Knackerd steering due to humps - liddelljohn
In my family we have a total of 5 cars and 1 pickup truck,

4 cars are in the UK a SAAB 900 belonging to my Dad a Fiat Punto belonging to my mother and my brother and his wife have 2 Kia,s.

In Thailand I have a Nissan Maxima?Cefiro and an Isuzu Pickup.

What we have noticed with the cars is that due to poor roads in Southern England and Thailand and also road calming measures , we have had to have the sterring and front suspension arms and bushes replaced about every 60,000miles , this never used to be my experience , in years past it was rare to have to change out these item so often,average cost about £600.00
Another stealth tax job creation scheme.

My Nissan in Thailand is an excellent car but lacks the dynamics of a SAAB or Audi, the Isuzu pickup has now reached 250,000 miles on original engine and gearbox, superb machine tough as old boots on or off road.

My dads SAAB 900 V6 is 10 years old but superb, a minter, it will run for 20years.

My brother swears by the Kia he does a very high mileage his only gripe is the suspension wear that I mentioned above.

My mums Fiat is lively realiable and fun. Local Fiat dealers are cheap for service.except for replacement keys.Transponder keys for Fiat are very expensive if you can get them.

JCL

Knackerd steering due to humps - Aprilia
Another stealth tax job creation scheme.

Not sure how its a 'stealth tax' ??
Wear in steering system due to road humps must be pretty neglible (assuming you approach them 'straight on' and not at an angle). Similarly I would think wear in anti-roll bar drop links would be small - its 'shocks' - like driving over potholes, that would wear these. The major wear arising from road humps is likely to be in the suspension arm metalastic bushes - but assuming you go over them at a sensible speed then you should be OK. Early this year we sold my wife's '98 Primera which had done 80K (we had it from almost new). That car went over 16 humps each day (8 each way) and there was no problem with the suspension at all.
I suspect that a lot of problems are due to modern designs and flimsier components - its not unusual for late model (post 02) VW Polos to have knocking droplinks at 20k miles - and that's whether they go over humps or not! My friend who runs an MoT station is also often failing small Pugs at their first MoT for worn steering balljoints - often they have less than 30k on the clock.
Knackerd steering due to humps - Phil I
>you go over them at a sensible speed then you should be ok.

Thank heavens for some sanity on the subject of speed humps. I get very tired of reading how awful they are - destroying suspension and scaring the sheep and cows et.et.

Presumably the speedsters do not see the signs warning of humps just as they do not see the restriction indicators (those big round things with numbers on) and collect photographs and penalty points.

Happy Motoring at Sensible speeds. Down with 4 x 4s.
Phil I
Yes, people not slowing for speed humps are a bit of sore point with me. I had the back bumper of my last Merc smashed up by a woman who tailgated me and then ran into me as I slowed down for a speed hump. It was a 20mph zone and I slowed (gently) to something like 10mph as I went up the hump. She was driving a Chrysler 4x4 and the reason she gave for ramming me was that she 'didn't expect me to slow down because she didn't have to in her 4x4' - wonderful! Still her husband (owner of a local roofing company who seemed to be as intellectually challenged as she was) came round to my house a day later and paid for the damage in cash - so all sorted out OK thankfully.
Knackerd steering due to humps - Lud
So if we get those we can hammer along at 20mph instead of getting in the way like Aprilia then?

Of course one sympathises with him for wanting to make whatever car he was driving last for ever, but not for crawling along getting in the way at half the super-low speed limit unless there was a very good reason, which he didn't give.

What is this goddam 10mph garbage? Aprilia I am ashamed of you even if you aren't.
So if we get those we can hammer along at 20mph
instead of getting in the way like Aprilia then?
Of course one sympathises with him for wanting to make whatever
car he was driving last for ever, but not for crawling
along getting in the way at half the super-low speed limit
unless there was a very good reason, which he didn't give.
What is this goddam 10mph garbage? Aprilia I am ashamed of
you even if you aren't.

You write some daft stuff, you should be ashamed of yourself, don't worry about me. Road is 20mph and has about 6 humps/platforms along it. It is narrow and runs in front of a primary school - which is why the humps are there I suppose. It also has large and very smart 'executive style' houses each side (the people in them may own flash and fast motors but they don't like folks speeding along in front of **their** properties). Anyway, given the circumstances and the fact that the humps are quite steep (like 45 degree slope on them) then 10mph is about right IMHO. (OK, it may not have been 10mph, it could have been 12 or 15, but it was less than 20mph).
Knackerd steering due to humps - Lud
Yeah, sorry Aprilia I suppose, but I do hate this slower than thou carp... I know you like cars and have proper ones and drive them. I know too that there are some very steep speed bumps, but not many that really reduce an undamaged car to 10mph.

As for primary schools, 20mph is quite slow enough. And as for rich prats wanting you to go slowly past their haciendas... do something rather rude to 'em, knowImean? If I were rich I would campaign against speed bumps in front of my hacienda and put a notice up urging people to go faster.

Being poor though I just have to tolerate the clamour in front of my house, or I suppose I should call it the house where I live. People can't usually go fast there in the hours of daylight, but they do when they can, and I'm entirely in favour. . . Although there was this Mercedes tried to kill me out of the bus stopp once, must have hit 70 in about 30 yards, amazing, I had to run for my life, like to meet that so-and-so...