The road safety act - new laws - moonshine

I thought the back room might be interested in this, it's taken from thelawwestofealingbroadway.blogspot.com/

It gives a nice summary of the key points, I've extracted them here. These are due to come into force next year.

Roadside Evidential Breath Tests Will obviate the need to take the driver to the police station. The new machines are very expensive so introduction will be slow.
Compulsory re-testing for repeat offenders applies to second-time drink drivers.
Trial of Alcohol-ignition interlocks will allow the court to order that for the second part of a ban (after at least a year) the offender may drive but only in a car fitted with a built-in breath tester that will lock out the engine if he is over a quarter of the present limit (i.e 9ug/100ml).
High-Risk Offenders medical rules are being tightened and doctors? evidence will be required before a licence is issued.
Speeding Points will now be graduated from 2 to 6. Very high speeds will still result in a court appearance and likely ban.
Camera Detectors and Jammers will be banned, other than GPS-based systems.
Section 172 offences of failing to nominate the driver will now carry 6 points, so there is no benefit to a driver whose speed was up in the 6 point range refusing to name the driver and thus get away with only 3 points.
Careless Driving Maximum fine doubled to £5000.
Use of Mobile Phone Now endorsable with 3 points
Dangerous Condition A second offence within 3 years will carry a minimum 6-month ban.
Children?s Seat Belts Now applies to rear seats as well as front.
Graduated Fixed Penalties for Goods Vehicles What it says. Can be given By VOSA staff as well as police.
Retraining Courses Will become available for careless driving and speeding, with a discount on points or ban for those who take them.
Foreign Drivers Will have to pay a deposit of £300 against a fine or costs before being allowed to proceed.
Driving Licences Paper licences will be withdrawn.

I think it mostly makes sense, the issue (as always) will be ensuring that it is applied correctly.
The road safety act - new laws - artful dodger {P}
>>Section 172 offences of failing to nominate the driver will now carry 6 points, so there is no benefit to a driver whose speed was up in the 6 point range refusing to name the driver and thus get away with only 3 points.

This section could be superceded if European law rules that nominating the driver without a police caution breaches the registered owner's Human Rights laws.

It is still a contensious issue, especially if you do not know who was driving as there were several on the same day.

All of the other key points have my general support.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
The road safety act - new laws - martint123
I dunno - when I paid for my driving license last time, I paid on the statement that it would last me until I was 70 (I think).
Now they're backing out of it to force me into a more expensive one that needs expensive renewing on a regular basis.

The road safety act - new laws - Dwight Van Driver
This much trumpetted Act received Royal Assent on 8th Novermber 2006.

Only two sections, (1) Road Safety grants and (49) disclosure of licensing and registration particulars to foreign authorities will come into force on 8th January 2007.

The rest is a hotch potch of bits and pieces that has to be brought into effect by a succession of Stat Instruments as and when Sec of State deems so.

PU will love it?

dvd
The road safety act - new laws - Pugugly {P}
Been reading up on it today........ {:-o)
The road safety act - new laws - fray bentos
One assumes you'llnow get 2 points and a fine for doing 31 mph in a 30 limit, whereas before you could do up to 35mph and still be within the acceptable limit. They will be raking it in and drivers will be staring at their speedos and not the road ahead. This is not a wise move.
The road safety act - new laws - IanJohnson
drivers will be staring at their speedos and not the road ahead. This is not a
wise move.

I still don't understand this mentality - ar you saying that (some) drivers ONLY look at their speedos when they are likely to be caught speeding - if so they should not be driving at all!
The road safety act - new laws - fray bentos
Absolutely!
The road safety act - new laws - SimonM
>>Foreign Drivers Will have to pay a deposit of £300 against a fine or costs before being allowed to proceed.
<<

And about time too, Now all we need is for them to contribute to road tax and fuel duty, Now that would be progress

simon
The road safety act - new laws - Bagpuss
Driving Licences Paper licences will be withdrawn.

When I was back in the UK a few weeks back I went to collect my rental car at Manchester Airport and noticed the guy in front of me at the counter was being given a hard time. The reason was that he had his credit card style licence but not the paper part. The rental company offered to phone the DVLC and charge him a 50 quid service fee, otherwise he would not be allowed to take the rental car. It makes me wonder what the point is of these credit card style licences in the UK.

I didn't have this problem as I simply handed over my German driving licence, which the rental car employee clearly couldn't read, and was handed the keys to my car.
The road safety act - new laws - IanJohnson
Trial of Alcohol-ignition interlocks will allow the court to order that
for the second part of a ban (after at least a
year) the offender may drive but only in a car fitted
with a built-in breath tester that will lock out the engine
if he is over a quarter of the present limit (i.e
9ug/100ml).

Those who routinely break the law will ignore it so what will change! We have enough repeat offenders who have been banned driving already!
High-Risk Offenders medical rules are being tightened and doctors? evidence will
be required before a licence is issued.

Like a doctor should confirm anyone over 70 is still fit to drive!

Just shows how far the government, and the Home Office, are out of touch with reality!
The road safety act - new laws - Collos25
Before you can enforce any law you need police on the streets thats the deciding factor,the chief constable who covers the bottom of the M1 has said he will not police the new 2up occupancy lane when its completed which seems to make that a rather waste of money I think you would need to increase by tenfold operational police to have the slightest effect but then our prisons are full but I am sure they will release some more asyllum seekers from detention to allow parking fine dodgers to to do their stretch.