passat 2001 engine heating too quick - ipswich208
hi ive just got a passat 1.8 t on a 51 reg and have noticed that the gauge goes up quick when only driving up the road about a mile it does not go past half is this right or may there be something going wrong as this is the first vw we have had there are no warning lights coming up and no sign of oil i nthe water etc any help would be gratefull
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - mss1tw
It's normal, even my VAG 1.9 TDI warms up pretty quickly.
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - Sprice
It could be a characteristic of the car. Another common reason for a car heating quickly is a stuck-closed thermostat (bottom hose never getting hot), but you say the guage doesn't go any higher so don't think you have anythingto worry about!
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - Armitage Shanks {p}
Quick warm up is really a bonus in this weather! I had a Merc which produced useable warm air within 1 mile, although the temp gauge hadn't moved in that time. My 307 takes about 2 miles to produce warm air and I notice that every time, the gauge goes up to 90C, and then drops back to 75/80 as the thermostat opens, presumably.
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - ipswich208
the temp gauge will go up to half but never go above or below half, while car is running is this ok still could this the start of build up of sludge in the engine that ive heard so much about this make of car is there any way that this can be checked out
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - L'escargot
the temp gauge will go up to half but never go
above or below half, while car is running

The purpose of having a thermostat is to keep the coolant temperature substantially constant under normal conditions, so yours is doing exactly what it should. There are conditions under which the temperature may rise above "normal" ~ prolonged idling, sustained high speed, towing, high ambient temperature etc ~ but in general once the coolant has reached "normal" you can expect it to stay there.
--
L\'escargot.
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - Micky
The gauge on some/many modern cars is controlled by the ECU; IIRC, the Ford Duratec engine has an operating range of 80' to 98'. The temp gauge sits just below 1/2 way.
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - John Doe
Impella breaking off the waterpumps are a very common problen on these, check if water is cerculating in the expansion bottle
passat 2001 engine heating too quick - Big John
This is normal! From new my Skoda Octavia (still VAG group) has always warmed up within a mile, the temp gauge moves up to half way and then never moves even on the hottest day driving in Spain.