Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - ForumNeedsModerating
More specifically, a late (05-54 plate) pre-facelift 'chinese eyes' version.

I would be grateful if any board members could give an opinion on this car, as I'm thinking of getting one. I live in a country area , so competent AWD/chassis & practicality appeal, together with the sparkling performance. I see nothing but good in any review/survey etc. , especially regarding overall quality, sturdiness & longevity (..and I suppose that rather intangible quantity, people's 'affection' for the marque)

The few dealers I've spoken to, all seem geniunely (if you can guage this over the phone) interested & enthusiastic about the brand & more than willing to answer 'technical' questions (..more than the usual dealership car salesperson who seem like they could be selling washing machines , for all their concentration on the process rather than the product)

If I analyse a little too deeply, perhaps there's a whiff of teenage kicks in my choice, but I'm taken by the practicality & rather anodyne blingless appearance coupled with q-car performance.

ta

~woodbines

Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - BobbyG
Woodbines, there are a few on here, Espada etc, who will swear by them. Until they come along, if you do a forum search on the right hand side of the screen, you will be able to read some of the previous discussions on the subject.
By all accounts, a good, solid , reliable and fun car!
cheers BobbyG, I'll do that.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Falkirk Bairn
Trouble is only Subaru Franchised Dealers have them 2nd hand and demand "Top Prices",

Subarus(Foresters, Lagacies,Outbacks) suffer very heavy depreciation according to the magazines - <30% value left after 3 yrs/30K miles - however the prices on the forecourts of 3 yr old cars are much higher than you would expect given their low retained value in the trade price guides.

As far as Subaru garages are concerned there seems to be a consistent high price across their outlets in the UK for 2nd hand cars.
Falkirk Bairn
I noticed that too when doing my price guides recce. i also noticed that AutoTrader searches showed most cars (or the newer ones) were on sale from Subaru dealers, maybe inidicating they have big mark-ups (i.e. buy at guide price , sell at above guide 'Subaru' retail) or that perhaps the guides aren't always accurate, inasmuchas, if only Subaru dealers buy/sell most new/used cars, then they effectivley set the mark. (probably the first reason though!)

cheers
~woodbines

Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - yorkiebar
As much as it hurts !

If the dealers are happy to take trade ins and put high mark up on them, (they must be doing a good deal to perssuade buyers to buy another ) then it means they are highly sought after !

Only 1 real reason for this ! Must be a good car I think ?

Can't remeber ever seeing 1 at auctions; aother good sign !
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Aprilia
They're great cars for 'those that know about them'. The Impreza has a high profile but the rest of the Subaru range is rather overlooked, especially the Legacy, but also the Forester which tends to sit in the shadow of cars like the CRV and RAV4.
Dealers ask crazy prices - but you'll find that their cars sit on the forecourt for months at a time. There are also dealers listing cars on eBay 'classifieds' at stupid prices. I know that Subaru has a strategy to mover 'up market', but I can't see it succeeding because so many consumers see them as a bit oddball (although perhaps less so in country areas).
My suggestion is to locate one or two cars that you're interested in and haggle very hard - £1k+ off the asking price. If they decline to deal then leave your number in case they change their mind. Sooner or later one will 'crack'.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - joc
Just bought one, but an 06 model XT Auto. I was looking for an early 06 demonstrator or pre-registered to save a bit of money, but as already noted, I found the dealer prices a bit rich. I finally was offered a new one (last of the 06's sitting in the showroom gathering dust), at [what I thought was] an excellent discount, bringing it to within £300-400 of a 6mth old 5k mile version. We had to have an auto, and the 06 has the tiptronic box and an extra 25hp over the 05s... So, deal done.
On the car: very swift, auto is longer legged and builds speed relentlessly (less manic than a manual). Q-car of course. No rattles, well damped, lovely to waft along or to press on. Only 1000 miles so far and getting 25mpg overall, which I'll be able to improve upon when we do some longer runs. I love the anonymity of it, Subaru is a kind of anti-brand: only driven by those who know.... It's already growing on me imperceptibly, like slipping on an old pair of shoes(!), I can understand why people keep them for a long time. Wife has reduced mobility, and she finds the Forester is as light and easy to drive as a Honda Jazz, and has for instance light doors (frameless), easy access, light controls etc etc.
On the dealers: once I'd decided to spend my money, I emailed 4 dealers (with the ex-dems I was looking for), showing them my interest. All 4 rang me back the same day, and all were straightforward and easy to deal openly with. The deal I did on the new one was seamless, just a thoroughly pleasant experience end-to-end.
I'm rambling, apologies for my enthusiasm, go and get one.
Joc
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - nick
It is possible to get a good deal from a Subaru dealer, you just need to hit it lucky and be prepared to travel. Have you looked at the used car locator on the Subaru UK website? I've dealt with two dealers, Monty's of Sheffield and Chandlers of Horncastle. Both were excellent. I'd recommend either.
Subaru is what Saab used to be like, wonderfully built and appreciated by a smallish customer base. Once you got one you'll be hooked.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Happy Blue!
Have no experience of a 2.5XT but have just run a 2.0XT auto for two years and my father took it over and now I drive an Outback 3.0Rn. What can i say about my Forester. Very comfortable, easy to access and egress, good to drive, very reliable and thirsty around town with about 28mpg on a quick run. Gripes? None really, other than the trim is slighly low rent compared with others and the boot is not huge, compared to the size of car.

