Vectra C DTI 2.2 with PAS Fluid Leak - Andy_ok
Hi,

I've been offered a very clean 52 plate SXI Vectra 2.2 DTi. 97K miles, never been crashed, through my fleet department at work, for around £3K. It went for its 4 year MOT last week, and the garage have said that there is a PAS fluid leak from somewhere. They have steam cleaned the area so that it will be obvious where its coming from. The fleet manager has said that I might wan't to reconsider purchasing this vehicle in light of this info. Any opionins on the source of this leak, and any fixes or costs would be appreciated. It's a vehicle that I would be running personally for 6 months, before selling on.

Andy_ok
Vectra C DTI 2.2 with PAS Fluid Leak - Chris M
It may not be a big problem. On my Vectra (a B, so may of course be completely different to a C), it was a washer on one of the pipes. Washer was only a few pence, but was a pig to get to unless car was on a ramp. Local garage charged about £50 which included the fluid, labour and VAT.
Vectra C DTI 2.2 with PAS Fluid Leak - Dynamic Dave
On my Vectra (a B, so may of course be completely different to a C),

The Vec-C has electro-hydraulic PAS, whereas the Vec-B has the more traditional system that is run from a pump powered by the engine. The principles are pretty much the same though, just a differetn way of powering the PAS pump.

Only way you can tell where the leak is coming from is to wait for the area that has been cleaned to start showing signs of the leak again. Could be something as simple as a loose fitting, to something more serious like a perished hydraulic pipe or the pump itself.
Vectra C DTI 2.2 with PAS Fluid Leak - elekie&a/c doctor
You say it has never been crashed,but a slight knock to the o/s front bumper area is enough to damage some of the pas components,especially the electro/hydraulic pump unit which is located here.
Vectra C DTI 2.2 with PAS Fluid Leak - Andy_ok
The problem is will have no further chance to look at it before I decide to buy or not. As the price is good I could afford to spend on it, but I would like an idea of what the worst case scenario & cost is, or an indication if it could be a minor issue.

It still seems to be all original at the front , so I don't think it's had even a minor bumpt to the front corner.