ten years on I followed your instructions and it took me some time, but I succeeded! I replaced the brake pads at the same time. What a silly way to change bulbs. Beyond comprehension. Still due to the various suggestions and guides on this thread, I got it right, and I salute you all.

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - Rightclick

this is a real headache. I have just changed the passenger side bulb this afternoon. It took me about 2 hours by the time I found all the right screws and bolts that needed removed. Here's a summery:

1: locate four 'twist and lift' lock screw along top edge of bumper/ grill just inside bonnet. Twist and remove these being careful they don't break.

2: locate approx 4-5 10mm and 4 8mm bolts on the under side of the bumper and remove (note there are four that hold the engine pan in place that don't need removed)

3: Jack up car and remove wheels for easier access.

4: The wheel arch needs removed - a bit tricky and you may need to replace the black 'popper pegs' . I had to cut two out to allow me to pull/force the wheel arch out. There is one hex screw just inside the arch next to the outer body panel that needs removed too.

5 this will allow access to 3 10mm bolts just up under the panel that hold the bumper panels in place. These need removed.

NOTE: you don't have to remove both sides if it is only one side that you are replacing - the bumper will tilt down and rest on the ground on the side you need access too.

6: when bolts all removed - the front bumper panels will work out with a little effort pulling out from the wheel arch might help. I found it a bit tight pulling out from under lamp unit.

7: Remove 3 fixing bolts around lamp unit (hold on to unit!). A plastic piece will slide out from under the unit 1st. Lift the plastic attachment at the top of the unit connecting to the engine side and carefully lift unit away from the body supports.

8: disconnect the cables connecting to the unit and place the unit down on the front seat ( somewhere soft and safe - don't want to have to replace a broken lamp unit!)

You will now have access to the lamp enclosers - the rotate and remove panels that hide the bulb connections.

Do not touch the glass of the new bulb when replacing as this can cause a hot spot to form and blow the bulb again.

Reassemble by following in the reverse order - EXCEPT when you have the unit relocated and bolted in place - check that all your bulbs are working before replacing all the body work.

Hope this helps lots off you and saves you lots of ££££££

:-)

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - BathBoy
Hi, I had read a few posts on the net and was thinking about leaving it to the garage (although Renault quoted £130!) when people started talking about taking off the bumper!

So, thought I'd give it a go anyway. I didn't know what I was doing and there wasn't much room in there for big hands but I did managed it in just under an hour (although I was only changing the main bulb).

You need a 10mm socket, T20 torx and that's about it, my only real plan was to avoid having to take too much stuff apart. There's about 4 screws and 6 bolts holding down the plastic panels that block access to the engine (these are numbered for bolting back down correctly). I took off the indicator and moved that cable out of the way, struggled briefly to get my hand in to twist and remove the covers on the back of the Head light unit. Finally feeling around with my fingers I felt a small paddle type latch beneath the bulb mount which releases it. then you carefully slide it out, change the bulb, carefully press it back in and put stuff back together.

I hope this helps someone...

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - clockerharvey

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - etoile06
Read your posting with great interest.
I am wondering if it is really something that with the right tools anyone can do? Man or woman, weak or strong!!
Renault quoted me over €100 and I live in France! "mon dieu" I shouted. "but madame that is for two bulbs" They told me that there is no way I could do it and have to have Renault to change. So after that remark I was determind to try to prove them wrong!
I just don't know what a T20 torx is though! Is it a specialized tool?
Any further advice welcomed!!
How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - etoile06

I have managed to do it and took 2 1/2 hours but thats with interuptions for neighbours wondering what the Englishwoman is up to!

Did take wheels off just jacked them up and took two of the plugs off. Managed using the T20 and wiggling around and they seemed to pop out.

Great website and thanks for the previous postings...anyone really can do it!!

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - able1

Autrefois, vous n'aviez jamais entendu le mot torx, maintenant vous pouvez l'utiliser.

La fortune sourit aux audacieux.

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - Collywobbles

Hi Etoile, Hats off to you. I couldnt face it so went to my local Renault garage (in the Vendee) this afternoon and got the job done i.e. both dipping bulbs, for 55Euros - with which I was highly chuffed having seen 100gbp quoted for the job in the UK.

It was quite a performance! It took about 45minutes, but I was only charged for 30.

So more power to the French elbows!

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - dlozuk

I got charged £97.49 to change the lightbulbs in November 2010

Labour: £69 Parts: £13.96 (2 headlight and 2 sidelight) Vat £14.53

TOTAL £97.49

That was still a lot cheaper than Renault wanted but still OUCH!

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - 1stClassAutoparts

Ive just replaced the headlamp bulb on a 2004 modus for a customer, took about 25 mins with a bit of trial and error but id say i could do one in 10 mins flat next time.

1. Remove the 3 screws on the top platic cover under the engine bay below the wipers.

2. Remove the 6 numbered 10 mm bolts on the solid plastic panel which lays over the engine. This gives you access to the back of the headlamp and although a squeeze, you can get your hand in.

3. Remove cover on back of light...it just pulls off. Then to remove the bulb there is a squeeze clip on the back.

4. Change bulb, remembering to not touch the glass, also the cut out on the bulb must be at the top and the squeeze clip at the bottom...Make sure you push the bulb into the connector firmly as if you dont it will not locate properly.

5. Push the bulb in with the connector attatched, locating the bottom of it first, it will clip into place with a little effort.

6. Test, Then pop the cover back on and refir all the gubbins you previously removed!!

I charged my customer £8.99 inc vat, as i fit all the bulbd i sell for free. Never been beaten yet by a car although the Modus did try im glad to say it failed.

If anyone near the CV postcode wants one fitting at £8.99 give me a call on 024 7632 6666

Edited by 1stClassAutoparts on 09/02/2013 at 16:42

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - modusmonkey

after looking and researching the bumper method as every mechanic i have spoken to including AA man had said i had to do ...i opted for the topside attack as mentioned above by 1stclassautoparts .

this was the easiest way and quickest ...although better for small hands (my wife pushed the bulbs into place )..and less screws to remember so thank you sir ! ! you saved me a few quid and the inconvenience of losing the car for a day at the Garage...

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - christo

When travelling abroad, I think you are supposed to be able to change bulbs at the side of the carriageway.................!

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - Collos25

You are supposed to carry spares that is all,there is no law in europe that says you must change it at the road side.

As of 2013 all cars sold in Europe must be made so as the bulbs can be changed by a non mechanically minded person without complications.

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - nigelsmith129

All please note if you have a 2008 model like mine despite having read all the horror stories about changing the bulbs on the model I have 2008 1.1 TCE the bulbs on these later models can be easily reached from the top just changed mine in 5 minutes no tools needed . Hope this helps .

How to Access and Replace Renault Modus Headlight Bulb - William Sharpe

Hi,

I followed the excellent instructions on this thread for changing the dipped beam bulb on my Modus. Got the old bulb out and new one in but I do not know how to insert it properly back into the original position. I fiddled and tried for ages but gave up. The bulb and its casing are sitting pretty nicely and the light works, however, it is not inserted and secured properly in the housing. How on earth do I do it? Many thanks for any help.

Will