However, for the first time in my driving life, I really was not bothered about getting a new car. I only changed because my father wanted mine, and I got a great deal on my Outback. I usually cause a divorce proceedings to be issued by SWMBO when I think about changing cars because I can never make my mine up. but it was very easy this time, I really liked the Forester and would have happily kept it. I thought about an almost new 2.5XT auto (facelift) but found my Outback was a better deal.

Simple. At present, unless fuel goes to about £1.50 per litre in the next couple of years I cannot think of any other models other than perhaps a few Hyundais or Kia's that I would rather drive.
Many thanks for the reviews & advice, esp. the owner experiences.

I'll progress this next week now with a bit more certainty.

cheers
~woodbines

Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - madf
Friend bought a 2.5 XT auto from a dealer. Been there for 9 months. He saved around £6 from list -new unregistered.. new model due.

That is what I would aim for if buying - and be prepared to travel...
madf
I did something similar when I bought my Spec B Legacy. It was pre-reg 5 months previously in March and I bought it at the end of August just before the 56 reg came out and they needed to shift it so it didn't look 'old'. 10 miles on the clock and I paid over £8k under list.
Forgot to add I travelled over 100 miles to do the deal.
Hi madf

'...He saved around £6 from list -new unregistered.. new model due...'

Now you're talking - any chance he could come over & help me haggle too? ;)

Of course, I understand that as £6K, only teasing. Because of my location (wilds of Wales)
my last 3 cars have been bought over the phone from main dealers with manufacturers or approved
used warranty on, luckily so far, with no problems. In some ways, imho, it's better to get the basic deal done
sight unseen (I always check-up on dealer beforehand in various ways, the interent is extraordinarily useful)
My general technique is: Suss out how keen they are to do a deal, without being too enthusiastic,
give fullest possible details of my trade-in car (provenance, SH, any options, detailed condition , maybe pictures)
ask them to get (if underwriting via 3rd party) their best possible (unsweetened) price , when that's done, talk
about their car in detail , then 'think' about their offer - much easier to be cool away from the salesperson's
home ground - if they ring back , you know their 'sales manager' has sanctioned a better offer (I always
have a bit of a chuckle when they say that, but don't let on course)

So, We'll see next week if I get my dander up when I spot a potential!

cheers
~woodbines

Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Happy Blue!
Sounds like the way I bought my Outback. It seemed to work for me. My car was at least £10k cheaper than list and they gave me a decent p/x against an older Forester.

Whatever, you will not be disappointed by your Forester. I am just surprised how much more sophisticated the Outback is.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - joc
Quite often they seem to find old stock at big discounts. Noticed Hylton's of Shrewsbury offering a 2005 XTn model at £7665 under list at the moment. I paid 4k under list for the current model. I pored through the SMMT trade data, and noticed that 2006 year to date, Subaru have sold 20% fewer vehicles than they did by this time in 2005. Reckon some excellent deals to be had right now into Christmas.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Aprilia
For the first few months of each year you see Subaru dealers trying to shift the previous year's models. They are also not helped by the likes of Motorpoint bringing in vehicles from Cyprus at way under UK list price.
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - Falkirk Bairn
Subaru have sold 20% fewer
vehicles than they did by this time in 2005. Reckon some
excellent deals to be had right now into Christmas.

If you have loads of wonga and fancy an R Class Dealers have £12K Bonus to shift metal that has sat in the showroom for about 6mths
Considering a Subaru Forester 2.5XT - MVP
Got a flyer from a dealer near us who has 2.0 XEs with leather, cruise and big sun roof etc for £17.5k OTR

A lot of car for the money