Dog delight - Marriedman
We have two small dogs (Staffordshire bull terriers), one a bit arthritic. We're looking for a car with a low rear loading sill to make it easy for them to hop in the back.

We intend buying new, and are looking for a small to medium car between 1200 and 11600cc.

So far the only thing we've found to fit the bill is the Mazda 2 which has a rear sill just 18 inches high, six inches lower than many of the alternatives.

Are there others? Suggestions much appreciated..

Dog delight - Stuartli
We used to have a Sheltie - when he got older we just lifted him into the car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Dog delight - NARU
My wife used a Honda Jazz for our athritic GSD - the rear seats fold out of the way to leave an area bigger than many estate cars and the dog gets in through the rear side door - probably around 12 inches. We put a small dog guard between the front seats to keep him in the back - wouldn't recommend this for high speed but fine for nipping to the vet/country park etc.
Dog delight - BazzaBear {P}
Don't know whether it would interest you, but I'm sure I've seen details of a fold-our ramp to allow dogs to enter a car easier. In fact, it might even have been on here. Might allow you to pick the best car for you on other criteria.
Dog delight - teabelly
The fiat stilo weekends have a drop down tailgate so it is easy to get a dog to jump up, they're reasonably low. They'd have more room than they could shake a stick at. Alternatively an old citroen Xantia with their drop down suspension are ideal for arthritic dogs. An estate would probably be best. You could save the rest of the money for repairs to it :-)
teabelly
Dog delight - Baskerville
We intend buying new, and are looking for a small to
medium car between 1200 and 11600cc.

Looking at that second figure, have you considered a vintage Bentley?

Otherwise, Berlingo/Partner, Renault Kangoo, or Fiat Doblo would be ideal. These seem large to look at but are actually about the size of a normal hatchback and are very easy to park thanks to huge mirrors.